• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam’s 16 throws before halftime after the apparent foot injury

ellis

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Do we believe that the foot injury is enough to explain that problem?

I'm not sure that would explain it.  Why would it only effect his throw in only one direction?  It should effect his throw no matter what direction he throws if his stepping into it?

Sidenote the throwing motion and footwork looks a lot better than early cam

now some of the throws to the right needed to be overthrown, either the s was zooming in or cam was making the throw too late, but it looked as if two may have been batted down or even int if in the field of play 

I wonder if passing to the right puts more strain on the foot ? That pass to wright was miles away 

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not sure that would explain it.  Why would it only effect his throw in only one direction?  It should effect his throw no matter what direction he throws if his stepping into it?

Williams is the one that's effecting that direction. I would not want to turn my back to that guy either. 

It also doesnt look like he's getting turned as far to the right for his throws. to the left and middle he steps into it and his arm goes across his body with the follow through. To the right after rewatching 10 times, it looks like he's loading up his throws to the right. he's double stepping into his throws. May mean something, may mean nothing. To the left he does a little extra step on the longer throws but nowhere near the same as to the right.

Edit: I changed part of my previous post after I got to review better on a bigger screen.

There is no way for the casual observer to know if the foot injury contributed to the missed throws unless they know exactly where and how his foot is injured and then it is still up for debate - and I don't remember hearing anything specific about exactly where and what is injured - a foot sprain covers a lot of ground.  The foot is a very complex set of bones,  ligaments,  tendons, and muscles.  Some movements and pressure can be almost pain free while a similar motion could be excruciatingly painful or very uncomfortable when an injury is present.  And it differs from individual to individual.  Think of a back injury with possibly more moving parts in a smaller area.

32 minutes ago, Snake said:

Williams is the one that's effecting that direction. I would not want to turn my back to that guy either. 

That is a good observation.  No one can be certain exactly what's going on in Cam's head in the moment, but the QB is in a vulnerable spot when he's turning his body from the "blind side."

Maybe subconsciously he is concerned with an impending hit and it's affecting his throws.

Also, rewatching makes you realize that the coverage was really good on a good bit of those throws.

Its frustrating b/c had we been able to not completely crap the bed in the redzone we still would have won, but Tampa had a great defensive game plan and executed it.

It also throws a little cold water on how good Moore and Samuel are as a starting WR pair. 

I still think they are better than what we have had post-Smitty, but Tampa obviously had confidence in their defense playing a lot of man-to-man 

Both ended up with decent stats, but you could make the argument it was due to volume versus them really terrorizing a secondary 

13 minutes ago, ellis said:

2nd half. 

This is tough to watch. That was the worst half I've ever seen Cam play and one of the worst offensive halves we've had during Cam's tenure... it sucks it came in a national game (our only of the year).

It's a credit to the defense we even had a shot to win it at the end.

I love Cam, but watching that gives you perspective. If Cam's foot is bothering him as much as it seemed to in the 2nd Half, there is no doubt Allen is a better option in the short term.

I'm frustrated in watching that by the playcalling (are we allergic to screens?) and the offensive line wasn't good by any means, but there were throws to be had a NFL QB has to make

Competent QB play would have gotten us a win no doubt.

I want Cam to come back, but we need him better than this.

Thanks for posting

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, I've said it a few times in various threads. He straight up can't throw to the right at the moment for whatever reason.

Yips?

When the "new & improved throwing motion" slobbering was going on there was some concern that under game conditions there could be some negative fallout....

....namely in the form of the yips.

Baseball players get it, certain pitchers & short-stops all of a sudden lose the ability to throw to 1st base.

Golf, often players get the yips with the putter or driver and can't hole out or keep it in-bounds depending on the shot.  Yips have killed LOTS of golf careers.

I'm pulling for Cam but many of those throws were just god-awful.....very yip like.

Archived