• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Bridgwater is anythign less than elite, the front office screwed up

AU-panther

On 5/5/2020 at 12:56 PM, AU-panther said:

Cam still unsigned.

Dalton signed for 3-7 million.

Winston signed for 1-3 million.

As the title says, if Teddy Bridgewater in anything less than elite we screwed up.

If we use a first round pick on a QB, signing TB was a mistake.  You are basically spending 60 million to keep a seat warm.

I don't buy the excuse that he will be good for a rookie to learn from.  That is what coaches are for, but if you are determeined to have a vet to learn from you can find those cheaply in free agency

Don't get me wrong, I hope he flourishes in our system, and maybe he will, and at that point 20 million is a year is more than fair. 

I'm just not a big fan of paying guys to become something they haven't been consitatntaly in the past.  Matt Kalil is a perfect example of that.  We paid him hoping he would become something better than his recent play showed.

We could have kept Cam under contract while he waited for an offer another team with the intention of just using Grier.  At this point Cam might have been willing to play under just a one year deal.

I'm not even going to get into how many draft picks, either through comp picks or higher future picks we are probably going to lose out on.

I think the ultimately the front office misjudged the QB market this year, not only what Cam would get on the open market, but also what the team could have signed if they didn't want to keep Cam.

I really hope Bridgewater flourishes and turns into Drew Brees and we don't even need to draft a QB next year, but its definitely a huge gamble.

Wrong. 

He just needs to play the way they expect him to play. 

Stop putting stupid, unrealistic expectations on players.

Cam wasn't even elite. You're stating that you expecting more out of Teddy than you did Cam. 

That's fuging bullshit. 

Cam is still unsigned for the very reason he's not a Panther anymore.  Must be difficult for you to grasp that. 

It's not the Panthers brass job to judge Cam's value on the open market. Their job is to put together the best team they can, moving forward.  That is what they have done. 

If Im being honest(Teddy at 20per is a great value for a NFL starter) Teddy would have been about the 7th choice. I wanted to keep Cam, did not want to add years/money(can tag him after). No Cam, ok run with either Allen or Grier. Nope Walker wants in, thats fine too. Theres a couple of others Id choose - Winston at 1 million, Bortles is still free, Dalton for 3-7, etc. Most of these were after the facts too, hindsight 2020.  Hell the human giraffe is still a FA, is Teddy 20x better than Glennon?? No. 

Still the new team wanted Teddy and they got him at a good price if he shows out. 

5 hours ago, CRA said:

Teddy also has a unique value for Carolina that doesn't exist elsewhere.  Which IMO is money well spent.  Part of the Teddy appeal and why he works in Carolina....is he won't be learning the Joe Brady offense in the same manner as everyone else on O.  Having a QB who gets it from day 1 aids everyone. 

That might be somewhat true if we had a playoff type of roster, but chances are we aren't making the playoffs this year.

If we don't make the playoffs then our coaches, who get paid to teach, have a whole season to teach the young guys the system.

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Wrong. 

He just needs to play the way they expect him to play. 

Stop putting stupid, unrealistic expectations on players.

Cam wasn't even elite. You're stating that you expecting more out of Teddy than you did Cam. 

That's fuging bullshit. 

Cam is still unsigned for the very reason he's not a Panther anymore.  Must be difficult for you to grasp that. 

It's not the Panthers brass job to judge Cam's value on the open market. Their job is to put together the best team they can, moving forward.  That is what they have done. 

What if we say "franchise QB" instead of elite?  Is that better?

Basically if we draft a QB in the first round next year then we overpaid for a "bridge QB'.

If TB turns into a franchise QB and you don't have to draft a QB early next year then yes his contract is more than fair, but if we 6-10 this year and draft a guy in the first round next year then we wasted cap space and draft capital.

Not sure why that is hard to understand.

Also, its not that I'm upset with us letting Cam go.  We could have possible gone 6-10 with Cam and at very least got a comp pick out of him next year.  So that is two 3rds (comp pick for Bradberry this year that was cancelled by TB and a comp pick for Cam next year) we lost out on. Also if Cam plays relatively well and shows he is healthy you probably get a lot more than a 3rd for him.

6 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

What if we say "franchise QB" instead of elite?  Is that better?

Basically if we draft a QB in the first round next year then we overpaid for a "bridge QB'.

If TB turns into a franchise QB and you don't have to draft a QB early next year then yes his contract is more than fair, but if we 6-10 this year and draft a guy in the first round next year then we wasted cap space and draft capital.

Not sure why that is hard to understand.

Also, its not that I'm upset with us letting Cam go.  We could have possible gone 6-10 with Cam and at very least got a comp pick out of him next year.  So that is two 3rds (comp pick for Bradberry this year that was cancelled by TB and a comp pick for Cam next year) we lost out on. Also if Cam plays relatively well and shows he is healthy you probably get a lot more than a 3rd for him.

Not sure why you cant understand that 20 mil is cheap for a starting QB.  Winston and Dalton are not srarting, so they arent getting starting QB money.

2 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Not sure why you cant understand that 20 mil is cheap for a starting QB.  Winston and Dalton are not srarting, so they arent getting starting QB money.

I wonder what he thought of when Allen was gettin 500K starting..

fug the comp pick game. 

Some of you feel GMs control every aspect of everything. 

This isn't madden. 

Teddy was signed as a veteran QB that the coaches can trust to lead the offense for the next season. And he's worth that whether you agree or not. 

He wasn't signed to be a franchise QB. 

No franchise QB makes as little as 20.million anymore.  That's peanuts. 

It should go without saying; there must be elite QBs available in order for you to even have the opportunity to get an elite QB. I didn't say used-to-be-elite or possibly elite, I said "elite." And even after all that, you must have the money to pay for them. Otherwise, you pick the guy whom you believe is best fitting with your system, pay somewhere within the range of market value, and then hope that he develops into an elite prospect--at least one good enough to not screw up on Sundays, and possibly even win enough to put you into the dance where anything can happen. Bridgewater was our best short to mid term option as deemed by the brass, and if we're lucky, maybe he can play well enough to be considered long term. I think this is the realistic expectation, and to make it more than it is is simply crazy talk!

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:

Whether it is cheap or not is irrelevant.

If we win 6 games next year and we draft a rookie in the first round next year is it worth it?

6 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Whether it is cheap or not is irrelevant.

If we win 6 games next year and we draft a rookie in the first round next year is it worth it?

I think you're trying too hard

Archived