• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zero reason to postpone the draft

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The CDC is giving out guidelines for a reason. Deaths in both China and Italy have jumped!

I think people need to use a little bit of logic and actually look at the numbers. If a player is from Mississippi(CDC reported cases "1 to 5") do you think it is logical to avoid contact with family members? Or do you think that some simple common sense guidelines might suffice? 

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think people need to use a little bit of logic and actually look at the numbers. If a player is from Mississippi(CDC reported cases "1 to 5") do you think it is logical to avoid contact with family members? Or do you think that some simple common sense guidelines might suffice? 

People must make their own decisions on a case-by-case basis. I would think that it would be pretty rational to decide not to have parties during a pandemic, but if someone decides to have one and people decide to show up, that's their choice.

In general, I would say that we don't want what's happening in Italy to happen here, so we may have to go the extra mile. 

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

People must make their own decisions on a case-by-case basis. I would think that it would be pretty rational to decide not to have parties during a pandemic, but if someone decides to have one and people decide to show up, that's their choice.

In general, I would say that we don't want what's happening in Italy to happen here, so we may have to go the extra mile. 

Let me direct you to a post I made in the other thread. 

Italy also experiences high mortality rates due to influenza because they have a very aging population, the second largest portion of their population is 65 and older. 

When you dig a little deeper into the story, it's pretty clear why Italy is having these issues.

It's always wise to have a healthy sense of skepticism and a cool head during these media freak outs. We've seen enough of them over the past few decades to have the experience to know to take everything with a grain of salt. There is not a great conspiracy to misinform the public but modern media operates on a 24/7 news cycle which does not involve very much in the way of thoughtful or deep research in to most subjects. They are spraying information and speculation across the airwaves(or internet) as it becomes available because that is what the industry evolved to be. They just report and they rarely, if ever, do much in the way of real analysis. That's largely because that takes time and more information to draw real conclusions. That doesn't fit in an instant gratification news cycle. 

If you just take a little deeper look at WHO, CDC or almost any legitimate scientific reporting source you will see some pretty clear trends in that preliminary statistics and some pretty clear similarities to other coronaviruses(of which there are hundreds of known varieties). Just that basic information should give a pretty basic idea of generally what to expect(within a wide range of severity). There is no reason to freak out. There is plenty of reason to use caution. That's basically it. People just need to calm down and think logically. If you are in a high risk demographic, you should very much use extreme caution. If you are not in that demographic, you just need to use the WHO and CDC's simple guidelines on basic flu/cold/illness protections. That's it. 

44 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The CDC is giving out guidelines for a reason. Deaths in both China and Italy have jumped!

Spread facts not fear. Death rate is still extremely low and when all is said and done the numbers will likely be lower than other viruses out there, that are still killing more people currently by the way. 

People throw numbers out there like look at how many people are dying. People die everyday and you people act like the world is coming to an end. 

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Let me direct you to a post I made in the other thread. 

It's always wise to have a healthy sense of skepticism and a cool head during these media freak outs. We've seen enough of them over the past few decades to have the experience to know to take everything with a grain of salt. There is not a great conspiracy to misinform the public but modern media operates on a 24/7 news cycle which does not involve very much in the way of thoughtful or deep research in to most subjects. They are spraying information and speculation across the airwaves(or internet) as it becomes available because that is what the industry evolved to be. They just report and they rarely, if ever, do much in the way of real analysis. That's largely because that takes time and more information to draw real conclusions. That doesn't fit in an instant gratification news cycle. 

If you just take a little deeper look at WHO, CDC or almost any legitimate scientific reporting source you will see some pretty clear trends in that preliminary statistics and some pretty clear similarities to other coronaviruses(of which there are hundreds of known varieties). Just that basic information should give a pretty basic idea of generally what to expect(within a wide range of severity). There is no reason to freak out. There is plenty of reason to use caution. That's basically it. People just need to calm down and think logically. If you are in a high risk demographic, you should very much use extreme caution. If you are not in that demographic, you just need to use the WHO and CDC's simple guidelines on basic flu/cold/illness protections. That's it. 

Thank you. 

29 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Thank you. 

I always implore people to think logically. As individual people, most are very reasonable and can use logic. Once you start expanding the numbers of people, FUD spreads rapidly. That's the basic vehicle that almost every genocide or horrific slaughter has been packaged into. It's no different that this. People are being bombarded with alarming information, they are not taking a skeptical view and digger deeper and they are falling prey to this "fear stampede." 

I would implore anyone with the time to search through your Facebook feed, your Instagram feed, your Twitter feed, or to watch TV media(which mainly do yourself a favor and turn those all off), to just simply open up a browser and look at some reasonably objective information. Try the CDC's website. Try the WHO's website. Try any number of scientific reporting journals or websites that have a much more reasoned view of the information stream that is emerging and are going to approach it with a much more reasonable mindset. If you are looking at any 24/7 media news stream, just take everything with a healthy dose of "wait and see." Those people reporting to you are largely journalists and not scientists nor doctors nor experts on the subject. 

Perhaps take the time to ask Google some simple questions. "What is a coronavirus?" "What kind of coronaviruses are there?" "How do coronaviruses get transmitted from animals to humans?" "US historical epidemics." etc, etc, etc.

Spend your extra time actually trying to educate yourself on this serious subject and perhaps you will not approach it with as much fear and some sense of perspective. Just ask the right questions. The information is available and we certainly have the time. 

Getting the NFL to understand and realize that head trauma and CTE is their problem was like pulling teeth, regardless how many former players were killing themselves.

You think the NFL wants to give up any of the ratings, advertising dollars or any other money-making venture they've managed to squeeze into the draft because some old people are dying from the flu-on-steroids?

I'm being sarcastically facetious here, but you get my point, right?

It'll get pushed back because the NFL wants their huge spectacle and the commish introducing the new faces on the stage (there will be a big deal made about the lack of handshakes and hugs). Even if it doesn't look like that is a reasonable possibility (and it doesn't), the NFL will push it back to give themselves every opportunity to have their spectacle.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I always implore people to think logically. As individual people, most are very reasonable and can use logic. Once you start expanding the numbers of people, FUD spreads rapidly. That's the basic vehicle that almost every genocide or horrific slaughter has been packaged into. It's no different that this. People are being bombarded with alarming information, they are not taking a skeptical view and digger deeper and they are falling prey to this "fear stampede." 

I would implore anyone with the time to search through your Facebook feed, your Instagram feed, your Twitter feed, or to watch TV media(which mainly do yourself a favor and turn those all off), to just simply open up a browser and look at some reasonably objective information. Try the CDC's website. Try the WHO's website. Try any number of scientific reporting journals or websites that have a much more reasoned view of the information stream that is emerging and are going to approach it with a much more reasonable mindset. If you are looking at any 24/7 media news stream, just take everything with a healthy dose of "wait and see." Those people reporting to you are largely journalists and not scientists nor doctors nor experts on the subject. 

Perhaps take the time to ask Google some simple questions. "What is a coronavirus?" "What kind of coronaviruses are there?" "How do coronaviruses get transmitted from animals to humans?" "US historical epidemics." etc, etc, etc.

Spend your extra time actually trying to educate yourself on this serious subject and perhaps you will not approach it with as much fear and some sense of perspective. Just ask the right questions. The information is available and we certainly have the time. 

Archived