• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm at peace with all the chaos.

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Given the state of the world right now, this crap seems trivial. 

I might have been bothered by it in the past, but as of right now, I have to many other more important worries. 

Embrace ALL the chaos. Life is transient, and suffering comes only through resistance to what is. Breathe in. Breath out. Let it be.

My heart hurts, but looking at the numbers makes me feel better.

The team is looking at only ~$106M of the payroll committed to the upcoming 2021 team with new deals needed for Christian McCaffrey, Taylor Moton, and possibly Curtis Samuel. We might also need to address LT again if Little/Daley don't look like they can hold it down in place of Okung.

2022 we've only got ~$52M committed with KK & Paradis coming off of the books along with the entire 2018 draft class (unless DJ's bonus option is taken, ofc).

2023? ~$18M with Tre Boston, Teddy B, and the 2019 draft class (sans Burns if they opt for the bonus year) coming off of the books.

They said the next 3 - 5 years were going to hurt, and a big part of that will depend on how successful the drafts are. The team is going to look for a good mix of vets to mentor along with young up and comers with something to prove on short, cheap prove it deals in free agency, which I'm totally on board with. We'll have plenty of cash, and if the 2018 + 2019 draft classes can live up to the hype we'll get thru this transition sooner.

I'm actually fine with what we are doing, minus Bridgwater. We are going to suck for 2 to 3 years. But we have needed a complete overhaul for a long time. I didnt enjoy the yo yoing for 5 to 10 wins for years giving everyone false hope we were getting better and then collapsing. 2015 was great. But it was 5 years ago and we have done nothing since then. I'll take the loses, the hand wringing, etc to build a franchise from the bottom up that has sustained success for a long run. Jerry wanted us to look like the Steelers model. If we can have a 20 year run of mostly playoffs and 2 or more Super Bowl championships like they have, then all of this will have been worth it.

2 hours ago, Icege said:

They said the next 3 - 5 years were going to hurt

I dont even think it will be 3-5 years. This year yes will suck. 

But they will either take a QB in this years draft or next years and the alternating year will be building up the team around them. I see us getting <5 wins this year but then a big jump next. 

Like you mentioned with all the available cap space we are creating now when we do get that QB (probably next year) then we will be able to sign the FA's to plug some immediate holes. 

I have hope in the process!

Think about it like this: we dump all or most of our bloated contracts, eating them this offseason, and as a result, we can only be a minor player in FA in 2020.  BUT, we are stockpiling financial capital to be major players next offseason.  

On top of that, we have a few core pieces (such as Burns, CMC, Thomas (I have faith), and likely Moton.) to build around, and will add probably 2 or 3 more key pieces in the draft ( and possibly more with some savvy draft maneuvers).   

So that leaves us with a handful of key players to work with as a foundation next offseason (and possibly more if Little, Daley, and a couple of other guys develop into legit contributors), along with a huge amount of cap space to bring in some big fish as well as some solid role players to fill in the holes.  All while having a very high draft position to make some splash draft picks (like possibly our QB of the future).  

Any time you tear down what has been in place, it is always ugly and painful.  But if it is done right, it should produce a very bright and exciting future.  Patience is the word of the day.  Next year may not be particularly pleasant, but in the end, I truly believe it will be worth it.

My football world and my real world are totally separate entities, and the football world doesn't have the power to affect the real one.

That said, the football world is a turbulent place right now.

That's expected on some level given that we knew the team was going to be rebuilding. Honestly though, I wish I had more confidence in the process.

Maybe it'll work out, but right now I'm really not sure.

Archived