• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Focusing on 4 Candidates per report

ncfan

Here are some excerpts...

Bieniemy

Veteran personnel executive: “Obviously, they’ve been trained in the Andy Reid tree. There is a success rate there. Is he gonna try to call plays? I think there is a huge learning curve with first-time head coaches with a limited experience calling plays as the head coach. The big thing is if you’re going to do that, it works best if you can get a super-experienced, preferably a former head coach as a defensive coordinator who you don’t have to worry about when the ball switches over to defense. You trust that guy with situation football.”

Rhule

Veteran personnel executive: “I like Matt Rhule. He’s an NFL guy. He’s not gonna be shocked by the process of an NFL year. He’s more culture. But he’s a pro-style guy, he’s an O-line guy. He’s done a helluva job at Baylor and Temple and everywhere he’s been. I think he can come in, command the room. The staff thing is gonna be interesting because it seems that’s something that he’s not unwilling to bend on. I just don’t know what kind of staff he hires. Is it a college-laden staff? Is it guys he knew from the Giants days? I just don’t know that. If you’re getting Matt Rhule and the Baylor staff, I would have a little bit of concern there. Not that to say it can’t work, but I would just have to dig harder on who the guys were. I do think there’s validity to having some younger, college-type guys on your staff from a player development standpoint. Because I do think these older guys that get recycled and just spit out, there’s a little bit of staleness to it.”

McDaniels

Veteran personnel executive: “The thing McDaniels does better than anybody that he doesn’t get enough credit for — yes, he has Tom Brady — but he’s willing and able and understands that he needs to play to the strengths of what they have on offense. That’s the difference between the New England style and basically every other style. The Andy Reid tree is gonna come in and, by and large, they’re gonna run their system. Whether it’s Matt Nagy, Eric Bieniemy, (Doug) Pederson, Frank Reich — Frank’s a little different because he’s got a little bit more influence from other people and other systems.

“But by and large it’s a system and the pieces fit in the system, whereas McDaniels is gonna come in and say: ‘OK, what do we have? OK, we have Christian McCaffrey. Well, he can be James White. He can be a little bit of (Julian) Edelman and we’ll fit the pieces around this and then we’ll fit the pieces around these receivers.’ And he’s gonna make it work. I think that’s the one advantage McDaniels has that I’ve always appreciated.”

McCarthy

General manager: “Similar to Ron, in a lot of ways, of a guy who has had success and understands the league. Has worked with very good quarterbacks and has won a Super Bowl, obviously. The guy is very steady. He’s kind of a level-headed approach, not going to get too high or too low. His offense has had a lot of success in the league. A lot of people will question, ‘OK, how much was that because you had such good quarterback play, versus your scheme?’ … You gotta give some credit to Mike McCarthy. Again, probably the most experienced, seasoned guy, if that’s what you are looking for. Are you wanting a total fresh approach? Or are you wanting a guy who brings experience? I know (in Carolina), they’re big into analytics and all of that. I don’t know where that would lie with a guy like Mike.

Archived