• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

(NFL News) Dak Prescott Turns Down $33 Million Annually

Mr Mojo Risin

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I love Cam, but this makes me want to trade him and tank for Trevor even more. Even with the 5th year and 1 franchise tag, that’s $100M for 6 years. Including 2020, that’s $160M in cap savings for use during those 6 years. We could get a half dozen 3-7 round comp picks in 2021, some nice picks in 2020 for Cam. If someone other than Marty is helping with round 2+, that’s a heck of a lot of talent we could add and have a ton of cap room as well to make a FA splash in 2022+. If you think about the cap charges that’s like saying you could add both Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack to your team for Trevor’s year 2-6 years instead of paying a franchise QB contract.

Been saying this for a while but no one seems to have foresight that things like this will absolutely affect a future deal with Cam. Everyone seems to think he’s just going to be comfortable with average QB money taking a local discount. Likely isn’t the case...

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I love Cam, but this makes me want to trade him and tank for Trevor even more. Even with the 5th year and 1 franchise tag, that’s $100M for 6 years. Including 2020, that’s $160M in cap savings for use during those 6 years. We could get a half dozen 3-7 round comp picks in 2021, some nice picks in 2020 for Cam. If someone other than Marty is helping with round 2+, that’s a heck of a lot of talent we could add and have a ton of cap room as well to make a FA splash in 2022+. If you think about the cap charges that’s like saying you could add both Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack to your team for Trevor’s year 2-6 years instead of paying a franchise QB contract.

That's if those draft picks and fa pan out. I remember seeing teams with 10 plus draft picks(many in the 1-3 rounds) like browns and still are terrible. I remember Bucs making big FA splashes and still not making playoffs.

A lot of this stuff sounds good in theory and on paper until its in action on the field.

We'll see but its all a gamble in the end, no matter which way you go.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

This notion that you can just keep drafting franchise quarterbacks so you don't have to sign them to a huge contract and not skip a beat has been mentioned before. It's a real nice dream scenario I'll give you that. But that's all it really is. This isn't Back to the Future where we have a magic book that tells us who to take in the draft so we'll always strike gold. When we find our next quarterback, he will be getting paid nicely for his services sooner rather than later if he is good at what he does. That's not changing anytime soon so you guys need to accept that.

3 hours ago, Arroz con Panther said:

That's still not how it works, man. He's a football player, not an actor. There's limited amount of money. Still, Dak's an idiot. From your point of view, he could get more, but $33 mil a year is nothing to sneeze at. I guess what we're trying to say is you don't give a guy money because of the money he's going to bring in selling jerseys for the "most known franchise."

I do, however, agree with your last sentence.

Sure, as an owner or GM I would try to pay him as little as possible.... but as a players agent, and I tend to side with players, I’d def make the argument that the face of the most valuable franchise in the world needs to get paaaaaid.  How marketable he is will definitely be a factor in negotiations . 

2 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Sure, as an owner or GM I would try to pay him as little as possible.... but as a players agent, and I tend to side with players, I’d def make the argument that the face of the most valuable franchise in the world needs to get paaaaaid.  How marketable he is will definitely be a factor in negotiations . 

To sell him with that strategy, you'd need an owner that cared more about making money than winning.

Yeah, it could work :thinking:

It would be cool to see a franchise try to flip a QB every 5 years after their rookie deal ends if they are successful (obviously cut them earlier if they aren't or won't be). Either trade or let them walk, but draft their replacement each time and just devote all money to the rest of the team. I wonder how well they'd do.

Archived