• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Log Jam @WR

GPantherfan

Curtis is such a versatile asset its hard to say let him walk.  Like CMC (just not as good) he can fill in at RB as well as WR and he enjoys the option of either.  Hard to pass on paying a guy big money for one position when he's able to play two positions very well.  I think Robby is just getting started and will have multiple 1k yard seasons to come, as well as DJ.  

We've never been this stacked at WR since Smith/Moose/Proehl....Do we give up that option of having that solid core for another 4-5 years?

We try and keep all three. Anderson has another year on his contract .    Hurney screwed us with fat contracts to Teddy , CMC, and others .  We cut players like Short to give us some cap room .  Right now I look to see what we could get for CMC to trade up in the draft and keep Davis who has done a great job . I like CMC , but Hurney did us no favors with that contract. He way overpaid for Teddy . We need a smart GM .  Teams like the Saints , Patriots , and Steelers are always in the hunt and somehow make it work .

I can see both staying with creative contracts. Low base next year with a nice bonus spread out over several years. We can obviously handle more salary base in 2022, so it can be done. 

Let's say we draft Lance at QB and let him develop (personally I would rather draft a OT or top CB) and pick a solid 2nd or 3rd round pick. We sign 2 or 3 FA's and at least 1 excels. We are a better team. 

I would see how 2021 plays out before deciding on Moore or Anderson. That also depends on OC Brady. Let's say Brady takes a HC job in 2022 and the new OC likes TEs and power running or what ever? I think we need 5 to 6 WR's for this offense to hum. Cooper is a 4th or 5th and Zylstra is still in the mix 5th or 6th. Just need 1 more and that could be Bayless on IR this year. Unless they think one of those guys can replace Samuel, I think we keep them all and find a way to sign Samuel. 

Maybe the money in 2021 Free Agency sucks because of the cap and Curtis takes a 1 or 2 year deal before cashing in? Anything is possible. 

Anderson's production was early on and it seems now that teams have tape on him in this offense, he's not been as dominant.  We need to re-sign Samuel, but only to a sensible deal.  Now that Hurney is gone, maybe Curtis takes a better deal in FA.  But between extending Anderson (one year left) and re-signing Samuel, the obvious answer to me is re-signing Samuel (a fair deal for both parties).

I don't see anybody breaking the bank for Curtis. He's good, but there are so many receivers available in the draft that I think it's going to depress their market value some, especially in a weird cap environment. Hopefully we can keep all three. You can call this a logjam if you want, but this offense basically only has four playmakers when CMC's healthy. That's not too many. If we keep Curtis then we keep draft picks available to build up the secondary and the offensive line. 

11 hours ago, top dawg said:

In my mind, Moore still hasn't proven to be a better route runner than Samuel. Samuel arguably gets better separation than Moore and Robby! That being said, he has played more like a role player, but I'm not sure that's only due to his skill set. Could be! Could be coaching! 

Maybe, but what I'm seeing is DJ beat top corners or double coverage fairly consistency while Samuel has been in the slot or even out of the backfield a ton which gives him much better matchups. Don't get me wrong, I really like Samuel too. But DJ is on the verge of breaking out as a legit top 5 WR in the entire league.

15 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I'm still amazed that we're struggling with Salary Cap space.

You look at this roster and think "where is the money going?!"

If this was a normal year we would have plenty of money under the cap.  Probably 30 -40 million without cutting anyone.  However COVID and no one really knows what the cap is going to be for 2021.  So we not really struggling with cap space, we are just in the same boat as everyone else.

17 hours ago, Mage said:

This.

Very good player.  But he's not that important.  We 100% should not re-sign him, and I don't expect that we will.  He's no DJ Moore.  And we gotta make sure we can re-sign him.

I might consider taking Samuel over Anderson, but Anderson is already signed for 2021.

Even without Samuel, we still got some good weapons for next year in Moore, Anderson, and CMC.  And that isn't even factoring potential rookies and free agents.  We'll be fine without him.  Well... our receiving options will be.  Depends on QB.

I agree we can't break the bank for Samuel and if some other team is going to give him WR2 money we have to let him walk although he has shown that he can be a very good player in the right system.

When does our cap hell end again?  We went through this with Gettleman getting us back in order after Hurney screwed us over....how many more years before we are in a decent position again?

2 hours ago, jackson113 said:

Samuels is only thriving because DJ and Robby are getting double coverage and number 1# corners. He would struggle without both of them drawing defenders.  I say trade or cut Samuels and don't overpay.

Neither trade or cut, let him walk and get the comp pick.

Archived