• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tuesday Practice updates

ncfan

2 hours ago, jtm said:

I'm not convinced Daryl Williams is a "first class starter" at LT yet.  My source said our OL looked bad and this was confirmed against the Bills.  Let's hope they gel soon.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

DW at LT concerns me. He needed help at RT against good pass rushers. I get why were so hell-bent on keeping Moton at RT since Little is our long-term plan at LT, but we may need to call an audible and simply field our best OL and right now that's probably Moton at LT and DW at RT.

Williams looked surprisingly good at LT against the bills, one of the bight spots. 

3 hours ago, Toomers said:

And we just had too many holes to spend two quality picks on a “future” project. Is it that Little is that bad or Ron hanging with the vets. Who knows at this point? 

I'd argue LT is way too important not to address, even if it meant trading up.

Getting Darryl Williams to resign was an unexpected bonus (and gives Little more time to develop), but needed a LT and EDGE rusher in the worst way.

What we've seen from Burns is exceptional, and honestly ahead of schedule, even for high draft picks at a premium position like LT or EDGE.

Just bc Little isnt locking everyone down right out of the gate is not the end of the world. He is going against some of the best athletes in the country. Even coming from the SEC, the jump in competition is enormous.

Having Little at LT and Williams at LG to start the season was a "stars all aligning scenario."

And while he may not be great, Van Roten is not Amini Silatolu level bad either.

Cam having adequate offensive line play (which we had even with Chris Clark and GVR on the left side during the 1st half of last year at least) will be better than what we've provided him for a lot of his career and he's still performed.

We gave him Byron Bell and Nate Chandler to start 2014. That was criminal and he still survived.

Our projected offensive line (even with GVR) must seem like a dream compared to that.

4 hours ago, Toomers said:

Right now it’s true. We moved up for a player who can’t start over a OT that has never played LT in his career. So until he proves otherwise, he’s depth and the decision to take him is still questionable. 

Actually Williams did play left tackle in 2013 for Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl against Alabama.  Just saying......

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Actually Williams did play left tackle in 2013 for Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl against Alabama.  Just saying......

Oh FFS! I didn’t count his PeeWee achievements either. This is one of the saddest in a long line of “reaches” to spread that sunshine. 

Just now, stbugs said:

I still don’t get why there seems to be no competition for Van Roten. We’ve ignored LG in two drafts and off-seasons since Norwell left. It’s almost as bad as S, although now that Boston is back and Reid signed a 3 year deal, maybe LG is worse. Just because we hit on an UDFA at LG doesn’t mean every UDFA LG is starter material. Van Roten was so bad after a decent start. 

What are your bottom three positions(not including STs)?

14 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I'd argue LT is way too important not to address, even if it meant trading up.

Getting Darryl Williams to resign was an unexpected bonus (and gives Little more time to develop), but needed a LT and EDGE rusher in the worst way.

What we've seen from Burns is exceptional, and honestly ahead of schedule, even for high draft picks at a premium position like LT or EDGE.

Just bc Little isnt locking everyone down right out of the gate is not the end of the world. He is going against some of the best athletes in the country. Even coming from the SEC, the jump in competition is enormous.

Having Little at LT and Williams at LG to start the season was a "stars all aligning scenario."

And while he may not be great, Van Roten is not Amini Silatolu level bad either.

Cam having adequate offensive line play (which we had even with Chris Clark and GVR on the left side during the 1st half of last year at least) will be better than what we've provided him for a lot of his career and he's still performed.

We gave him Byron Bell and Nate Chandler to start 2014. That was criminal and he still survived.

Our projected offensive line (even with GVR) must seem like a dream compared to that.

And with what little the actual point, we are still starting DW and GVR. Evidently with or without Little it seems. So why did we “have to have a LT”? At the expense of two players. Or why would you trade up for a project that probably falls anyhow. 

What happens when DW  can’t make the transition, or gets hurt again, and Little isn’t ready. You want to act like that’s not a possibility. I would argue it’s more probable than not. No one here was considering DW as a candidate for LT at all. We thought he was gone for that very reason. Now, suddenly, he’s going to be fine and flourish at a position here never played. 

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Slot/Nickel, LG and FS. I think those are the positions where our worst starters are. Sure, other spots would hurt more if we have an injury (Cam, CMC, Luke), but those are the holes we have in our defense and OL. Our skilled positions on offense are honestly as good as you get. Our front 7, CBs and SS are solid as well. The C to RT is solid and even LT has depth.

I just hope another G emerges, Elliott takes the reigns and Boston channels his last two seasons for us. Then we might be a solid team and hopefully healthy. 

Those seem like you and RR have something in common.......  I thought for sure Dorian Johnson(already cut) would have pushed GVR. One of the big reason I liked Little at LT was that williams could man the LG. I also believe Larsen would be a better LG too, granted he had a poor showing recently. GVR did start off good, just as good as norwell for those first 6 games, but remember the HUGE mess to his left. He also was the only player to take all snaps last year, so you know he had to be playing hurt at the end. Still it would be nice to have a LG emerge and GVR be a top backup, I dont want another bersin deal.

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

Sort of like you pretending I didn’t post about how he was an excellent signing in the same post. You can be a good RT and suck at LT. Wasn’t a hard concept to grasp.

So do you think Williams sucks at LT?

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

So do you think Williams sucks at LT?

I have no idea. Not judging him either way off a couple snaps in a preseason game. But there has seemed to be an effort to keep him at RT for his career. College and pro. I hope he great. But what has happened since the season ended that would lead me to believe he is no doubt going to be solid? That’s all. 

Archived