• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Checking out Herbert

ncfan

18 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I still feel like we have a HOF Qb on the roster and we just signed his back up to a 1 year extension. The defense and oline are what need to be rebuilt. We traded for a LT that helps to push the need for a olineman to later rounds/FA.  As I've been saying all along when it comes to Qbs that the grass isnt always greener on the other side.

I couldnt care less how well he can throw the football. How much does he love this game? Does he love it more than Cam? Will he commit his life to this game like Cam has? Will he be willing to work his ass off even when things aren't going well? How will he handle success? Adversity? How much does this guy hate losing? Cam has answered all of these questions in spades. His love for the game, his team, city, the fans, it is UNMATCHED and we WILL NOT find a better leader for this team as it ushers in a new era than Cam Newton. 

You aren't getting through to these old timers.

In their minds Cam is already gone, and they're ready for the next chapter. They've been ready since we drafted him.

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Your second paragraph makes no sense. I absolutely care about how well he can throw and how healthy he is. I don’t care about Cam’s love for the game. It hasn’t kept him healthy the last four years. It doesn’t make him able to pass a physical right now. That’s a problem.

How do you know he cant pass a physical? Every quarterback that's been drafted in the first round the last 20 years has had good physical traits, athletic ability, intelligent, can throw the ball but that does not guarantee to make them a successful quarterback. What makes them successful is how well they handle everything else which is where you see a TON of these guys fail. What Qb drafted in the top 10 didn't have a good arm or wasn't a good college Qb? That's not the reason why they bust. They either dont put the required work in, dont watch enough film, dont love the game enough etc. There are a TON of reasons why Qb prospects bust and usually it isnt because they lack talent. They lack the work ethic only the Good/Greats have, that Cam Newton has.

I will admit to being intrigued. He has good size, an elite arm, and is mobile. Having said that, I have never even seen him play.

Burrow will not be available.

Tua scares me. His injury history and relatively small stature are not a good combination. Furthermore, as crazy as it sounds, being left- handed is a bit of a problem also.

Love also has an elite arm and while his poor 2019 play is somewhat understandable given the change in coaching staffs and surrounding talent, it is still a red flag.

Eason is also intriguing. He has arm talent, but, like Herbert, I have never seen him play.

I am not a fan of Hurts. While a very good athlete his passing ability seemed limited the times I saw him play at Alabama. Also, against a quality opponent in the playoffs, his play for Oklahoma was not great in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

How do you know he cant pass a physical? Every quarterback that's been drafted in the first round the last 20 years has had good physical traits, athletic ability, intelligent, can throw the ball but that does not guarantee to make them a successful quarterback. What makes them successful is how well they handle everything else which is where you see a TON of these guys fail. What Qb drafted in the top 10 didn't have a good arm or wasn't a good college Qb? That's not the reason why they bust. They either dont put the required work in, dont watch enough film, dont love the game enough etc. There are a TON of reasons why Qb prospects bust and usually it isnt because they talent.

They said he was going to pass a physical in March. There has been zero news that he has. There has also been “if healthy” caveats thrown into every discussion about Cam from the Panthers. You’re going to have to do better than trying to say he’s healthy because we don’t know that he couldn’t pass his physical. He hasn’t, simple as that. When Rhule said September as an aside in his speech a few weeks ago, it sure made it seem like all of these recent off-seasons where Can couldn’t practice much and we had no idea if he’d start the season healthy or not.

I’m not sure where you are going with the talent. No one questions Cam’s heart, well outside of non Panther fans who see only highlights. We are questioning his health, which you are dismissing just because he has heart. Rudy has heart as well, but he played one play because at the end of the day if you can’t physically play your heart isn’t going to overcome that. If I’m deciding between 2019 Cam in a body with no shoulder issues and a good foot and Herbert, I’ll pick Cam but that’s not the case here.

2 hours ago, RASTAN66 said:

Tons of video of a perfectly healthy Cam doing all sorts of work available on his instagram site:  https://www.instagram.com/cameron1newton/?hl=en

He's ready to roll!

last i heard they didn't think he could pass one until june, has something changed?  first it was march - then june - then crickets.    and to edit - i really don't think it matters right now anyway.  i seriously doubt training camp will even happen, much less the season looking at virus projections

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

They said he was going to pass a physical in March. There has been zero news that he has. There has also been “if healthy” caveats thrown into every discussion about Cam from the Panthers. You’re going to have to do better than trying to say he’s healthy because we don’t know that he couldn’t pass his physical. He hasn’t, simple as that. When Rhule said September as an aside in his speech a few weeks ago, it sure made it seem like all of these recent off-seasons where Can couldn’t practice much and we had no idea if he’d start the season healthy or not.

I’m not sure where you are going with the talent. No one questions Cam’s heart, well outside of non Panther fans who see only highlights. We are questioning his health, which you are dismissing just because he has heart. Rudy has heart as well, but he played one play because at the end of the day if you can’t physically play your heart isn’t going to overcome that. If I’m deciding between 2019 Cam in a body with no shoulder issues and a good foot and Herbert, I’ll pick Cam but that’s not the case here.

Lol. Seriously read your first paragraph. You are trying SO hard. It's barely two weeks into March just because he hasn't taken an "Official" physical for the team does not mean he can't pass one. You act is if Cam was someone who was hurt all of the time. The injuries hes had he can 100% come back from. You're acting as if Cam was Thomas Davis and tore his Acl 3 years in a row. Just because you have an injury doesn't mean you're broken. Especially when talking about Cam Newton. 

I'd much rather bet on a Cam Newton who is focused and driven to be the GOAT AND a blue chip defender rather than some young unknown commodity in Herbert. You just dont know what you're going to get mentally with these guys. It is a HUGE gamble.

3 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I couldnt care less how well he can throw the football. How much does he love this game? Does he love it more than Cam? Will he commit his life to this game like Cam has? Will he be willing to work his ass off even when things aren't going well? How will he handle success? Adversity? How much does this guy hate losing? Cam has answered all of these questions in spades. His love for the game, his team, city, the fans, it is UNMATCHED and we WILL NOT find a better leader for this team as it ushers in a new era than Cam Newton. 

I like Herbert as a prospect. I really do. However, there are a lot of reasons to be afraid of what will happen once he finally leaves Eugene Oregon. It could be a more difficult transition than you think.

And as much as the media questions Cam's love for the game (they don't know jack), he spends more of his free time involved with football than almost any player in the NFL. This man eats, sleeps and breathes football. He isn't built the way he is by accident either. I think he just needs a REAL offensive/QB mind to mold him. That, and to get healthy. Norv had Cam on the right track, but the FO couldn't afford to let him sit and heal. I think Cam will be ready to set the league on fire beginning in 2020 - assuming COVID 19 has run its course by then.

Tua on the other hand... if that dude is somehow available, the FO will HAVE to strongly consider pulling the trigger. 

I don't get the criticism for Hurney here. The staff has probably done a thorough evaluation of Herbert over the past 3 years, prepared a complete draft profile, met with him at the Senior Bowl and combine, and when they have their team meetings back in Charlotte, he was probably one of a handful of guys that they zeroed in on.

These guys are doing their job. Not playing hocus pocus to trick everybody on some "HaHa got you moments". A GM on a podcast I listened too laughed at how folks think everything is a smokescreen saying "I wish we were that smart". The true smokescreens take place in mid-April.

Right now, the time is being spent on prospects that they want to spend time with and perform additional evaluations. 

Not saying they take Herbert. Hurney also met with Brown and some guys from Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. Herbert is just the most high profile player so folks panic more.

5 minutes ago, DubE_4MR said:

I don't get the criticism for Hurney here. The staff has probably done a thorough evaluation of Herbert over the past 3 years, prepared a complete draft profile, met with him at the Senior Bowl and combine, and when they have their team meetings back in Charlotte, he was probably one of a handful of guys that they zeroed in on.

These guys are doing their job. Not playing hocus pocus to trick everybody on some "HaHa got you moments". A GM on a podcast I listened too laughed at how folks think everything is a smokescreen saying "I wish we were that smart". The true smokescreens take place in mid-April.

Right now, the time is being spent on prospects that they want to spend time with and perform additional evaluations. 

Not saying they take Herbert. Hurney also met with Brown and some guys from Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. Herbert is just the most high profile player so folks panic more.

Last year everyone knew that we were taking Grier at 100. For over a month. Letting everyone know who you want can cause nothing but problems. I could see the Chargers calling us on draft day, convincing Marty they were drafting him unless we gave up next years first to move up 1. Chargers draft whoever they were going to at 6 anyway. 

Archived