• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule vs Beiniemy

AU-panther

It easy to get caught up in the moment with coaches.  I saw someone reference Rhule as a flash in the pan, which honestly would make Bieniemy even more of a flash in the pan.  So I decided to go back and lock more of their entire caching history.  No idea if this will format correctly.  Also I'll try to do the same of our other coaches we are interested in later.

Eric Bieniemy    
2001-2005 College Running Back Coach  
2006-2010 NFL Running Back Coach  
2011 College Offensive Coordinator 109th in points per game
2012 College Offensive Coordinator 120th in points per game
2013-2017 NFL Running Back Coach  
2018 NFL Offensive Coordinator 1st in points per game
2019 NFL Offensive Coordinator 5th in points per game

Matt Rhule    
1998-2002 College Positional Coach  
2003-2005 College Assistant Head Coach  
2006 NFL Defensive Line Coach  
2007 QB Coach  
2008 College Offensive Coordinator 82nd in points per game
2009 College Offensive Coordinator 41st in points per game
2010 College Offensive Coordinator 79th in points per game
2011 College Offensive Coordinator 40th in points per game
2012 NFL assistant coach worked with offensive line
2013 College Head Coach 2-10 record (4-7 record year before)
2014 College Head Coach 6-6 record
2015 College Head Coach 10-4 record
2016 College Head Coach 10-3 record
2017 College Head Coach 1-11 record (7-6 record year before)
2018 College Head Coach 7-6 record
2019 College Head Coach 11-3 record

So, I tried to give win loss records for HC years, points per game for coordinator years.  Positional coach years I lumped together.      

Pieced together the information from Wiki and 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/  
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/  
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

If something is wrong feel free to let me know.    

Matt Rhule has won at Baylor and Temple. He went to Baylor when they were a train wreck and turned them around. Could easily go to Carolina and change the culture. Can’t really say if he’d be a successful HC because he’s never done it.

Eric B has played in the NFL, would get respect from players like Ron did. He has worked under Reid who has a pretty good looking coaching tree. From what I understand Eric doesn’t call the offensive plays. Once again you can’t say he’s going to be successful because he’s never done it.

At this point I don’t know who I like. 

7 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Matt Rhule has won at Baylor and Temple. He went to Baylor when they were a train wreck and turned them around. Could easily go to Carolina and change the culture. Can’t really say if he’d be a successful HC because he’s never done it.

Eric B has played in the NFL, would get respect from players like Ron did. He has worked under Reid who has a pretty good looking coaching tree. From what I understand Eric doesn’t call the offensive plays. Once again you can’t say he’s going to be successful because he’s never done it.

At this point I don’t know who I like. 

He took over Baylor right after Art Briles left and the thing was a dumpster fire.  He stepped into there 2 years ago, when he stepped in at the time Baylors class only had 1 commit

Postitions he's been a position coach for (DL, LB, OL, TE, QB).

Been a OC and ST teams coach as well

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

It easy to get caught up in the moment with coaches.  I saw someone reference Rhule as a flash in the pan, which honestly would make Bieniemy even more of a flash in the pan.  So I decided to go back and lock more of their entire caching history.  No idea if this will format correctly.  Also I'll try to do the same of our other coaches we are interested in later.

Eric Bieniemy    
2001-2005 College Running Back Coach  
2006-2010 NFL Running Back Coach  
2011 College Offensive Coordinator 109th in points per game
2012 College Offensive Coordinator 120th in points per game
2013-2017 NFL Running Back Coach  
2018 NFL Offensive Coordinator 1st in points per game
2019 NFL Offensive Coordinator 5th in points per game

Matt Rhule    
1998-2002 College Positional Coach  
2003-2005 College Assistant Head Coach  
2006 NFL Defensive Line Coach  
2007 QB Coach  
2008 College Offensive Coordinator 82nd in points per game
2009 College Offensive Coordinator 41st in points per game
2010 College Offensive Coordinator 79th in points per game
2011 College Offensive Coordinator 40th in points per game
2012 NFL assistant coach worked with offensive line
2013 College Head Coach 2-10 record (4-7 record year before)
2014 College Head Coach 6-6 record
2015 College Head Coach 10-4 record
2016 College Head Coach 10-3 record
2017 College Head Coach 1-11 record (7-6 record year before)
2018 College Head Coach 7-6 record
2019 College Head Coach 11-3 record

So, I tried to give win loss records for HC years, points per game for coordinator years.  Positional coach years I lumped together.      

Pieced together the information from Wiki and 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/  
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/  
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

If something is wrong feel free to let me know.    

I am missing the part how winning at a college program in a conference that doesn't play defense= qualified? I'm taking the NFL experience 10/10 times.

6 hours ago, Pantherzack179812 said:

I am missing the part how winning at a college program in a conference that doesn't play defense= qualified? I'm taking the NFL experience 10/10 times.

I'm not convinced that being a NFL running back coach means you are more qualified than a college head coach.  Bieniemy is only on his second year as a pro coordinator, and has never been a head coach at any level.

6 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Rhule seems like an odd hire going by what Tepper said earlier. Tepper wanted a new school offensive guru type, Rhule is an old school run the ball type coach.

Based on what?  Baylors points per game ranked 32, 68.102 the past three years.  Passing yards per game were ranked 44, 18. 22.  Admittedly I haven't watched Baylor much but that would have me believe a large portion of their offense came from the passing game.

Are we convinced Bieniemy will throw more? Any Andy Reid team is going to be creative offensively.  How much is him, how much is Reid? How run heavy was he when he was the offensive coordinator at Colorado?  Either way it was close to last in the nation in points ppg.

I'm not saying Rhule is going to be a good coach or that Beiniemy is going to be a bad coach.  It just amazes me how a lot of the opinions around here aren't really based on any facts.

Predicting who is going be a great coach is impossible or every team would have one.  

12 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not convinced that being a NFL running back coach means you are more qualified than a college head coach.  Bieniemy is only on his second year as a pro coordinator, and has never been a head coach at any level.

Based on what?  Baylors points per game ranked 32, 68.102 the past three years.  Passing yards per game were ranked 44, 18. 22.  Admittedly I haven't watched Baylor much but that would have me believe a large portion of their offense came from the passing game.

Are we convinced Bieniemy will throw more? Any Andy Reid team is going to be creative offensively.  How much is him, how much is Reid? How run heavy was he when he was the offensive coordinator at Colorado?  Either way it was close to last in the nation in points ppg.

I'm not saying Rhule is going to be a good coach or that Beiniemy is going to be a bad coach.  It just amazes me how a lot of the opinions around here aren't really based on any facts.

Predicting who is going be a great coach is impossible or every team would have one.  

Based on his philosophy. Your using Baylor offense when they were in complete turmoil, go compare offensive numbers with those Art Briles teams. Last year alone they had 24 passing TD to 35 rushing TD. Rhule has always ran a grind it out type but since they play in the big 12 he will always put up a ton of point in yards, similar to K-State

Of the 4 candidates I am not sure of any of them. 
McDaniel - looks good with Brady but without is a different story.

Rhule - horrible defenses in big 12.  So how really effective is his offense   

McCarthy - had Farve and Rodgers But still couldn’t make it work but 1 year 

Beiniemy -  doesn’t call plays and has had Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill

So not real sure but if I had to choose I guess I would go with Beiniemy just based on Reid and how he has prepared his assistant coaches to go forward in the past

Archived