• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nerdstalgia

Dex

What forms of past nerdery make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? A few of mine as examples would be.

- Halo 1/2 LANs in the early 2000s. A room filled with redbull, tube TVs and the smell of BO. I had some of the best times of my life at those tournaments.

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: 2 people

- Playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion during the summer of 2006. I don''t think I left my room for that entire summer. That game was fuging magical, especially the soundtrack. See below for the feels.

- I went to the Boys & Girls club as a kid and spent most of my time in the computer lab playing an old school RTS known as Total Annihilation. We'd all play against each other and hold tournaments. Winner usually got a Slurpee or a cheese stuffed pretzel from the cafe.

Total Annihilation Steam Key GLOBAL - G2A.COM

- Playing Metal Gear Solid for the first time. I believe I was around 10 years old so I couldn't fully comprehend the game. But I knew it was special and stayed home from (faking sick) just to play it. It's influence on me is still very much felt today.

Metal Gear Solid 1 Free Download (con immagini)

I'm an only child and was raised by a single mother so I spent most of my time having to follow her around and go with her to work when I was young. Two things I ALWAYS had with me when I was at her job were my Gameboy Color with Pokemon Red and the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS. I wrote my first star wars script when I was 8 years old. It was terrible but still.

Star Wars Trilogy (VHS, 1995, 3-Tape Set) for sale online | eBayPokémon Red and Blue - Wikipedia

Arguably one of the greatest video games of all time, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was my damn life for a summer. The voice acting, soundtrack and game play were all just pitch perfect. The composer Amon Tobin truly outdid himself. Sam Fisher at his peak was a certified badass that had more one liners than John McClain and Steven Seagal put together.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Funny Moments - YouTube

AGE OF EMPIRES II. Does anything else need to be said? Oh right.... WOLOLOLO!

Amazon.com: Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings - PC: Unknown: Video Games

I know there are a LOT more that I can't think of right now and I'll update as I remember them. What are some of yours?

Hell yea total annihilation....amazing game. Before that was LAN red alert, after that LAN Starcraft. Planet T, Baldur’s gate.

Then came consoles...hours of JRPGs...chrono cross, FF7, Zeno gears, chrono trigger, vagrant story...then mainly Halo. For me it wasn’t obliviou, it was Morrowind...still my favorite elder scrolls.

Went back to the PC and really got into programming, got into this game Tribes 2, best PC game ever.

Dad banned me after I hacked aol, hotmail accounts and bank account with a virus program that ultimately ended up destroying his $1,700, 200mghz top of the line Gateway computer.

Thus my nerd ness ended. I blame him to this day not making 150k as a top computer programmer.

But at the same time I was bored as hell and finally talked to the girl a few doors down and lost my virginity at 16.

and I think we all knows what happens after teh sex...vag>being a nerd (this was way before nerds became cool, a fad, and an actual ‘type’ that turns girls on...all nerds were losers in my day)

nerds have it too easy these days

• 2 weeks later...

I used a word processor to write a paper in 6th grade. It was my aunt's whom was in college at the time. While I was writing it, they were watching a show about these dudes that kept score for how many sexy time they make with the lady. 1991 or 1992 not sure anymore how old I am.

In my day, I WAS a consistent recreational user of various chemicals/substances/alcohol, etc without any issues.

BUT, nothing strained my life like  Playing World Of Warcraft from launch pretty much 24/7 straight for 2yrs jeopardizing my  health, relationships, education, and career. 

Hearing that opening music brings tingles and memory's back just as much as any pussy or illicit substance I have consumed. 

What a awful affliction WOW was. 

I spent many, many hard-earned lawn mowing dollars buying X-Men and Marvel cards like the ones linked below. We'd have meets where kids would show up with binders and it turned into a giant swap meet. I remember one specific deal I made with a kid where we were both able to complete our respective sets of cards - it was a life-changing moment.

https://tomeofnerd.com/1993-skybox-marvel-universe-was-awesome

21 hours ago, KSpan said:

I spent many, many hard-earned lawn mowing dollars buying X-Men and Marvel cards like the ones linked below. We'd have meets where kids would show up with binders and it turned into a giant swap meet. I remember one specific deal I made with a kid where we were both able to complete our respective sets of cards - it was a life-changing moment.

https://tomeofnerd.com/1993-skybox-marvel-universe-was-awesome

Bruh. My buddy and I were buying Impel Marvel series one packs trying to get holograms. I still have a full set somewhere that I pieced together from packs.

I think that Skybox set was the last set I bought a ton of. You can get them by the case still from ebay relatively cheap, and I've been debating buying a box or two for my kids.

I loved completing a full page of them in the binder. Pulling a foil was cool too.

Archived