• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's clear now that Tepper saw Rivera as the Problem.

Snake

3 hours ago, Snake said:

With the retaining of Hurney and his extended power to retain players and search for a new head coach Tepper has made it clear. 

For one Rivera was not good enough for the talent around him. 

Secondly he was never going to be good enough to use the talent Hurney brings him. 

While no matter if you agree with it or not Hurney to save his job has convinced Tepper he is a draft guru and turn problems of the Panthers rest on the back of Riverboat Ron. 

I had said back in September that there seems to be a disconnect from Hurney and Ron. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with Hurney and Foxy towards the end. Seriously, none of the draft picks saw playing time but it doesn't take away from the fact that his personnel decisions have not worked out in terms of recent draft picks and especially free agent signings. Poe showed flashes this year but got hurt, but was absolutely awful last year. Eric Reid has been okay, but a huge liability in coverage but still better than what was on HIS roster prior. Tre' Boston is about the only player signing i'll give Hurney that has turned out better than expected. It also took him two years to make that signing. There was definitely a disconnect between the two and it really showed in the preseason. 

43 minutes ago, ickmule said:

With all of your childish name calling and references to genitalia I’m shocked the mods let you post. Why you take all of this so personal is beyond me.  No one called out your mother.  

So you have no counterpoints to the items listed yet still claim he is a good coach. Not shocked and unsurprising. Once you can make valid counterpoints then you can start claiming Rivera was good 

2 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I still think Hurney remains GM only to “transition” us through the next draft b4 he’s “reassigned” or resigns. No facts - just a feeling.

I don’t understand how some of you find this a convincing argument.

Tepper: ”I know, I’ll let the guy I ultimately intend to demote (or fire) to hire the new coach, negotiate some fresh burdensome contract extensions, and run yet another draft! That’s totally the best move I can make!  Then I’ll get a new GM that DIDN’T participate in the process to hire the new coach to be the new coach’s boss! GENIUS!”

Dave Gettleman and Ron hates each other but delivered good football teams on the field. They were a great “good cop bad cop” setup. Then Richardson fired Gettleman because he was a dick and Ron hated him.

Marty didn’t work well with Ron on the field but Marty and Ron got along as people. 

I still think Marty might be able to work well with another coach but that coach probably needs to be a bad cop. I think it’s better to have the GM be bad cop but whatever works I guess.

2 hours ago, TheRed said:

Ron Rivera was 7-16 in the NFCS since 2016.

But keep blaming everyone else.

During Ron’s tenure, the Saints won 4 division titles followed by the Panthers with 3 then the Falcons with 2 and the Buccaneers never won one. During that stretch he won the 2nd most division titles in the hardest division in football.

The stats and record that you were quoting was when his quarterback was banged up. Give me a break.

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Dave Gettleman and Ron hates each other but delivered good football teams on the field. They were a great “good cop bad cop” setup. Then Richardson fired Gettleman because he was a dick and Ron hated him.

Marty didn’t work well with Ron on the field but Marty and Ron got along as people. 

I still think Marty might be able to work well with another coach but that coach probably needs to be a bad cop. I think it’s better to have the GM be bad cop but whatever works I guess.

It's been reported in Washington that Rivera will have a say in who they hire at GM, and might even have the final word.

They've already agreed to move on from their VP of Player Personnel basically because Rivera doesn't know him.

3 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I still think Hurney remains GM only to “transition” us through the next draft b4 he’s “reassigned” or resigns. No facts - just a feeling.

I don’t have any stats to back this up but it actually does seem like a ton of GM changes occur in period right after the draft, and not as much from the end of the season to before the draft...

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

I don’t have any stats to back this up but it actually does seem like a ton of GM changes occur in period right after the draft, and not as much from the end of the season to before the draft...

I'm less certain when it comes to GM's, but I know that's a very typical time for scouting staffs to get fired.

18 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I don’t understand how some of you find this a convincing argument.

Tepper: ”I know, I’ll let the guy I ultimately intend to demote (or fire) to hire the new coach, negotiate some fresh burdensome contract extensions, and run yet another draft! That’s totally the best move I can make!  Then I’ll get a new GM that DIDN’T participate in the process to hire the new coach to be the new coach’s boss! GENIUS!”

As opposed to: "The guy I want to help run the team is still under contract with his current team, but I figure I'll just let all my best free agents go unsigned until then because that's preferable to allowing my outgoing GM do anymore work."

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm less certain when it comes to GM's, but I know that's a very typical time for scouting staffs to get fired.

Even the college scouts?  That's a lot of info to kick to the curb.  If anything, retain them until after the draft.  Granted the all-star games have yet to be played, but they are approaching fast.  Turning over the scouting department (at least college) needs to happen soon assuming it's settled a change will definitely occur.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Even the college scouts?  That's a lot of info to kick to the curb.  If anything, retain them until after the draft.  Granted the all-star games have yet to be played, but they are approaching fast.  Turning over the scouting department (at least college) needs to happen soon assuming it's settled a change will definitely occur.

He was talking about it being after the draft.

Archived