• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Offensive Line

Jimmy

This is simple thread topic. I've seen comments in other threads addressing our o-line play the other night. Thought it would be good just to talk about it all in one place.

I'm seriously concerned. Just didn't look good. Ron said so, beat writers said do, my eyes said so.

What say you Huddle?

It could be worse. We could be Houston and be looking forward to a year of Matt kalil at LT, but we been there...done that.

That said....it still ain't good, we need better and if Rivera/Hurney want a job here next year, they better get that fixed.

20 minutes ago, Cuttinedge said:

There isn’t a qb alive who can withstand 16 games behind this OLine 

Definitely not the one that played the Patriots Friday night. Hopefully they gel in the next 2 weeks. Honestly think they should move some pieces around, particularly Moton and Williams. 

I agree they haven't looked great but did you expect them to be sharp when 3 of the 5 members of the line have changed from last year and 2 of them are playing their first meaningful snaps in almost a year? I'm sure there'll be growing pains the first few weeks but before we decide we need to completely turn over our line again next year, let's make sure it's not just a matter of getting rid of the rust and gelling together. 

1 minute ago, Panthera onca said:

I think one of the biggest issues is putting guys in the wrong position. Williams to right tackle, Moton to left, maybe Little at left guard would seem like a better lineup. Hopefully Paradis comes around some after more practice time.

Beat me to it!

Just now, Navy_football said:

Definitely not the one that played the Patriots Friday night. Hopefully they gel in the next 2 weeks. Honestly think they should move some pieces around, particularly Moton and Williams. 

Wouldn't moving pieces around make it harder to gel? 

Just now, trueblade said:

Wouldn't moving pieces around make it harder to gel? 

True. Unless the pieces are out of position. Williams is a pro bowl level right tackle when healthy. Why switch him to the left side when coming off an injury? Particularly since he's never shown any great ability at that position in the past. 

Fans tend to only attribute bad play to player talent etc. The O line has to play as a unit to be effective. What I saw made me think there was just really poor communication. With Our new C being new and not participating much in practice, I’m hopeful they can get the needed chemistry. It won’t look great the first few weeks though.

under the current CBA, O line play always lags behind D line play.

16 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I agree they haven't looked great but did you expect them to be sharp when 3 of the 5 members of the line have changed from last year and 2 of them are playing their first meaningful snaps in almost a year? I'm sure there'll be growing pains the first few weeks but before we decide we need to completely turn over our line again next year, let's make sure it's not just a matter of getting rid of the rust and gelling together. 

Here is what I expect...a generational talent at QB should be protected. Figure it out

The OL is very concerning. It was concerning several months ago. Not much has changed. Realistically the odds that change was going to be immediate 3 games into the preseason was always extremely low. It's not plug and play like madden ultimate team. Guys need time to gel.

I wouldn't read too much into how things played out against the Patriots. Vanilla offense with no gameplanning against a blitzing defense that let's just be frank here, basically won the Super Bowl for the Patriots against a very prolific offense in the Rams in the lowest scoring Super Bowl in history. Honestly the injury scare with Cam is moreso on the staff for not properly considering how the Patriots would approach this game. They were looking to send a message. If you are going to put your franchise QB out there just to get reps, you need to be running plays to minimize the possibility of exposing your QB to hits. Again, the staff needs to be more intelligent about these things.

Archived