• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers wire synopsis of top prospects

raleigh-panther

49 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

Leatherwood and Sewell are both there. Granted, it would've been a much more helpful list with 2nd and 3rd round OTs discussed.

Sewell is fine if our QBs go 1-2 and somehow we leapfrog Cincy, but 2nd round tackles aren’t what we want. If we are picking say 35-37, you are likely picking the best C/G (even if not first, just as good) or you’re grabbing a reach at tackle, who if as good as the IOL would be gone way before. Kind of like Little. We have Moton (please extend) and Paradis for a year (playing better). A great C/G is a huge need and like 2015, a great interior can build a great OL as long as you don’t have a dolt of an OC.

We aren’t good enough to keep reaching when we can get the best prospects with an early 2nd.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

"Lance has a unique blend of size, arm strength, mobility, and accuracy..."

"Lance has all the tools in the world to become a top dual-threat quarterback in the NFL with his cannon of an arm and exceptional athleticism to fit into any scheme."

And that is why I want Lance! 

And it's exactly why I don't want him.

"Dual Threat" QB's have a much shorter shelf life in the NFL than the traditional "Run only when chased" QB.  His completion percentage is barely 60% for his career in the lower division of college football, so the "accuracy" claims are super overblown.  In doing some research on QB's moving from college to the NFL, it shows very clearly that completion percentage drops in the NFL. 

Do we want a career 56-58% passer (projected NFL), quirky mechanics and a short shelf life as our franchise guy?  No thanks.  

13 minutes ago, BrianS said:

"Dual Threat" QB's have a much shorter shelf life in the NFL than the traditional "Run only when chased" QB.  His completion percentage is barely 60% for his career in the lower division of college football, so the "accuracy" claims are super overblown.  In doing some research on QB's moving from college to the NFL, it shows very clearly that completion percentage drops in the NFL. 

Do we want a career 56-58% passer (projected NFL), quirky mechanics and a short shelf life as our franchise guy?  No thanks.  

I’ve seen a couple of other people mention Lance’s low accuracy as well. However in his 2019 season (his only full season), he had a completion % of 66.9%. I might be missing something here but where did you get the “barely 60%” from?

It’s as if the Panther should’ve started looking for Gross’ draft replacement a year before he retired 7 years ago.

Must take some serious brain action to figure that out.

Oh wait there was Little 5 years later and a destroyed franchise qb Lol. Well done.

16 minutes ago, Martin said:

I’ve seen a couple of other people mention Lance’s low accuracy as well. However in his 2019 season (his only full season), he had a completion % of 66.9%. I might be missing something here but where did you get the “barely 60%” from?

The issue of his accuracy is in the bulk data questions. When you run the ball SO MUCH, completing passes should be easier. In the playoffs last season Lance ran the ball more than he threw it. In only like 4 games last year out of 16 or 17 did he make it to 200 passing yards. He was never really asked to just put the team on his back in a back and forth shootout and win it via passing. 

In the biggest games of the year they wanted him to run more than throw. National Chanpionship stage and we only got to see 9 or 10 total passes from him but we saw 30 or so runs. It’s hard to grade them in situations like this. When teams know you’re passing, how do you look? When it’s a surprise it’s a lot easier to throw. 

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Link to a scout saying this is a strong ot class.   Because that is simply not true.  

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-preseason-offensive-tackle-rankings

The 2020 NFL Draft contained what was easily the top tackle class we’ve seen in our six years of grading college football at PFF. Now, 2021 looks like another banner year — and boy does the NFL need it. There are already four tackles we feel comfortable calling first-rounders and a handful more that could play their way into the mix when all is said and done.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/articles/2020/5/9/previewing-the-2021-ot-class

The 2020 OT class was special, seeing six players selected in round 1. Dare I say, that the upcoming class for 2021 has the potential to be even better.

5 minutes ago, Varking said:

The issue of his accuracy is in the bulk data questions. When you run the ball SO MUCH, completing passes should be easier. In the playoffs last season Lance ran the ball more than he threw it. In only like 4 games last year out of 16 or 17 did he make it to 200 passing yards. He was never really asked to just put the team on his back in a back and forth shootout and win it via passing. 

In the biggest games of the year they wanted him to run more than throw. National Chanpionship stage and we only got to see 9 or 10 total passes from him but we saw 30 or so runs. It’s hard to grade them in situations like this. When teams know you’re passing, how do you look? When it’s a surprise it’s a lot easier to throw. 

That makes more sense. I’ve just seen people throw around numbers that are flat out wrong (as low as 45%). I haven’t seen him play so I appreciate your thoughts on his play. On the other hand wasn’t this the same critic Herbert had last year?

4 minutes ago, Martin said:

That makes more sense. I’ve just seen people throw around numbers that are flat out wrong (as low as 45%). I haven’t seen him play so I appreciate your thoughts on his play. On the other hand wasn’t this the same critic Herbert had last year?

The critique on Herbert was odd. He was repeatedly dragged for not being a leader. Being too quiet. Men won’t follow him. He always had enough wheels to be mobile and he has a rocket for an arm and can make all the throws. 

I'd rather read a synopsis by chuck than anything by Tim Weaver.

Chuck is crazy enough to be right once or twice if he doesn't get ejected for using a racial slur first. Tim was terrible doing The Falcons Wire and is just as bad writing The Panthers Wire.

44 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

In a deep and talented field where in other years they would likely go 1st round, yes they are. Especially when we have zero signed to contracts after this year.

Tackles get over drafted. Go look at a bad tackle year like 2019. Guys like McCoy and Jenkins and Risner go after Dillard and Little and they are much better OL. 2021 is not like 2020 which was a deep T class. That’s when would have been 1st rounders can drop. When the T class isn’t deep you get teaching and Ts get reached for more than C/Gs, almost like QBs.

We have Paradis signed in 2021 and no one else. We can franchise or extend Moton and we’ve got nothing long term on the interior. Again, you’ll have top C/Gs getting pushed down more than 2nd level Ts and I think people get too hung up on finding a tackle rather than worrying about getting the best OL and you get a Greg Little instead of an Erik McCoy. I’d rather have a Creed Humphrey than a Sam Cosmi. Maybe Cosmi turns out well, but we can’t waste another good pick on maybe. If we extend Moton, we need to start pairing him with a solid rest of the OL. If Paradis continues to get further from his 2019 awfulness, take Humphrey and one more G with our 3, 4, 5 or 5 comp and maybe we have 4 of 5 spots set for a bit and use the 2022 1st pick on a LT or whatever else we need.

We have to keep drafting BPA, which unless it was a great tackle class (it isn’t) Is likely IOL. Reaching in the 2018/2019 drafts is what created all the holes we have started to fill with a better 2020 draft.

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Devil’s advocate.    Would you take Kyler Murray?

I would 

not all coaches run their QBs into the ground as did Rivera 

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Ask the Chiefs (point being that some of the same stuff was said of Mahomes regarding the quirky mechanics, blah blah blah)! 

And I don't get the completion percentage argument. He only played one game this season. The season before that---the season that people are looking at--he was at a respectable 66.9%. Furthermore, his level of weapons weren't nearly as good as the 1A weapons of his peers!

Don't confuse can run with has to run? He also put up approximately 2800 yards without an interception! I think you're overselling his mobility and underselling his accuracy!

Archived