• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Better analysis than Joe Person's NFL sources

PantherBrew

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Cam was playing pretty well in 2018 but not at an all pro level. Stats can be misleading. He had a 103 passer rating against Pittsburgh last year. Anyone think he had a good game against Pittsburgh. Just looking at stats you might think so.

Yea to say he was playing at an elite level is just redefining the word elite or not understanding what it means to begin with. A QB with only one completion of 30+ air yards is no where near elite. But he was playing well enough for us to win as long as the players made plays once they got the ball in their hands.

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Lots of folks get mentioned early in the season based on a few good games. But he wasn't close to doing what Mahomes was doing after 8 games. Mahomes had 26 TD and 5 Ints through 8 games. Two rushing TDs and 5 fumbles.  Cam had 13 TDs and 4 Ints. 4 rushing TDs and 4 fumbles.

28 TDs versus 17.  Not even close.

He said "conversation" not clear favorite. Nobody did what mahomes did last year and the biggest point was cams number before injury were better than his numbers his mvp season threw that many weeks, what mahomes did is irrelevant to the topic. Whats significant is that cam was having a great year to be in mvp conversation.

58 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

He said "conversation" not clear favorite. Nobody did what mahomes did last year and the biggest point was cams number before injury were better than his numbers his mvp season threw that many weeks, what mahomes did is irrelevant to the topic. Whats significant is that cam was having a great year to be in mvp conversation.

No he wasn't having a great year. He was having some good games but couldn't make all the throws and couldn't throw it deep. That alone keeps him from being in the MVP conversation. The fact some folks talked about it doesn't mean they are right or he should have been in that conversation.

All these inferences depends on Cam “being 100%.”

”You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

The “100%” version of Cam is one where he is able to run and throw at will, including the deep ball, for an entire season. When is the last time that has happened? Yes he was accurate in 2018. No, it didn’t last. Now we have an entirely new and complex issue involving the foot. 

It’s time to be realistic, not sentimental. And for the record, I like Cam.

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I mean, he's not just suggesting having Newton play out next year. He wants the Panthers to extend him.

Extend a guy who, by the time next season rolls around won't have played for a good season and a half,  hasn't been healthy in probably a good two or three years and is coming off a couple of shoulder surgeries.

There are major questions as to whether Newton will be willing to play a "prove it" season, but at this point pretty much nobody takes the idea extending him seriously. That's just way too big a risk.

To be brutally honest, that's probably more wishful thinking than analysis.

So why was it an option for luck?

6 hours ago, WarHeel said:

All these inferences depends on Cam “being 100%.”

”You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

The “100%” version of Cam is one where he is able to run and throw at will, including the deep ball, for an entire season. When is the last time that has happened? Yes he was accurate in 2018. No, it didn’t last. Now we have an entirely new and complex issue involving the foot. 

It’s time to be realistic, not sentimental. And for the record, I like Cam.

What example do we have, of a 100 percent healed cam, that you can go off of?

I mean, I can give you one, and it involves a 15-1 record

5 hours ago, Oldmanrivera said:

What example do we have, of a 100 percent healed cam, that you can go off of?

I mean, I can give you one, and it involves a 15-1 record

Refresh my memory. Was that before or after 2 shoulder operations and a Lisfranc injury?

13 hours ago, panthers55 said:

No he wasn't having a great year. He was having some good games but couldn't make all the throws and couldn't throw it deep. That alone keeps him from being in the MVP conversation. The fact some folks talked about it doesn't mean they are right or he should have been in that conversation.

Lmaooooo...kinda like people are "talking" about he wont be back with the team next year? You know what.....nevermind. 

Opinions are like you know what's, everbody got one.

5 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

The most important question that everyone seems to ignore, when the answer should be very obvious 

Are you implying that a qb who will be 31 before said season starts, who is coming off 2 shoulder surgeries and a lisfranc injury, and who has endured more physical punishment than any player in the history of the league at his normally protected position would be unwilling to risk himself on the last year of a contract without being extended?

20 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

The most important question that everyone seems to ignore, when the answer should be very obvious 

Cam has a contract.  If we keep him on the roster, he's gotta play.

Ok, sure, he could theoretically hold out.  But think about that for a minute.  It's the 2020 season, and you've got a 31 year old QB who hasn't played a full season due to injury since 2017 holding out?  That doesn't sound like leverage to me, that sounds like career suicide.

If the Panthers keep him, we already have him on a one year prove it.  It's up to our front office to decide whether we want to give him a chance here or if we feel like he's truly done.  And frankly, I believe Cam needs to be here.  If the team and doctors who know you well, who have you locked up on a one year deal choose to cut you loose, that sends a pretty frightening message to the rest of the league.

Archived