• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

10+ NFL teams really interested in seeing if Cam Newton goes up for trade

Saca312

There are three teams that come to mind that would give up a pretty big haul for Cam. They all contain a great defense that a legit QB would put them over the top: Bears, Titans, and Bills. Cam Newton (even at 80%) would no doubt have each of those teams as playoff contenders. If one of those teams offer up a ransom for Cam (I'm talking multiple 1st round draft picks + some 2nd or 3rd rounders or players) then I would be tempted. And that's not even counting middle tier teams that could use the marketability to up business.

This is such a dicey situation. Do you go back to your former MVP that has longevity concerns in hope he can dish out a few more prime years, or do you trade him for draft capital and hope Allen is our next franchise QB (or risk going back into that dreaded QB carousal for many years). Panthers have the hardest decision in franchise history to make, just glad I'm not the one that has to make it.

Trade values aren't near where they used to be. I'd be curious to see what teams might offer, but talk of a first rounder might as well be an alternate reality. Teams aren't giving up all that anymore, and if they are, it's for younger players early in their careers.

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Trade values aren't near where they used to be. I'd be curious to see what teams might offer, but talk of a first rounder might as well be an alternate reality. Teams aren't giving up all that anymore, and if they are, it's for younger players early in their careers.

Didnt the raders give up the farm for malik or however you spell his name.

7 minutes ago, TheRed said:

There really hasn’t been a major QB trade in quite a while.

Jimmy G went for a 2nd but he was a backup with like 4 games starting experience. I have heard the 49ers offered at least a 1st for Cousins to reunite him with Shanahan before they were able to get Jimmy G

Bradford went for a 1st but that was 3-4 years ago when Teddy’s knee exploded a week before week 1 so there was a lot of desperation involved for a team that was supposed to contend.

No one was willing to bite on Foles but everyone knew the Eagles couldn’t actually afford to pick up his option, re-sign or tag him.

Flacco went for a 4th which could actually be a pretty good parallel for us considering the similarities of the situation. Long time QB loses job to young guy and the old team needs to get rid of his contract so they had very little leverage.

Really hard to gauge what the possible trade market would be especially when you consider the questions about Cam’s health. If it does come down to a trade then hopefully it doesn’t become a Flacco situation where we have to settle for a mid round pick, but Flacco has been mediocre for years and has never been close to Cam’s ability when healthy.

7 minutes ago, Bartin said:

.Flacco went for a 4th which could actually be a pretty good parallel for us considering the similarities of the situation. Long time QB loses job to young guy and the old team needs to get rid of his contract so they had very little leverage.

Really hard to gauge what the possible trade market would be especially when you consider the questions about Cam’s health. If it does come down to a trade then hopefully it doesn’t become a Flacco situation where we have to settle for a mid round pick, but Flacco has been mediocre for years and has never been close to Cam’s ability when healthy.

Don’t know how many years Flacco had left on his deal at the time but Cam is only signed through next season at a rate that looks not at all unreasonable in the current qb market. I’m inclined to think Flacco’s deal was both overpriced and longer, making it much more of a negative in the equation. I don’t think Cam’s deal would represent a major negative in any proposed trade.

15 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Don’t know how many years Flacco had left on his deal at the time but Cam is only signed through next season at a rate that looks not at all unreasonable in the current qb market. I’m inclined to think Flacco’s deal was both overpriced and longer, making it much more of a negative in the equation. I don’t think Cam’s deal would represent a major negative in any proposed trade.

You’re right I think Flacco had 2 or 3 years left on his deal at the time. However with the way trades and dead money work in the NFL it is often a benefit for the team acquiring the player because there won’t be any guaranteed or dead money on the contract for the new team if it doesn’t work out(as long as the salaries aren’t fully guaranteed).

Also, any team giving up anything substantial for Cam would likely want to give him a new contract probably at a discount given the situation rather than risk needing to franchise tag him. Cam’s agent would likely be asking for something similar to protect against an injury.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can Allen do that? Maybe. We don't know yet.

Cam Newton still do that? Again, maybe. We don't really know.

What I do know is that "respect" for past performances doesn't mean jack sh-t. The only thing that matters is how things are right now.

"Respect" is what leads you to do things like offering Jake Delhomme a big extension after the Cardinals playoff game.

We respect what Jake Delhomme gave us thus the ring of honor.

If you choose to not respect what a guy has given and done for your team or the player himself that's on you.

$ culture doesn't breed good relationships or engender a culture of winning just ask David Gettleman. He didn't respect anybody.

You Scot are ungrateful and don't deserve football.

Archived