• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If I had this poo, I was probably a super spreader. I traveled a poo ton in Q1 and I had COVID-like symptoms during much of the travel. All over the Seattle area in mid-January (where I think I picked it up), Spokane, all over Arizona (Phoenix area, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott), all over Colorado, North Carolina, Florida, Dallas area, Costa Rica. I didn't suspect COVID until well after I was fully recovered. While I had symptoms, the protocols were that you weren't suspected of having COVID unless you had traveled to an area with confirmed outbreak. At the time, when I had traveled to Seattle that was prior to their confirmed outbreak.

Every day that goes by the more we all think our boss had it back in late January/early February, and he was probably a bit of a spreader as well.  He meets with a lot of people on a daily basis around town, but in January he went to a conference with hundreds of people at a 4 day retreat...and he also made a one week trip up to New York.  In early February he got really, really sick and ended up checking in to the hospital with pneumonia.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If I had this poo, I was probably a super spreader. I traveled a poo ton in Q1 and I had COVID-like symptoms during much of the travel. All over the Seattle area in mid-January (where I think I picked it up), Spokane, all over Arizona (Phoenix area, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott), all over Colorado, North Carolina, Florida, Dallas area, Costa Rica. I didn't suspect COVID until well after I was fully recovered. While I had symptoms, the protocols were that you weren't suspected of having COVID unless you had traveled to an area with confirmed outbreak. At the time, when I had traveled to Seattle that was prior to their confirmed outbreak.

I suspect this has been around wayyyy longer then actually known. In France they tested someone who had passed from pneumonia in December and came back positive for covid19. Thats more than a full month before they initially suspected it started. 

my city had the second or third known case in America February 5th. We have a bunch of Chinese students who came back from Chinese New Year. Those people for sure infected people on their flights/in the airports in Chicago and other places. My SO had the same symptoms; fever, nasty cough that lasted a month end of February. Like a really scary cough. I never had symptoms. Can’t know for sure if it was covid but it seems like it looking back.

Now the biggest problem is that it is starting to look like immunity is short lived. We really are gonna have to have a vaccine.

Edited by TheRumGone

Not understanding how having the virus does not give immunity, but a vaccine will.

Have read all sorts of articles about "maybes" and "ifs" but nothing definitive.  Please link articles you guys are reading as I cannot find

I was under the impression that a flu shot was specifically modified to treat a certain strain and next years flu shot was modified for a different strain.  Covid 19 is its own strain, so why take it again?  I suppose in 3-4 years, it will have mutated somewhat and be called something else?

I have no idea, seems like a moving target

39 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I suspect this has been around wayyyy longer then actually known. In France they tested someone who had passed from pneumonia in December and came back positive for covid19. Thats more than a full month before they initially suspected it started. 

my city had the second or third known case in America February 5th. We have a bunch of Chinese students who came back from Chinese New Year. Those people for sure infected people on their flights/in the airports in Chicago and other places. My SO had the same symptoms; fever, nasty cough that lasted a month end of February. Like a really scary cough. I never had symptoms. Can’t know for sure if it was covid but it seems like it looking back.

Now the biggest problem is that it is starting to look like immunity is short lived. We really are gonna have to have a vaccine.

Half of our office was hacking up a lung in late January/early February.  Most of us (other than the big boss) had no other symptoms.  I even bought a big bag of cough drops and put them in a big bowl at the reception desk, so everyone would have access to them.

5 minutes ago, stirs said:

I was under the impression that a flu shot was specifically modified to treat a certain strain and next years flu shot was modified for a different strain.  Covid 19 is its own strain, so why take it again?  I suppose in 3-4 years, it will have mutated somewhat and be called something else?

I have no idea, seems like a moving target

Yeah we don’t know. And some scientists are saying that the antibody tests can be inaccurate. I read there’s two or three different strains of this and they can pinpoint where the virus came from in different hot spots. Like NYC virus came from Europe not China. But this virus doesn’t mutate like the flu. 

From everything I’ve read they’re speculating immunity will be seasonal. No one is gonna know for certain until time passes.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/20/everything-we-know-about-coronavirus-immunity-and-antibodies-and-plenty-we-still-dont/

here’s a good article. They are just educated guesses though.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Yeah we don’t know. And some scientists are saying that the antibody tests can be inaccurate. I read there’s two or three different strains of this and they can pinpoint where the virus came from in different hot spots. Like NYC virus came from Europe not China. But this virus doesn’t mutate like the flu. 

From everything I’ve read they’re speculating immunity will be seasonal. No one is gonna know for certain until time passes.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/20/everything-we-know-about-coronavirus-immunity-and-antibodies-and-plenty-we-still-dont/

here’s a good article. They are just educated guesses though.

It came from China to Europe.

2 hours ago, stirs said:

Not understanding how having the virus does not give immunity, but a vaccine will.

Have read all sorts of articles about "maybes" and "ifs" but nothing definitive.  Please link articles you guys are reading as I cannot find

Vaccines also have adjuvants in them, basically additives that typically enhance the immune response relative to invasion of the foreign body alone and/or accounting for the modified form that the vaccine foreign body takes. I don't know enough about the potential COVID vaccines though to know what the intended mechanism and effect would be.