• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which HC candidate do you trust more to adapt, adjust, and evolve more?

rayzor

4 hours ago, Varking said:

I was just correcting some false statement. Nothing personal.

In 2009, the Broncos had a top 10 defense. In 2010, they were ranked dead last. This is with some pretty good players.

You can check the rankings. Four games didn't make all the difference.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T&yr=2010&lg=NFL

Ill admit to you that I absolutely did not bother reading all of the replies here, i just want to say ive been guilty of complicating things in my past and I think we can do this especially in problem solving. 

There are obvious needs of focusing on the trenches and protection and run stopping. As far as schemes, coaching etc; to simplify what I feelis effective adjustments obviously come in a time of adversity. So youre losing. Whatdo you need? Confidence that you can overcome. How do you achieve this? Well without prior success id say extreme enthusiasm and faith.  I cant speak for rivera behind closed doors, but to me he appeared bland and lack of energy and enthusiasm and passion. 

On 1/3/2020 at 3:27 AM, rayzor said:

“It was a pretty amazing thing,” tight end Dwayne Allen told King. “Hats off to the Rams. They really knew us. They played us great. But football’s about in-game adjustments. Josh told us on the sideline, ‘We did not practice this at all coming into this game, and I realize that, but this is going off in my head, and it’s something I think we need to do.'”

As I've stated before, this was Rivera's downfall.  He and his staff were so sure of their weekly game planning that they would stubbornly stick to it even when is was clear it wasn't working.

The  biggest problem under Rivera was to adjust during the game . Other teams make adjustments at half to stop what we are doing .  Given an extra week during a bye we always came out flat and lost more than winning .  We need a coach who sees a problem and is able to make the right the right call .

On 1/3/2020 at 2:20 AM, 1of10Charnatives said:

As much as my disdain for McDaniel is not exactly a secret, I have to admit that based on what we know of the candidates we’re considering, he seems most likely to bring this to the table. Bellicheck is known for being the master of formlessness as a football coach, committed to no particular style or system except winning, and very capable of producing highly customized gameplans taylored to each opponent.

This is what I want in a coach, and it's apparently pretty rare. In an ever-changing league, you've got to be ever-changing, flowing with circumstance. And you've got to instill that malleability into your staff and players. Too many coaches believe in a "system" and lose the forest for the trees imo.

1 minute ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

This is what I want in a coach, and it's apparently pretty rare. In an ever-changing league, you've got to be ever-changing, flowing with circumstance. And you've got to instill that malleability into your staff and players. Too many coaches believe in a "system" and lose the forest for the trees imo.

If McDaniel can demonstrate he has left the cheating behind him in Boston and he is capable of earning players respect, my opinion of him could change substantially if he proves to be as advertised in this area. I am skeptical those things would happen, but I am with you that this is highly highly desirable quality in a HC.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

“It was a pretty amazing thing,” tight end Dwayne Allen told King. “Hats off to the Rams. They really knew us. They played us great. But football’s about in-game adjustments. Josh told us on the sideline, ‘We did not practice this at all coming into this game, and I realize that, but this is going off in my head, and it’s something I think we need to do.'”

As I've stated before, this was Rivera's downfall.  He and his staff were so sure of their weekly game planning that they would stubbornly stick to it even when is was clear it wasn't working.

That was fox's problem too.

Giving up in a game plan is admitting defeat. Just dig your heels in the sand and don't let anyone make you deviate from your plan. 

I mean it could be an inability to make adjustments as in they just couldn't get that poo figured out, but I think it was more just stubbornness.

I still remember fox talking about that playoff game against the cards and he said he didn't see any reason to come up with a different game plan than they had the first time they played that season because they won. It worked the first time, why wouldn't it work the next?

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

In 2009, the Broncos had a top 10 defense. In 2010, they were ranked dead last. This is with some pretty good players.

You can check the rankings. Four games didn't make all the difference.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T&yr=2010&lg=NFL

All the difference? No. Some difference? Absolutely. They went from bad to atrocious after he got fired. And you can't ignore how they improved from the year before he got there to the next year.

After watching Ron for nine years I forgot that coaches were supposed to make adjustments. 

Right now if I had to pick one without knowing all of them I would go McD. He seems to be able to adjust on the fly, seems pretty smart. Only thing I don’t like about him is his history.

Archived