• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Wont partake in Trevor Lawerence sweepstakes

ncfan

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s the most likely outcome unless Teddy stinks because our OL is mediocre. That article is just an opinion piece but realistically we are 0-6 or 1-5 in this division based on the changes in the other teams and our rookie laden D. I loved the draft but assuming all the rookie starters play great this year is wishful thinking. Chinn might not start right away and Pride is going to be on an island/not better than Bradberry year 1 and Yetur is likely not going to be better than Addison. I think Brown, obviously, will help improve us the most but I’m not optimistic about Short. I think he’ll be a big waste of money. Whitehead sure isn’t going to help us enough to replace Luke. I just don’t see our 2020 D being better than this year or even 2018 when we were awful most of the season.

Also, the guy who wrote the article sure isn’t thinking about depth. We have none. If we get some key injuries, ooh wee, it could be awful and injury happens.

That's what I keep saying. I really like this draft for the future and I think it might very well build the foundation of what will become a very good defense in a couple of years, but I can't see a defense that was terrible last year and lost it's best player from every level actually improving year over year by adding a bunch of rookies. Enjoy the flashes )and I think there will be plenty) because overall I think this very well might be one of the all-time worst NFL defenses.

That's what gives me some hope that the ill advised plan to sign Teddy won't derail our chances at landing a top pick. I can't see a Teddy Bridgewater led offense overcoming an all-time terrible defense to notch more than 2-3 wins.

7 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Here is a scenario where Hurney could have learned from his massive F%&K up with Cam and his rookie deal.  We all know the formula, unless you have a generational QB, you likely need a young good passer on a rookie deal with a good team around him and some cap dollars in the bank to make specific moves.

We were there, we could have stripped this roster down to the bones with only a handful of key players retained, cleaned up the cap completely, built the O Line last year and this year, along side the D line, and accumulated draft picks while putting you into the position to grab Fields or Lawrence...which ever you grade higher and make a run at it.

The very best part...by the time we were ready to compete...3 years from now, Brady and Brees will be gone, and Ryan is even older..the division would be ours for 5+ years.

Nope.  Let's win 4 games.  Shortsighted...like this team has been for it's entire existence.

You guys know my thoughts. We were in the perfect place with perfect timing. Save $90M to rollover to 2022 or 2023, use the 3, 4, 5 and 6 round comp picks in 2021 to add young interior OL and still have our full 7 picks in 2021, get a rookie franchise QB and resign Moore, CMC and Moton to build around. Our 2020 draft class was great but signing FAs killed that huge rollover and comp picks.

We did all these 1 year deals. The only place we have young talent now is on D. We’ve got CMC and I hope Moore, but no long term QB and WRs and we have 1 starting OL under contract for 2021 and it’s Paradis who everyone assumed we’d release before 2021. Obviously, we’ll be drafting OL in 2021, but damn now we don’t have 4 picks that would be solid for Gs and Cs.

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The defense might actually be better too. It was insanely bad at the end of 2019, especially after Rivera was fired. You might be surprised how much of a difference young hungry players coached by a staff that is actually motivated to prove themselves at the pro level will make. I'll take that over complacent Rivera and his declining veterans.

I fully agree with you on this - but my biggest concern on the D is the 2nd level.  Shaq was good but didn't impress me much last year...I don't see Whitehead as much different other than older and slower.  And along with them we have......nothing....not even really prospects. 

The only reason I didn't say the secondary is my biggest concern is I still see Boston and Jackson as 2 solid players and 1 solid veteran....as well as maybe Burris.  I think we will definitely be better against the run, but the youth of this defense is very risky - could be really good or really bad.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's what I keep saying. I really like this draft for the future and I think it might very well build the foundation of what will become a very good defense in a couple of years, but I can't see a defense that was terrible last year and lost it's best player from every level actually improving year over year by adding a bunch of rookies. Enjoy the flashes )and I think there will be plenty) because overall I think this very well might be one of the all-time worst NFL defenses.

We can only hope we still get the top pick and can cut Teddy without much damage. The thought that Teddy with our OL is going to be able to win shootouts seems ludicrous. If he’s put into must pass situations and he can’t escape like Cam, he’s going to take a beating. If he goes down, it’s Grier time.

1 minute ago, Stingray3030 said:

I fully agree with you on this - but my biggest concern on the D is the 2nd level.  Shaq was good but didn't impress me much last year...I don't see Whitehead as much different other than older and slower.  And along with them we have......nothing....not even really prospects. 

The only reason I didn't say the secondary is my biggest concern is I still see Boston and Jackson as 2 solid players and 1 solid veteran....as well as maybe Burris.  I think we will definitely be better against the run, but the youth of this defense is very risky - could be really good or really bad.

I hope DJax can bounce back. He was absolutely awful last year.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope DJax can bounce back. He was absolutely awful last year.

For sure - I think he is just not disciplined and it hurt him last year.  He stared at the QB and got faked on double-moves too much - can't do that against the top tier QB's in this division.  I still think he has tremendous potential if he stops the risky play.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's what gives me some hope that the ill advised plan to sign Teddy won't derail our chances at landing a top pick. I can't see a Teddy Bridgewater led offense overcoming an all-time terrible defense to notch more than 2-3 wins.

I agree about losing the great #59 but with the addition of Brown, I'm totally convinced with good health he will dominate, he will be THAT guy. Before the Cam fiasco that was my guy.

I'm fine with whatever QB they can get next year. This defense on paper could be special if at least two or three of these rookies pull their weight. I'm oddly optimistic.

I've said on this here site that Hurney NEVER drafted a first round DT. The man has come full circle.

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You guys know my thoughts. We were in the perfect place with perfect timing. Save $90M to rollover to 2022 or 2023, use the 3, 4, 5 and 6 round comp picks in 2021 to add young interior OL and still have our full 7 picks in 2021, get a rookie franchise QB and resign Moore, CMC and Moton to build around. Our 2020 draft class was great but signing FAs killed that huge rollover and comp picks.

We did all these 1 year deals. The only place we have young talent now is on D. We’ve got CMC and I hope Moore, but no long term QB and WRs and we have 1 starting OL under contract for 2021 and it’s Paradis who everyone assumed we’d release before 2021. Obviously, we’ll be drafting OL in 2021, but damn now we don’t have 4 picks that would be solid for Gs and Cs.

This has always been the MO of Marty Hurney.

He simply can't look at a roster and tell if it's good or not, and he certainly can't look into the future and plan for it.

At the end of the day, we could have put ourselves in position to win for the next 10 years, and we screwed it up.  Now, maybe we are just bad enough of a team of thwart Marty's plan anyway...but I'm scared we win 1 too many games.

This team is very frustrating to follow for someone who actually likes the team building more than the games sometimes.

7 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

My biggest hope is the defensive line will be a strength, which should help the secondary. 

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We can only hope we still get the top pick and can cut Teddy without much damage. The thought that Teddy with our OL is going to be able to win shootouts seems ludicrous. If he’s put into must pass situations and he can’t escape like Cam, he’s going to take a beating. If he goes down, it’s Grier time.

Let's hope so.

I would like to see Teddy mentor a JF or TL for half a season or so...which would play into his contract setup of us being about to cut him after year 2 with a $5M cap hit.

Starts terribly for us this year, lands us the pick, starts 6 or so games in 21 while pick learns, cut him after the season.

We won't be that lucky.

Article might be right, but combined with our division/schedule I still see us picking Top 5 next year. 

I mean honestly, who's worse? - Jax for sure, Detroit/Washington as maybes...and who else? If Stafford stays somewhat healthy, Detroit might be better.  Washington's defense could be pretty good and I could see RR eeking out a 5-6 win season.  

In which case, depending on how the rest of the teams fall, could easily see us flipping a TON of picks to move up for Fields since Lawrence is probably off the table unless you're picking #1.  Only issue is we may need a "surprise" bad team like the Giants, Bengals, or Jets who have their QB of the future and hope they stick with them since Jax, Det, and Washington would seemingly all be happy to draft a QB in 2021.

38 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly doubt we so much as match last year's five win total.

I got drunk and bet my best friend $300 we break .500, so I damn well hope we do.  But I’m already accounting for that $300 loss.  I get too confident in this team sometimes.  It’s a miracle I’m not homeless.

Archived