• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Five Possible Timelines of Cam Newton’s Future With the Panthers

PantherBrew

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/26/20884805/five-timelines-cam-newton-future-carolina-panthers 

I think this is a really fair and well thought out article. Scenario 1 is the hope.

Let us hope that Allen is the real deal and let us hope that Cam gets healthy and returns to his former glory. I never want to see #1 in anything but black and blue (the uniform, not bruises).

I’m thinking that if Cam gets back to 90-100% and even if the team does well with Allen that Ron starts Cam. The main reason being is they have to see what Cam can do at full strength, contract will be discussed next year and could get cut with only a 2mil loss.

And of course the fact that Ron owes his long tenure in Charlotte and two COTY awards to Cam.

9 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

I’m thinking that if Cam gets back to 90-100% and even if the team does well with Allen that Ron starts Cam. The main reason being is they have to see what Cam can do at full strength, contract will be discussed next year and could get cut with only a 2mil loss.

And of course the fact that Ron owes his long tenure in Charlotte and two COTY awards to Cam.

One goes to Luke

Great article.

There are two scenarios I’ve been thinking about the past week that are the most interesting to me.

1. Kyle plays decently well, and Cam comes back and plays about the same as Kyle did. Who do they stick with next year? An aging guy who might be on the decline but has serious upside or a cheap young unproven guy who could get better but might ultimately just be a Jag.

2. Kyle plays well and Cam comes back and plays worse. The article mentioned this scenario, but I really think this is the nightmare scenario for this org. Ron does not want to bench Cam under those circumstances. It would immediately signal that cams time is done and would be a huge distraction. It’s also really bad for cam. I don’t see Cam sitting out the year to avoid this risk but it could happen.

1 minute ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I believe we've seen Cam Newton's last game as a Panther.  He won't play the rest of the season, and the team is not going to make an investment in him next year given his injury history.

I kind of feel this way as well. During Cam's first couple seasons, I had this vision of when Cam was 10 years older. Slow, broken, and generally uninterested in the game anymore. It happened a little sooner than I had predicted.

Just now, DeAngelo Beason said:

I believe we've seen Cam Newton's last game as a Panther.  He won't play the rest of the season, and the team is not going to make an investment in him next year given his injury history.

I think Newton plays a few more games this season at least.  But the 2015 version you will not see ever again.  Father time is undefeated.  I also do not think he will get another extension from the Panthers.    

It's an interesting situation, certainly.

The question that seems to me to be most relevant is one that no one has the answer to:  Does Cam really *want* to play?  Not just, I like the money, so I want to play.  Does Cam have the absolutely burning desire to win a championship.  It's a question only Cam can answer, and even if asked, I'm not sure you could tell whether you got a real answer or not.  It's a really tricky, delicate question.

I think that there are so many factors swirling around right now, we won't know what the real answer is until after the season.

14 minutes ago, BrianS said:

It's an interesting situation, certainly.

The question that seems to me to be most relevant is one that no one has the answer to:  Does Cam really *want* to play?  Not just, I like the money, so I want to play.  Does Cam have the absolutely burning desire to win a championship.  It's a question only Cam can answer, and even if asked, I'm not sure you could tell whether you got a real answer or not.  It's a really tricky, delicate question.

I think that there are so many factors swirling around right now, we won't know what the real answer is until after the season.

He played with a lis franc injury for two games behind shitty protection in pain and getting hit relentlessly.  NO ONE should be question his desire.  He could have just went on IR and cashed them checks all year.  

Just now, PantherBrew said:

He played with a lis franc injury for two games behind shitty protection in pain and getting hit relentlessly.  NO ONE should be question his desire.  He could have just went on IR and cashed them checks all year.  

Did you watch his last interview?  It's more than enough to make anyone question.

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

Did you watch his last interview?  It's more than enough to make anyone question.

Yes I have watched it all.  Being annoyed, sad, tired, hurting AND he had lost 9 straight games will make people not sound enthusiastic.  You are entitled to read into that whatever you want, but I go by what I have seen him go through.  He wants to win and he keeps having setbacks, of course he is frustrated, but you make it seem like he doesnt care about football anymore. 

Archived