• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corey Davis and Solomon Thomas

AU-panther

I stand corrected, both players still have their 4th year to play under contract.

Move along :)

Two former top 10 picks did not have their 5 yr options picked up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001112462/article/titans-decline-option-for-former-no-5-pick-corey-davis

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001112471/article/49ers-decline-fifthyear-option-on-dl-solomon-thomas

Corey Davis (WR) for the Titans, has flashed at times but has had injuries.  This is what I don't understand about the Seth Roberts pickup, is he really much better than Davis and he ended up counting against us on the comp picks. 

Solomon Thomas (DE) for the 49ers, never really lived up to his draft position.  I liked him a lot coming out of Stanford.  I thought worst case he would be a strong side end on running downs and then kick inside on passing downs, which that is something we could use on our front.

Depending on how cheap both are they could find a home on our roster.  Also if you sign them to a one year cheap deal and they play well you can always let them walk a year later and get a comp pick out of them.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They're still under contract with their current teams. They won't be free agents until after this coming season.

Yep. I think both still have potential though and although it’s a year early, both fit the bill as guys to take a flyer on with a change of scenery being beneficial. Would not trade for either or give either much more than low end starter or backup money.

As a side note, and I posted this in the Fournette thread, this shows how much us fans know... I badly wanted Thomas, Adams or Fournette over McCaffrey pre-draft in 2017. Like badly enough I’d have been happy at the time with us trading up a few spots to get one of those guys.... 

Looking back, Thomas and Fournette are worthless top 4 picks. Adams is great and would be a tough decision in a re-draft (prob still pick McCaffrey though). 

Corey Davis, I did like going into the draft but not In the top 10. Him and McCaffrey were similar to me at the time and I thought should’ve been late 1st round picks.

Should leave the scouting up to the experts....

I'm surprised at Thomas. I didn't know if he'd be a pass rushing superstar in the NFL, but I didn't expect him to be nearly as disappointing as he has been. I kinda questioned his speed at the college level since it looked like he primarily got by on power, but then he performed really well at the combine and solidified himself as an elite prospect. I'm never surprised when a small program guy disappoints. It's already tough enough to try to project guys to the next level without trying to factor in an even bigger jump in level of competition.

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm surprised at Thomas. I didn't know if he'd be a pass rushing superstar in the NFL, but I didn't expect him to be nearly as disappointing as he has been. I kinda questioned his speed at the college level since it looked like he primarily got by on power, but then he performed really well at the combine and solidified himself as an elite prospect. I'm never surprised when a small program guy disappoints. It's already tough enough to try to project guys to the next level without trying to factor in an even bigger jump in level of competition.

Totally agree.  Great measurables, great college production, big time program.

Like you I didn't think he would be some speed rusher or lead the league in sacks, but like I said in my originally post, I thought he would be a great LDE who could move inside on passing downs.

42 minutes ago, t96 said:

As a side note, and I posted this in the Fournette thread, this shows how much us fans know... I badly wanted Thomas, Adams or Fournette over McCaffrey pre-draft in 2017. Like badly enough I’d have been happy at the time with us trading up a few spots to get one of those guys.... 

Looking back, Thomas and Fournette are worthless top 4 picks. Adams is great and would be a tough decision in a re-draft (prob still pick McCaffrey though). 

Corey Davis, I did like going into the draft but not In the top 10. Him and McCaffrey were similar to me at the time and I thought should’ve been late 1st round picks.

Fournette's issues are mostly injury, with a little bit of attitude thrown in.  He could resolve those issues.  He actually had a very good year last year.  Over 1100 yards averaging 4.5 a carry and 500 plus receiving yards on top of it is a good year.  On a good team, it might be a probowl year.  If he can stay healthy, he is probably looking at a relatively long NFL career, even if he doesn't make the money he thought he would.

Thomas on the other hand might be out of the league in 2-3 years.  

29 minutes ago, bull123 said:

I’d give a 5th, maybe 6th for him right now...worth the risk

You could give a 5th for him, start him all year and then let him walk as a free agency and probably get a 4th or 5th back as a comp pick if you wanted to play that game.  A starting DE, even if average will command a decent enough salary to get a decent comp pick.

That is if you are willing to play the comp pick game which we have shown no inclination of doing.

This mid to late round draft picks, that so many are fond of saying have little to no chance of working out, can be used as capitol to pick up players on short term deals and if you do it right you get your investment back out of them.  Its something the Patriots do all the time.

3 hours ago, t96 said:

I LOVED Thomas in that draft... it goes to show just how there is no certain thing in the draft. 

Archived