• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam vs Kyle

AU-panther

Idk why some think we will hand out a long term contract to cam after the recent injury bug. 

It would be smart to let him heal 100%, than see what we have from that point. Even then before a long term contract is given I’d still consider franchise tagging him one year to see if he can replicate success even before shelling out another long term contract. 

As far as Kyle we need to make sure this isn’t like Keemun with the vikes, I want to see how he performs when coaches have tape on him before declaring him cams successor 

11 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Idk why some think we will hand out a long term contract to cam after the recent injury bug. 

It would be smart to let him heal 100%, than see what we have from that point. Even then before a long term contract is given I’d still consider franchise tagging him one year to see if he can replicate success even before shelling out another long term contract. 

As far as Kyle we need to make sure this isn’t like Keemun with the vikes, I want to see how he performs when coaches have tape on him before declaring him cams successor 

I'm not sure how well a franchise tag would go over.  Pure speculation on my part but I could see all parties be more interested in a split.

Would Cam push to be moved before playing on a one year deal?  I wouldn't blame him one bit if he wanted an extension even if that meant pushing for a trade or a release.

32 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

The name "Jake Delhomme" probably has a lot to do with it.

We can hope that Marty learned from that, but you also have to factor in that Cam Newton is a legitimate franchise player where Delhomme was not.

Even knowing that though, given his recent injury history, I'd be kind of gun shy about using the franchise tag. As far as I know though, he still has one more year before his contract expires anyway.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The name "Jake Delhomme" probably has a lot to do with it.

We can hope that Marty learned from that, but you also have to factor in that Cam Newton is a legitimate franchise player where Delhomme was not.

Even knowing that though, given his recent injury history, I'd be kind of gun shy about using the franchise tag. As far as I know though, he still has one more year before his contract expires anyway.

I don’t think Tepper is playing that, mishandling this situation is a fireable offense. 

18 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

I don’t think Tepper is playing that, mishandling this situation is a fireable offense. 

We don't really know how hands-on Tepper is yet.

I'm encouraged that he's decided to concentrate on the Panthers and set the hedge-fund stuff aside, but even now we really don't know what kind of owner he's going to be.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

We don't really know how hands-on Tepper is yet.

I'm encouraged that he's decided to concentrate on the Panthers and set the hedge-fund stuff aside, but even now we really don't know what kind of owner he's going to be.

With the current regime job already in jeopardy and the coach as well, with speculation that he’d be Interested in Colbert if he left also, I highly doubt a move like this would be made without Tepper signing off.

smart thing is to see how cam performs healthy and for next year before even considering signing him long term 

9 hours ago, AU-panther said:

First of all, let me say I hope they both play well, because ultimately that is what is better for the Panthers, but when it comes time to decide what to do you have to factor in salary cap implications.

Next season is Cams final year of his current contract.  This offseason would be the logical time to extend Cam, most players, especially high level QBs like Cam are going to expect to be extended before their last year.  So even without the emergence of Kyle there were going to be some tough decisions to be made by the organization this offseason.

From what I understand we have Kyle on a really cheap deal for the next 3 years.  Cutting Cam next year would save about $19m in 2020.  If Cam comes back healthy and plays well he is going to expect something in the $30+m range, which he should, that is the going rate for quality starting QBs now.

So the question is really do you go with Cam? or Kyle + an extra 20-35m in cap space?

Think about it in terms of personnel,  Cam or Kyle + Clowney or Chris Jones + random $10m free agent. No guarantee either will be available but to illustrate a point.  Or more cap to resign one of our younger guys that we might not be able to normally keep.

Also, what if Kyle wasn't playing well?  Would it be a lock for us to resign Cam?  I'm not convinced it would be, given his injury history and age. Also not to mention we have a new owner.  At some point he might want his own GM and that GM might want his own coach, and that coach might want his own QB.

It is definitely going to be an interesting year and off season.  How Kyle plays the rest of the season could definitely make the decision easier, but if Kyle plays bad that doesn't mean you automatically resign Cam.  You don't pay a guy $35m just because you don't have another option, if that is the case you go find another option.  If he is healthy and playing well you strongly consider paying him what the market dictates though.

Personally I could really see the team moving on from Cam this offseason and/or Cam wanting out.  He is going to want a long term deal and I'm not convinced the team wants to.  Under that scenario best case for the team is that Cam comes back healthy to help his trade value.  I'm not convinced its as high as some on here think.

Kyle Allen has a nice ass 

Unless Cam comes back and leads us to the SB, I think they will go in a different direction and I hate that because I really like Cam. 2015 was so special. But, you can't afford to extend Luke, pay CMC, Samuel, Bradberry and Shaq and maybe sign a new guy or 2. And what about DJ Moore in 2 years? I think they take the money, Allen and Grier and role the dice with keeping the rest of the team in tack (if they remain healthy and play well).

8 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not sure how well a franchise tag would go over.  Pure speculation on my part but I could see all parties be more interested in a split.

Would Cam push to be moved before playing on a one year deal?  I wouldn't blame him one bit if he wanted an extension even if that meant pushing for a trade or a release.

I don’t see that out of cam, of course he wants to get paid, but I don’t see him as the type to pull a Kirk cousins and go finesse another team out of money, a one year deal is a win-win for both parties given his injury history, if he balls out he’s gonna get paid, if he gets hurt or performs bad than it may be time for a change of scenery for both parties 

11 hours ago, joemac said:

I think its too early to tell one way or the other.  We really need to see how Cam heals and how he looks when he comes back.  If hes the Cam of old, then no question we sign him and dont look back....and this is regardless if Allen continues to play well or not.  If Cam is Cam, then hes our guy, IMO.  If Allen continues to play well then we have 2 proven starting QB's and that would open up a whole slew of possibilities.  Someone out there would be willing to give up some draft capital for a player like Allen.  Possibly even a 1st rounder depending on how well he plays the rest of his time this year.  Its not a bad situation to be in for the team.

Although I will say this, it will be one difficult decision to make if Allen continues to play well.  Having a starting QB on a rookie contract (not to mention an UDFA rookie contract) is a BIG bonus to teams, and allows you to really build a strong roster around that QB.  So, Tepper and Hurney (or the new GM) have a big decision ahead of them.

I'd rather see what people would give up for Cam, and keep Allen on his rookie-ish deal. We still have Grier as well.

Cam is trade bait at best, not worth starting money. He looks great in camp when he's not getting hit, but when that red shirt comes off, he panicks now. Can't make simple reads fast enough and then blames phantom injury ... Every year now.

Archived