• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

(NFL News) Dak Prescott Turns Down $33 Million Annually

Mr Mojo Risin

24 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Watch QB's will be at $40 million a year by 2021.

I love Cam, but this makes me want to trade him and tank for Trevor even more. Even with the 5th year and 1 franchise tag, that’s $100M for 6 years. Including 2020, that’s $160M in cap savings for use during those 6 years. We could get a half dozen 3-7 round comp picks in 2021, some nice picks in 2020 for Cam. If someone other than Marty is helping with round 2+, that’s a heck of a lot of talent we could add and have a ton of cap room as well to make a FA splash in 2022+. If you think about the cap charges that’s like saying you could add both Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack to your team for Trevor’s year 2-6 years instead of paying a franchise QB contract.

41 minutes ago, Snake said:

The New NFL is about Drafting a QB that can win a SB and then dumping him in 5 years. You can't win and pay those prices. Not even for the best QBs. 

I remember Pat Kirwan said about 5 years ago that we were coming to a point where QB salaries were going to change how teams approach the position.  He said he could see a future where you draft a QB in the 1st round every time your QB is about due for a contract.  The new kid serves 2 purposes.  He can drive down the leverage and potential price of the vet, and he can be there to take over if the 2 sides can’t agree.  It would be an investment.

I am not saying that Dak is worth 33 million.  I think it will cripple the franchise - any franchise.  It's just too much.  However, some people seem to act like "Oh, it's just Dak Prescott, just average".  Well, no, he's not.

image.thumb.png.71df23aa47f306fa77e80417af3e164a.png

Yes, he has good talent.  Fine.

But the guy passed for almost 5k yards last year.  3:1 TD to Int.  Over 300 yards / game.  And look at his yards per attempt!  He wasn't dumping the ball off, he was pushing it down the field.

Once a guy shows that he's capable of those sorts of things, he's no longer an average QB.  He's good.  Maybe not "great", but well above average.

I just never really understood the idea of having to reset the market everytime the top guy from his class is due an extension. If he played better than the guy who is currently #1 in salary at their position then sure an arguement can be made, but every single year there's a new highest paid player at any given position regardless if hes better than the #1 salaried player at their position or not. How in the fug does that make sense? And why do the owners continuously cave to these demands?

Dak Prescott is NOT a $30 million a year quarterback. I dont care that he threw for almost 5k yards this year. He really isnt that great I'd put him around the 7th-11th best range. About 20 MAYBE 25 a year at the most. 33 mil/year is just criminal robbery

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I don’t think you know how the cap or the nfl works. 

You gonna mansplain it to me, bro?

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure of his point.

Daks value, from his point of view, is that he's worth that much.  And if hes the face of the most valuable franchise in the world, he prob has a point.  Sure it hurts his teams ability to build around him but that really shouldnt be his concern.  Players should get as much as they can, when they can.

Besides, if it fugs the Cowboys then I'm all for it.  

20 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

You gonna mansplain it to me, bro?

Daks value, from his point of view, is that he's worth that much.  And if hes the face of the most valuable franchise in the world, he prob has a point.  Sure it hurts his teams ability to build around him but that really shouldnt be his concern.  Players should get as much as they can, when they can.

Besides, if it fugs the Cowboys then I'm all for it.  

That's still not how it works, man. He's a football player, not an actor. There's limited amount of money. Still, Dak's an idiot. From your point of view, he could get more, but $33 mil a year is nothing to sneeze at. I guess what we're trying to say is you don't give a guy money because of the money he's going to bring in selling jerseys for the "most known franchise."

I do, however, agree with your last sentence.

12 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

33 mil seems more than fair for Dak but I guess no way to tell without seeing the contract. I think its fair for him to turn that down if it wasn't majority guaranteed, but if that was mostly guaranteed money... wow

Yeah, ultimately the dollars per year is a fairly irrelevant factor except for news reports and agents recruiting clients. All that really matters is the guaranteed money.

Archived