• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton "Nobody Called Me....They Sent a Text"

PantherBoy95

14 hours ago, AggieLean said:

Again with the criticizing Cam for downplaying his injuries and wanting to get on the field. Any other player would be applauded for it. I’ve seen posters on here criticize our own players for not getting on the field due to injuries. I’ve seen players on here criticized for not getting on the playing field in weeks due to concussions. Ive seen it with Oher, Otah, and I’ve seen KK being criticized for not being on the field

Most players are playing with injuries and applauded for it. For some reason, that is used against Cam. 

But then again, I’ve seen individuals say Mahomes isn’t an elite QB, so pardon me if I don’t think a lot of people on here are able to judge QB play

The coaches and other staff have access to his medical records. They also can access the player during practice. Ultimately it is their call. Everyone but Rivera saw Cam had been hurting. Rivera chose to get Cam further injured because he desperately needed Cam to save his job yet again.

On 7/15/2020 at 4:57 PM, CatMan72 said:

Schefter had some interesting comments on WFNZ this morning when asked about this... 

Said Cam's agent (Bus Cook) was well aware the team had planned to put him up for trade long before the supposed text. Schefter knows this because he & Bus actually talked about it months ago.

So, the communication breakdown sounds like it took place between Cam & his agent from this perspective. The team was speaking to Cam through his agent and figured a text was ok because he had already been informed by his agent that this was the plan. 

I listened to that (it was Ian Rapoport btw), he basically called Cam a liar. This drama side of Cam, I will not miss at all. Still understand its been 8 years, 1st overpick, carried the team, played hurt, etc. Emotional at a all-time for sure.

Plus 99.9% of big name players that get cut, teams mis-handle the event.  

These type of threads are pointless, nobody really knows the full story.  Cam is going to give his side, which most likely is going to be somewhat tilted favorable to him.  The team, if they say anything at all, which they probably won't, will be tilted their way.

We truly have no idea how contentious the discussions were.  

What if we were to find out that Cam's agent went to the team at the beginning of the year and said that Cam under no circumstances would Cam play under the last year of his deal and he was expecting an extension at current starting QB prices?  Would that change how you viewed this situation?  Would you blame the team looking for a trade at that point?  Do we know this to have happened? No.  It is out of the realm of possibility when dealing with agents? No

People need to remember when all of these decisions were being made nobody expected Cam to be so under valued by the entire league that he wouldn't sign until July and at close to the league minimum.  If the team knew they wouldn't have received anything in trade for him, and he would have been willing to play for $1m on a one year deal they might have kept him.  I would have.  Worst case he plays terrible, you get a good draft pick and you are only out $1m.  Better case he plays decent, shows he is healthy and he walks as a free agent and you get a 3rd round comp pick.  Best case he plays great, you have your franchise QB and you sign him to a real contract.

These type of breakups often don't' go well.  This isn't some situation where a player retires on his terms and everyone is happy.  I'm sure some feelings and egos got hurt here.  Its easy to say things should have been handled better but as a fan the truth is we really don't know what happened behind closed doors.  Cam might not even know some of the things that happened.  That is what happens when you pay people to handle your business.

As a fan though, this is what I do know.  Cam played his heart out, his entire career with the Panthers, which as a fan, that is all you can hope for.  Also Cam seemed to do a lot of stuff off the field for the community.  As a fan you can't expect that, but you should appreciate it.  Hopefully one day he will be remembered by the organization for all of that.

Was Cam a better player that some on this board think?  Yes.  Was Cam a worse player than some on this board think? Yes.  With that being said I truly believe we should have won more with him and a lot of that blame falls on the organization.

17 hours ago, Basbear said:

I listened to that (it was Ian Rapoport btw), he basically called Cam a liar. This drama side of Cam, I will not miss at all. Still understand its been 8 years, 1st overpick, carried the team, played hurt, etc. Emotional at a all-time for sure.

Plus 99.9% of big name players that get cut, teams mis-handle the event.  

Cam also worded it weird too on that roundtable.  Right after he said it and everyone picked up on what he said...he even attempted to clarify but then really didn't. 

I don't think Cam actually meant he just got a random text saying they were done w/ him.  Comes off as if that was how the whole thing went down.  Think there was a lot of conversation. At one point he did get a text and didn't like that.  Hell, I get mad at my wife sometimes because there are often subjects I get irritated when she wants to have it over text.    Tell her all the time, she ain't so busy or important that we gotta to talk about X over dang text.   We can talk in person about X.  That ain't a text convo.   I think that is MOST likely what Cam was getting at.  But just a guess. 

On 7/16/2020 at 12:39 PM, KillerKat said:

The coaches and other staff have access to his medical records. They also can access the player during practice. Ultimately it is their call. Everyone but Rivera saw Cam had been hurting. Rivera chose to get Cam further injured because he desperately needed Cam to save his job yet again.

I think Ron knew Cam was hurt.  Ron isn't dumb.  

Ron always struggled protecting Cam from Cam.  Dates back to his car accident.  Cam had a large role in it all too.  Hard to help a guy when he isn't being honest about his injuries.  Which Cam admits to.   

Wish Cam could have gotten a better send off. 
We can say how, why , speculate why not but at the end of the day I’ll use the lines in classic movie Predator .

Dutch:
What happened to you, Dillon? You used to be someone I could trust.

Dillon:
I woke up. Why don't you? You're an asset. An expendable asset. And I used you to get the job done, got it?

We are all expendable assets at the end of the day and it’s rare to find anyone that really cares much more than that . 

On 7/17/2020 at 12:58 PM, CRA said:

Cam also worded it weird too on that roundtable.  Right after he said it and everyone picked up on what he said...he even attempted to clarify but then really didn't. 

I don't think Cam actually meant he just got a random text saying they were done w/ him.  Comes off as if that was how the whole thing went down.  Think there was a lot of conversation. At one point he did get a text and didn't like that.  Hell, I get mad at my wife sometimes because there are often subjects I get irritated when she wants to have it over text.    Tell her all the time, she ain't so busy or important that we gotta to talk about X over dang text.   We can talk in person about X.  That ain't a text convo.   I think that is MOST likely what Cam was getting at.  But just a guess. 

Lol I have to do the same damn thing with my wife sometimes. Especially if we know it’s a subject we’re going to disagree on or something. An important conversation or relaying of information needs to be had in person, texts can be much more easily misconstrued.  Hate texting for anything more than quick basic communications. 

On 7/15/2020 at 10:27 AM, CatTower said:

At least show some respect for others.

There’s a pretty hymn that we sing in church...

“Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!”

Same thing can be said for many of you demanding “respect”.

YOU first, brah.

On 7/15/2020 at 4:16 PM, AggieLean said:

Man, we used to get so hyped during games. I was a talker. I would talk trash all game. I was a CB, and if I made a stop, I was letting you know I stopped you. I got burnt a few times and had to walk back to the huddle telling the guys “I don’t know what happened” or “that’s on me” but I kept talking. We had a guy that would act like a literal maniac, and we also had some eccentric guys like Cam. 

If you don’t like seeing emotion, then football isn’t your game. It’s a grind getting every yard in football. It’s why these guys get so excited when they score. 

Its hilarious how some people think this is a recent thing.  Dick Fuggin’ Butkus would make sure every damn quarterback and running back on the field knew who was coming and the type of destruction he intended to bestow upon them and their whole damn families.  After he destroyed you he damn sure wouldn’t give you a friendly hand up off the ground either.  He never stooped to help lesser animalia (i.e. the opponent).

And Hall of Famer and universally-respected Butkus was not unique in that regard as a player in his era.

You’re right... its as if some of these people not only have never played the game, hell, they don’t even know what they’ve been watching all these years.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:11 PM, CRA said:

I think Ron knew Cam was hurt.  Ron isn't dumb.  

Ron always struggled protecting Cam from Cam.  Dates back to his car accident.  Cam had a large role in it all too.  Hard to help a guy when he isn't being honest about his injuries.  Which Cam admits to.   

Partly true, bit it ain’t the niggling little hard-to-notice injuries we’re talking about here.

Ron kept sending him out there in 2018 when Cam could barely throw the ball.  He was throwing the ball like a damn shot-put.  I saw it. You saw it.  There ain’t no “golly Cam said he was OK I didn’t know he was hurt so bad!” in a case like that. It was OBVIOUS. And Ron knew it and sent him on the field anyway to (yet again) try to save his own skin.

Same in 2019. Cam couldn’t even put weight on one of his feet. I saw it. You saw it. And so did that fugging clown, Ron Rivera, but yet again he prioritized taking the heat off of his own backside over Cam’s long-term health and condition.

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

Partly true, bit it ain’t the niggling little hard-to-notice injuries we’re talking about here.

Ron kept sending him out there in 2018 when Cam could barely throw the ball.  He was throwing the ball like a damn shot-put.  I saw it. You saw it.  There ain’t no “golly Cam said he was OK I didn’t know he was hurt so bad!” in a case like that. It was OBVIOUS. And Ron knew it and sent him on the field anyway to (yet again) try to save his own skin.

Same in 2019. Cam couldn’t even put weight on one of his feet. I saw it. You saw it. And so did that fugging clown, Ron Rivera, but yet again he prioritized taking the heat off of his own backside over Cam’s long-term health and condition.

we all knew in '18 when his comp % was so high he couldn't throw downfield.  we could see it.   this was before tj took that shot on him.  to whomever up there, i think cra, said ron wasn't dumb - well if he's not dumb then he's malicious.  but its obvious now that he's both.

4 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

There’s a pretty hymn that we sing in church...

“Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!”

Same thing can be said for many of you demanding “respect”.

YOU first, brah.

This you brah?

Archived