• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wasnt the last untappd beer festival a disaster?

cookinwithgas

12 minutes ago, billionairemonk said:

this.  going to a craft beer festival is 2014.   it's just hours of standing in line.  there are plenty of breweries now.  

Right. There is little reason to go stand in line at these things anymore when there are 15 breweries within a 3 mile range.

36 minutes ago, billionairemonk said:

this.  going to a craft beer festival is 2014.   it's just hours of standing in line.  there are plenty of breweries now.  

My wife used to work for a distributor and she was in charge of half of the beer tents at the local brewfest.  I would get to tag along and in exchange for taking out trash and moving a few cases as needed, I was able to slide into the back of any tent (of hers) I wanted and get a quick pour.  I remember her boss and I went to the other half of the venue to try some other vendor's beers and had to wait in line.  The entire time I'm standing there chit chatting with him thinking "OMG people stand in line for hours like this over and over again for a few ounces of beer?"  No thank Jeff.  I had a delicious IPA called "Ghost in the Machine" from Parish Brewing, and I had no intention of standing in line again for another sip. LOL

What was really cool was that any of the leftover beers that had already been unpacked were thrown into coolers and the staff got to take them home.  We would bring home 2-3 coolers full of beer each year.

25 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Right. There is little reason to go stand in line at these things anymore when there are 15 breweries within a 3 mile range.

I used to do the write-ups for new breweries in the Triad for one of the free weeklies. And while I loved the job, it was: how do you retell the story of another 40-year old guy with a bit of extra weight on him, a goatee and a love of obscure hoppy farmhouse brews?

Hey I'm all for craftsmanship and artisan products, but it hit the saturation point pretty early on in the process. Working on a statewide guide just did me in for writing about it. It was like covering all the jam bands that popped up from 1990-1998 -- after a while you listen to people explaining the tiniest nuances of an overplayed product that you realize you aren't dealing with enthusiasts but actual dyed-in-the-wool fetishists.

(It probably didn't help that I'm allergic to hops and unable to sample the wares -- but a paying gig is a paying gig.)

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

Didn’t go, how did it bomb?

Basically what CatMan and BudFox said, the poor planning/execution led to a complete devaluation of the VIP ticket value. For the people that either came late or didn't leave after the delay, it was excellent. 

I hope they learned their lesson but I am admittedly skeptical. I will wait to see some more details before deciding. I'd rather travel put of state to much better and established festivals/events(GABF, Great Taste, TBBW, etc) than gamble on that one at the moment. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Basically what CatMan and BudFox said, the poor planning/execution led to a complete devaluation of the VIP ticket value. For the people that either came late or didn't leave after the delay, it was excellent. 

I hope they learned their lesson but I am admittedly skeptical. I will wait to see some more details before deciding. I'd rather travel put of state to much better and established festivals/events(GABF, Great Taste, TBBW, etc) than gamble on that one at the moment. 

Gotcha.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

I think we've hit peak craft beer. 

I think we likely hit that a couple of years ago. Beer sales are in decline overall and wine/spirits are trending up.

Ultimately, I think the nationwide distro model will continue to retract(as it already has) and the local markets will stabilize(better breweries, more business savvy breweries will survive). 

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think we likely hit that a couple of years ago. Beer sales are in decline overall and wine/spirits are trending up.

Ultimately, I think the nationwide distro model will continue to retract(as it already has) and the local markets will stabilize(better breweries, more business savvy breweries will survive). 

There is good craft beer. But there are just toooooo many. 

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Peak craft beer = 500 guys who think they are brewmasters because they used their home brewing kit from Amazon to make a decent batch of the paint by numbers version of beer, an IPA.

Bingo. Too many craft beers taste the same and just taste like poo, honestly these days. 

If you ever have a chance to have a Maine Lunch though. Probably the best beer I’ve had. 

Archived