• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could it be dejavu all over again?

sml1950

For those of you who are “glass half full “ there are some similarities to what has happened this year to what happened a decade ago.  In January 2010 Seattle hired a college coach who came in and gutted the roster of veterans.  In his first draft he took 2 Safeties (Thomas/ Chancellor) , a CB (Thurmond) , 2 DL , and Okung. The backend is long,fast and physical. In 2011 he added a LB (KJ Wright) and 2 more CBs ( Sherman/Maxwell).  This formed the basis of the LOB.  He went 7-9 the first two years(although winning the West in his first year), drafted Wilson in the third year and won the SB in the fourth.

Rhule was hired in January of 2020 and has proceeded to gut the roster of veterans.  He took 3 DL, 2 Safeties, and 2 CBs in his first draft.  The backend is long,fast and physical.  This appears to be a blueprint of team building from Seattle 10 years earlier.  Next year will we finish with LBs and CBs, and then a new QB in year 3. Then in year 4?????

No one has played any games yet, so it’s way too early to know how this class translates to the NFL.  The parts probably don’t add up to 7-9, but that’s where the coaching comes in.  Carroll assimilated a TEAM culture from the beginning and they ramped up very quickly.  Schemes aside, we are now at the point where the “rubber meets the road “ and the reason why Rhule got his big contract. He wanted to know how he would do on an even playing field.... we should soon find out.

The Seahawk's division at that time was super weak if I remember correctly. I hope the comparison to Carroll's first few years with Seattle turns out being true. I still think the wins this year will be closer to 4 or 5 but if Carroll had to play todays Rams or 49ers that's where he would have been. Who knows with Arizona, I can't trust them since Aranus left there. 

I really want to see what the coaches can do now the heavy lifting offseason stuff is mostly done. 

Yehhh,.. anyone remember the 49ers, Rams, and Arizona back in the day? They were terrible,.. Seattle has just come off a hiatus too post Mike Holmgren,.. the division was the worst in football.

Seattles first playoffs were at 7-9 and the first team to do so (and also win a playoff game they pulled off against the Saints whom I believe were the Super Bowl champs?)

FYI I really pulled for them in that game with New Orleans, and Marshawn Lynch I believe made his name that game when he tore through them for that ridiculous 50 tackle run,..

anyway,.. that’s not our game right now. The Saints have a Super Bowl team,.. the Bucs have a Super Bowl team on paper,..and Atlanta is just a couple of seasons removed from being a Super Bowl team.

Brutal,..

12 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Carroll was the coach of the Jets and Pats, too. Seattle's success didn't start until they got a good QB. Might have more to do with the GM.

I think this is a point that needs to be considered when trying to make a comparison between coaches.  Carroll was more of an NFL coach who spent some time in college than he was "a college coach."  Prior to taking the USC job Carroll was in the NFL for 15 years, including 2 head coaching jobs.

1 hour ago, sml1950 said:

For those of you who are “glass half full “ there are some similarities to what has happened this year to what happened a decade ago.  In January 2010 Seattle hired a college coach who came in and gutted the roster of veterans.  In his first draft he took 2 Safeties (Thomas/ Chancellor) , a CB (Thurmond) , 2 DL , and Okung. The backend is long,fast and physical. In 2011 he added a LB (KJ Wright) and 2 more CBs ( Sherman/Maxwell).  This formed the basis of the LOB.  He went 7-9 the first two years(although winning the West in his first year), drafted Wilson in the third year and won the SB in the fourth.

Rhule was hired in January of 2020 and has proceeded to gut the roster of veterans.  He took 3 DL, 2 Safeties, and 2 CBs in his first draft.  The backend is long,fast and physical.  This appears to be a blueprint of team building from Seattle 10 years earlier.  Next year will we finish with LBs and CBs, and then a new QB in year 3. Then in year 4?????

No one has played any games yet, so it’s way too early to know how this class translates to the NFL.  The parts probably don’t add up to 7-9, but that’s where the coaching comes in.  Carroll assimilated a TEAM culture from the beginning and they ramped up very quickly.  Schemes aside, we are now at the point where the “rubber meets the road “ and the reason why Rhule got his big contract. He wanted to know how he would do on an even playing field.... we should soon find out.

This is the key. We gotta find a QB.

I personally don’t want to win a game next season.  Great q1 class coming out next year and a top pick in every round would allow a lot if offensive talent to be added to this team.  Combine that with the defensive talent from this draft and a quick turnaround is possible.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is the key. We gotta find a QB.

Yep and finding a SB QB in round 3 is just luck. Trying to blueprint a team that is almost competing and hoping you pull a rabbit out of a hat is not going to get you there most times. Much easier to get to the SB with both Manning’s, Aikman, Bradshaw, Elway, Newton, Plunkett, McNair, Mahomes, Goff, Simms and many other top 10 picks. Including a bunch of other first rounders and it’s clear that the easiest way is to get a top QB in a draft. There are outliers, but Wilson, Brady and Montana are rare animals and it seems like they are getting more rare. If we don’t get a stud QB then we are going to have to build a monster on D or find the next Wilson/Brady because there are way more Griers out there.

Well if the comparisons you are making are true its going to be a fun season. I remember watching them that season and watching them beat the Saints the first year and thinking that the team was on the cusp. If you ask Seahawks fans that was a really fun season for them to watch too because you could see they were building a team that loved playing hard and playing together. I think it will be very similar in that sense for us, we are going to see our new stars start to shine!

1 hour ago, sml1950 said:

So you’re telling me that Rhule is going to pass on a QB next year in one of the best QB classes to ever come out? Then Rhule will find his Russell Wilson in the 3rd round in his third draft?  HAAAHH. We’re taking a QB next year. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

The Seahawk's division at that time was super weak if I remember correctly. I hope the comparison to Carroll's first few years with Seattle turns out being true. I still think the wins this year will be closer to 4 or 5 but if Carroll had to play todays Rams or 49ers that's where he would have been. Who knows with Arizona, I can't trust them since Aranus left there. 

I really want to see what the coaches can do now the heavy lifting offseason stuff is mostly done. 

once harbaugh came to SF the next best team in the entire NFC was in their division.

1 minute ago, DJ feed me moore said:

once harbaugh came to SF the next best team in the entire NFC was in their division.

Your right, I thought Harbaugh came to the 49ers in 2012 but it was 2011, Carrol's 2nd year. They had two top NFC teams for a time, those were really fun games to play against them both with a young Cam and Luke. 

Our defense is just going to have too many holes--

CB will be an adventure.

LB will be worse.

The DL will be better.

We are going to be thrown on a lot.

On offense, there will be adjustments, but our OL is not there yet. Even if we re-sign Moton, there is still going to be a need at LT (maybe), G (maybe), and C.

TE has yet to be addressed seriously.

We might win 3-4 games. 

Archived