• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers have the consensus top draft so far?

Eazy-E

7 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

i feel like we've had a pretty bad draft.

vikings, ravens, browns, saints, 49ers, cowboys all seem to be doing p good.

Please explain good sir. Why do you think our draft is bad and what would you have done differently? Not flaming you, but curious. I think we've done very well.....on paper at least.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Early draft grades are like movie reviews based on nothing but a plot synopsis.

And the grading scale is basically grading themselves and their own ability to rank prospects.  So the closer you get to who they think you should have picked, the better your grade.  Which of course requires the idea that the media and mock draft sites are "correct."  What some people forget is that Matt Millen received high grades for some of his worst drafts.

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Connor Orr SI.com

Carolina Panthers

It’s hard not to imagine that Rhule got Week 1 starters with each of his first three picks—Derrick Brown, Yetur Gross-Matos and Jeremy Chinn. This was a foundational draft for the Panthers, who seem to be expediting any kind of rebuilding process. At nearly every critical position this winter and spring, they’ve gotten cheaper, younger and faster

Orr refers to the "picks" in the possessive as it refers to Matt Rhule -- this isn't accurate.

The "picks" belong to The Firm.

The Firm is composed of Tepper, Rhule & Hurndog.

Each has responsibilities to The Firm, and a certain level of power within The Firm (Tepp > Rhule> Hurndog)...

...but The Firm works collaboratively and in the absence of consensus only one member has full decision making authority --- Tepper.

This is how it works in Tepper's world.

I give The Firm solid A's across the board since Rhule was brought in.

People are shocked we're having the draft we're having.

Of course not all players pan out but from a general consensus big broad we got 3 highly rated players we shouldn't have. Down the road grades change but right now they're good smart picks. 

Anybody that complains now just wants to because we didn't draft their favorite prospect. 

24 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

And the grading scale is basically grading themselves and their own ability to rank prospects.  So the closer you get to who they think you should have picked, the better your grade.  Which of course requires the idea that the media and mock draft sites are "correct."  What some people forget is that Matt Millen received high grades for some of his worst drafts.

Pretty much. I've seen high grades for what turned out to be lousy picks and terrible grades for picks that proved to be great players.

I like the guys we've picked so far too, but it's always good to remember that early grades don't really mean anything.

2 hours ago, Panthero said:

Please explain good sir. Why do you think our draft is bad and what would you have done differently? Not flaming you, but curious. I think we've done very well.....on paper at least.

Derrick Brown over Isaiah Simmons. We're preaching position flexibility and then take a DT who no analyst thinks is going to be a ten sack guy. He could open up opportunities for others I suppose and is a elite run defender... but Simmons solves three issues at once as a LB, safety, and nickel, which are positions we all need to fill. Simmons also isn't fat and will be playing ever snap unlike Brown who will be rotating out like any other DL. Just doesn't seem like as good of a value as we could have gotten at #7. TBF if Simmons weren't on the board I would like it a lot more.

Yetur Gross-Matos had a good game against Ohio State and besides that largely beat up on bad teams. He also joked about pulling "a Sandusky" while hazing some students at Penn St a few months ago. Doesn't seem like the kind of high character guy who helps a locker room that Rhule keeps preaching about! Could have gotten Epenesa, Winfield, Delpit, Blacklock... although I'm biased against any 2nd rounder Hurney takes because he simply cannot hit on 2nd rounders. It's just math and science, so you can't hold this against me.

Jeremy Chinn screams bust to me. How many times has Hurney taken a tweener DB on day 2 and had them flame out? Charles Godfrey, Sherrod Martin, Rashaan Gaulden... you can't fool me four times. You didn't even fool me with Gaulden. I called that guy being a bust immediately and he was cut after like 20 games. Insane athlete but trading up for a kid from Southern Illinois??? Elliott, Dantzler, Hennessy, Cushenberry would have made me more comfortable.

Derrick Brown will probably be on the team for awhile but I don't really see YGM or Chinn working out despite being freak athletes (ironic since Brown tested horribly).

I think it’s a great draft with tons of potential. I don’t think Chin is a day one impact starter however. I went back and watched some film and his worst game by far was against the one real FBS team he played... I do think our 2 DL picks are instant improvements though. Definitely an A so far 

18 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

Derrick Brown over Isaiah Simmons. We're preaching position flexibility and then take a DT who no analyst thinks is going to be a ten sack guy. He could open up opportunities for others I suppose and is a elite run defender... but Simmons solves three issues at once as a LB, safety, and nickel, which are positions we all need to fill. Simmons also isn't fat and will be playing ever snap unlike Brown who will be rotating out like any other DL. Just doesn't seem like as good of a value as we could have gotten at #7. TBF if Simmons weren't on the board I would like it a lot more.

Yetur Gross-Matos had a good game against Ohio State and besides that largely beat up on bad teams. He also joked about pulling "a Sandusky" while hazing some students at Penn St a few months ago. Doesn't seem like the kind of high character guy who helps a locker room that Rhule keeps preaching about! Could have gotten Epenesa, Winfield, Delpit, Blacklock... although I'm biased against any 2nd rounder Hurney takes because he simply cannot hit on 2nd rounders. It's just math and science, so you can't hold this against me.

Jeremy Chinn screams bust to me. How many times has Hurney taken a tweener DB on day 2 and had them flame out? Charles Godfrey, Sherrod Martin, Rashaan Gaulden... you can't fool me four times. You didn't even fool me with Gaulden. I called that guy being a bust immediately and he was cut after like 20 games. Insane athlete but trading up for a kid from Southern Illinois??? Elliott, Dantzler, Hennessy, Cushenberry would have made me more comfortable.

Derrick Brown will probably be on the team for awhile but I don't really see YGM or Chinn working out despite being freak athletes (ironic since Brown tested horribly).

Fair enough. I watched brown all season and he was a huge difference maker on an Auburn team with a special needs coach. We only went 9-3 and brown is big reason we were that respectable. He will be a difference maker. 

As for the chinn pick, he seems to have the very positives that you want in simmons. Not as good but a somilar skill set.

I understand the matos consternation. Hes a boom or bust prospect.

All that said, i hear your worries. They arent unreasonable.

Jmo

10 hours ago, nationsford said:

I think we've got the best draft so far...  Miami think did well including tua but they got a poo ton of pics. 

With the nfc south arguably having the best qb play in football I'm glad were committed to stopping them. Teddy and the offense will put up points.

Miami drafted a bunch of projects and then Tua, who every time he gets hit they're going to wince for the next three years. I think for the amount of capital they had, their draft so far has been extremely underwhelming.

Archived