• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NBA Draft Thread 11/18 8 PM EST ESPN. Post your rumors, picks, opinions, etc here.

Lavar did not look happy, at all.  Sat there stone-faced and didn't even uncross his arms for a good while.

Good news is he has the balls to hold Mike Jordan accountable and do so in a public fashion -- nobody else in Charlotte ever has.

I've always been a fan of Lonzo, think he's a good kid.  Not sure Melo is wired quite the same way but hope he succeeds.

Looks like most agree Ball was the smart pick and probably the most talented pick too.   Time will tell, but at least it wasn't a BAD pick at the time.   Seems like the two big men we took are projects or just space eaters.  Riller, if his skill translates to the NBA could be the steal of the entire draft.    His court IQ in scoring and splitting defenders is crazy.     His finishing ability is fantastic as well.    He's a scorer, and we need that.    He was projected a mid-first or early second I think.    Overall, there is a lot to like about this draft and I think we did pretty good (and without a crazy trade).       Now, let's see what we do in FA.   

If he’s as good as advertised and they had passed it would have been the final nail in the Jordan/Hornets draft coffin. Worse than Kobe, maybe even Kwame Brown.

Shoots for the stars. Who knows when they’ll get another chance to draft a kid with this much potential.

LaMelo Ball comes with the fear of his overbearing father.  However, LaVar seems to have calmed down some since Lonzo settled into the league, so aside from some silly jabs at Jordan, I don't expect him to be much of a distraction.  As a player, LaMelo is already an elite passer and very good ball handler who has high-level court vision and a high BBIQ.  And while his personality is flashy and will draw attention, his playing style is very team oriented, which bodes well for our current team.  His defense and shooting is horrendous, but from all reports he is a hard worker, so I do expect solid improvement in both areas with proper coaching and development...I don't think he'll ever be an elite shooter or defender, but he should be good enough that he won't be a liability.

Vernon Carey Jr. is the rare player that might have been somewhat hurt by playing at Duke (or at least the perception of what he can do as a player).  I read that in HS he played more on the outside and in a more contemporary style than he was able to show at Duke.  However, at Duke they wanted him to bulk up and play inside to fit better with team needs and the scheme Coach K wanted to run.  Reports say he's already dropped more than 30 pounds and has been working on his jump shot since the season ended, which will obviously make him much quicker and likely should allow him to better guard players outside.  One good thing that came from him having to change his style to play at Duke, though, is that he worked on his low post moves, rebounding, and interior scoring.  So, with the weight loss, he should be quicker and able to play more of the modern style than what he showed at Duke, but with the ability to bang in the middle.  

Nick Richards seems to be the ideal type of player that you take a flyer on in the 2nd round.  He has good size, but despite his age, he is still just learning the game.  And apparently, the light started to come on this year, although he is still very raw and needs development.  But he should already be a decent defender and rebounder who can score when needed, so some time with NBA coaches and playing in Greensboro, he has the potentially be a solid role player.    

Grant Riller seems to be that sparkplug type of scorer that every team needs.  I don't see him as a starter, and maybe not even in the main rotation, but I do believe he is the type that can come in and score some quick points in bursts off the bench.  He's really the type of pesky player teams hate to face.

This was really a very good draft that is balanced and has lots of potential, although it also comes with risk.  

9 hours ago, JJman Returns said:

Look, almost everybody hates Lavar Ball, but if you think his narcissism spreads to his kids, you’re wrong. His kids are very quiet for how famous they are, and they have an extraordinary work ethic. I’ve never been more excited about a draft pick by this franchise. 

If his work ethic is so great why is his shot so poor? I have seen AAU kids iron out shooting form/mechanics issues in an year, but this kid has played professionally and still has thr same issues he had as an AAU guy. You have to know it is a problem before you fix it, I don't believe he thinks it is a problem. 

Ball will be a serviceable starter in the NBA but I don't see any star future for him. TBQH, this draft was extremely weak at the top, so our odds of getting a superstar were slim to none. 

Bobnets gonna Bobnet.

51 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If his work ethic is so great why is his shot so poor? I have seen AAU kids iron out shooting form/mechanics issues in an year, but this kid has played professionally and still has thr same issues he had as an AAU guy. You have to know it is a problem before you fix it, I don't believe he thinks it is a problem. 

Ball will be a serviceable starter in the NBA but I don't see any star future for him. TBQH, this draft was extremely weak at the top, so our odds of getting a superstar were slim to none. 

Bobnets gonna Bobnet.

The thing is, he's already a stellar passer. His defense is going to get better too. He averaged 17 ppg in Australia. Anything overseas is harder than the NBA now (see comments from Luka). So, we'll see going forward. 

Archived