• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who gets signed first: Winston or Newton?

hepcat

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

La Canfora believes the market for Newton right now is around one year, 15 million dollars.

That's a "prove it" contract.

Cam has a much better likelihood of getting a call after a team loses their starting QB for the season than hooking up with a team from the get go.

His throwing arm's ability to physically endure the rigors of an entire NFL season, not his skill/talent, is the reason Cam is on the outside looking in.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lots of people thought Bruce Arians could fix it.

Winston was said to be one of the reasons why Arians took the Tampa Bay job. Now he's dumping him after just a year.

You can get two conclusions out of that. Either Arians isn't as good as people thought or Winston is just that bad.

I'm in the former crowd, rather than the latter.

I think that BA is terribly overrated, and I think that Winston is an above average passer.

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Cam has a much better likelyhood of getting a call after a team loses their starting QB for the season than hooking up with a team from the get go.

His ability to physically endure the rigors of an entire NFL season, not his skill/talent, is the reason Cam is on the outside looking in.

Timing could be an issue as well.

It's not unusual that has the draft drugs close, if you were free agents get signed. Teams want to see how the draft shakes out before going any further. And filling a need with a draft pick is always going to be cheaper than using a free agent.

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I'm in the former crowd, rather than the latter.

I think that BA is terribly overrated, and I think that Winston is an above average passer.

It's a valid possibility.

Heaven knows I'm not that high on Ron Rivera's in game coaching ability, but he sure did seem to be able to outcoach Arians.

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Cam has a much better likelihood of getting a call after a team loses their starting QB for the season than hooking up with a team from the get go.

His arm's ability to physically endure the rigors of an entire NFL season, not his skill/talent, is the reason Cam is on the outside looking in.

100% accurate.

If teams knew the shoulder could withstand a full season, he would have been traded for, now we wait.

Question: Has Cam even not been a starter or the leader in the locker room?

Cam is a type A guy. If would be pretty hard for a guy who has 'always been the best' to be a back up. I especially dont see him backing up a rookie QB. 

Cam was really good to Allen but he knew he was the man when he came back. I have a hard time seeing him taking a back up role. I think he would rather just retire. I also dont see Cam wanting to sit a year out. I would not be surprised to see him retire if he doesnt get signed to a starting role. 

23 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

Question: Has Cam even not been a starter or the leader in the locker room?

Cam is a type A guy. If would be pretty hard for a guy who has 'always been the best' to be a back up. I especially dont see him backing up a rookie QB. 

Cam was really good to Allen but he knew he was the man when he came back. I have a hard time seeing him taking a back up role. I think he would rather just retire. I also dont see Cam wanting to sit a year out. I would not be surprised to see him retire if he doesnt get signed to a starting role. 

All QBs have to face this at some time in their career.

Archived