Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Do you want the Panthers to win any more games?


hepcat

Recommended Posts

tbh i dont want to win.  I want whats best for the panthers long term. I want to win a SB, and in order to do that we need a good QB.  

 

Winning a game now just to feel good may cause us to lose out on our guy. 

 

I want the young guys to play, and gain expirience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a list of QB's taken in the top 10 for the last 10 drafts before this past year.  Guess how many Super Bowls they have won combined? Anybody?

 

 

2019  - Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones

2018 - Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen

2017 - Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahommes

2016 - Jared Goff, Carson Wentz

2015 - Jamesis Winston, Marcus Mariota

2014 - Blake Bortles

2013 -  None  EJ Manuel was the first QB taken, 16th overall

2012 - Andrew Luck

2011 - Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert

2010 - Sam Bradford

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want us to lose out. I've seen way too many seasons where we won a couple of meaningless games and lost out on elite talent. Get a top 5 or so pick and you can select or trade out for more talent. We still have a lot of holes on the offensive line, defensive line and secondary as well as depth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

not sure where you got that i was "dismissing them" only pointing out that it's definitely a winnable game. people are almost chalking up these last 4 games as automatic losses, but while the panthers are fugging bad, so is washington, so we'll see what happens.

it's completely possible that the panthers win 3 out of the last 4 games and finish 7-9. not what the "tank for higher pick" guys want to hear but definitely possible.

Well we have been in most of the games enough to be able to say that about everyone we play. The reality is that Denver and Washington are the two reasonable scenarios where we win.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get a high draft pick this year, great.  I will take it.  For one or two years, its ok.  But the reality is that a team becomes a consistent winning team by learning to win.  If we keep getting top five or ten draft picks, its because we suck and are continuing to suck.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir Purr said:

Here is a list of QB's taken in the top 10 for the last 10 drafts before this past year.  Guess how many Super Bowls they have won combined? Anybody?

 

 

2019  - Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones

2018 - Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen

2017 - Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahommes

2016 - Jared Goff, Carson Wentz

2015 - Jamesis Winston, Marcus Mariota

2014 - Blake Bortles

2013 -  None  EJ Manuel was the first QB taken, 16th overall

2012 - Andrew Luck

2011 - Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert

2010 - Sam Bradford

 

 

Two.

 

Also, of the SB's in that era(2011 to 2020) only 3 of the QB's who won a SB Ring were actually drafted from 2011 to 2019. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 11:23 AM, Sir Purr said:

No. I remember the 2015 season how mad I got when we won 15 games.  Totally screwed up our draft position. Every Sunday sucked knowing that we were throwing away a chance at a top draft pick, and for what? To almost have an undefeated season?  Nope. Give me less wins and MORE  HIGH DRAFT PICKS every year!

This is a strawman argument 

We have nothing to compete for this year, we're all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and even if we did make it we're not nearly good enough to compete for a Superbowl. 

If you want to get back to 2015 step one would be to get an actual franchise QB, and in order to increase our odds of that losing benefits us in the long run. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SOJA said:

This is a strawman argument 

We have nothing to compete for this year, we're all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and even if we did make it we're not nearly good enough to compete for a Superbowl. 

If you want to get back to 2015 step one would be to get an actual franchise QB, and in order to increase our odds of that losing benefits us in the long run. 

Like all of those franchise QBs I listed in my earlier post above? Gotcha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SOJA said:

This is a strawman argument 

We have nothing to compete for this year, we're all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and even if we did make it we're not nearly good enough to compete for a Superbowl. 

If you want to get back to 2015 step one would be to get an actual franchise QB, and in order to increase our odds of that losing benefits us in the long run. 

You are mostly right.  But I can't help but think of the year before.  We went on a winning streak at the end of 2014 season.  Still finished 7-8-1 and made the playoffs thru a fluke.  But the winning play/attitude we developed carried over into the next season. Watching the NFL over the last 40 years or so has convinced that developing the confidence that you can win games, especially in crunch time, is more important than getting the 5th pick in the draft vs the 10th or 11th pick.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

You are mostly right.  But I can't help but think of the year before.  We went on a winning streak at the end of 2014 season.  Still finished 7-8-1 and made the playoffs thru a fluke.  But the winning play/attitude we developed carried over into the next season. Watching the NFL over the last 40 years or so has convinced that developing the confidence that you can win games, especially in crunch time, is more important than getting the 5th pick in the draft vs the 10th or 11th pick.  

Well we are fuged this year, in that case. We lost most of those.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

You are mostly right.  But I can't help but think of the year before.  We went on a winning streak at the end of 2014 season.  Still finished 7-8-1 and made the playoffs thru a fluke.  But the winning play/attitude we developed carried over into the next season. Watching the NFL over the last 40 years or so has convinced that developing the confidence that you can win games, especially in crunch time, is more important than getting the 5th pick in the draft vs the 10th or 11th pick.  

It would be an amazing overachievement for the team to finish 7-9 or 8-8 and I wouldn’t be furious if that happened. It would have meant a lot went right at the end of the season. But with the playoffs very unlikely and the QB position very much in flux, I’d rather see the team have as high of a pick as possible and move forward with the new era. The Panthers are EXCELLENT at being mediocre. So maybe it’s time to try being bad to be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...