• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam vs Kyle

AU-panther

First of all, let me say I hope they both play well, because ultimately that is what is better for the Panthers, but when it comes time to decide what to do you have to factor in salary cap implications.

Next season is Cams final year of his current contract.  This offseason would be the logical time to extend Cam, most players, especially high level QBs like Cam are going to expect to be extended before their last year.  So even without the emergence of Kyle there were going to be some tough decisions to be made by the organization this offseason.

From what I understand we have Kyle on a really cheap deal for the next 3 years.  Cutting Cam next year would save about $19m in 2020.  If Cam comes back healthy and plays well he is going to expect something in the $30+m range, which he should, that is the going rate for quality starting QBs now.

So the question is really do you go with Cam? or Kyle + an extra 20-35m in cap space?

Think about it in terms of personnel,  Cam or Kyle + Clowney or Chris Jones + random $10m free agent. No guarantee either will be available but to illustrate a point.  Or more cap to resign one of our younger guys that we might not be able to normally keep.

Also, what if Kyle wasn't playing well?  Would it be a lock for us to resign Cam?  I'm not convinced it would be, given his injury history and age. Also not to mention we have a new owner.  At some point he might want his own GM and that GM might want his own coach, and that coach might want his own QB.

It is definitely going to be an interesting year and off season.  How Kyle plays the rest of the season could definitely make the decision easier, but if Kyle plays bad that doesn't mean you automatically resign Cam.  You don't pay a guy $35m just because you don't have another option, if that is the case you go find another option.  If he is healthy and playing well you strongly consider paying him what the market dictates though.

Personally I could really see the team moving on from Cam this offseason and/or Cam wanting out.  He is going to want a long term deal and I'm not convinced the team wants to.  Under that scenario best case for the team is that Cam comes back healthy to help his trade value.  I'm not convinced its as high as some on here think.

I think its too early to tell one way or the other.  We really need to see how Cam heals and how he looks when he comes back.  If hes the Cam of old, then no question we sign him and dont look back....and this is regardless if Allen continues to play well or not.  If Cam is Cam, then hes our guy, IMO.  If Allen continues to play well then we have 2 proven starting QB's and that would open up a whole slew of possibilities.  Someone out there would be willing to give up some draft capital for a player like Allen.  Possibly even a 1st rounder depending on how well he plays the rest of his time this year.  Its not a bad situation to be in for the team.

Although I will say this, it will be one difficult decision to make if Allen continues to play well.  Having a starting QB on a rookie contract (not to mention an UDFA rookie contract) is a BIG bonus to teams, and allows you to really build a strong roster around that QB.  So, Tepper and Hurney (or the new GM) have a big decision ahead of them.

Just now, ecu88 said:

My heart wants Cam play here for his whole career and to retire here.

My brain sees potential with the Cap Space if KA keeps it up and Cam cannot absolutely recover.

Yep, thats the biggest thing nagging at me.  If Allen continues to show hes a legit starter, why not take this opportunity to build an incredible roster around him and see what happens?  IDK....still a lot of time and football to happen before these decisions are made.

Just now, App Panther said:

I'm in the Allen+Cap space camp. But I got blasted for making a thread about this, so good luck. 

Just now, ecu88 said:

My heart wants Cam play here for his whole career and to retire here.

My brain sees potential with the Cap Space if KA keeps it up and Cam cannot absolutely recover.

what would you use cap space for? What are we missing in terms of roster right now?

8 minutes ago, Mage said:

Let’s see Allen for more than 3 starts first.

But if Allen plays poorly do you automatically resign Cam to a monster deal?  That sounds like desperation.  In my opinion if you Allen plays well that makes it easier to move on from Cam, but if Allen plays bad that doesn't cause you to automatically resign Cam.

4 minutes ago, App Panther said:

I'm in the Allen+Cap space camp. But I got blasted for making a thread about this, so good luck. 

I'm not even saying which is better or which I want, people just need to factor in everything when deciding.  I could make the argument that best case is for Cam to come back healthy and play at league MVP level and you happily pay him the going rate ($35m).  I'm just not convinced that is the most likely option.

13 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

what would you use cap space for? What are we missing in terms of roster right now?

Why not set up long term with the cap space for young talent and potential Tiffany shopping next year?

Cam is here for this season. I want him healthy and the old fun loving Cam.

Time will tell. We know Allen is a good enough backup which itself is relieving. We had no idea how either would be at the beginning of the year. Teams will continue to get tape on Allen and he will need to continue developing, but the longer he plays, his real time game experience goes up which is extremely beneficial. We just have to wait and see it play out. Another interesting situation is if Cam returns later in the year, lights it up and leads us to playoff victories, then you could trade Allen for a 1st, and develop Grier and keep a vet as insurance. 

Most people aren’t taking into account what makes Cam so dangerous... he’s one of the best short yardage runners in NFL history and can escape the pocket for huge gains.

Do you sign Cam to a long term deal worth 30+ million knowing that he will probably become one dimensional very soon?

I think everything depends on when/if he returns how he plays as a pocket passer.

Archived