• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'd give Haskins a look this offseason.

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A mentor can instill professionallism. Can't instill physical gifts. Swap him with Grier, give him a chance. If he doesn't change, cut him. Worst case scenario is you lose a guy that was inactive all year long 

There is no real down side and tremendous possible upside.  I do not get the resistance.

And this kind of kid is the kind that Rhule turns around.  It is his MO---and this fan base has a first round QB that fits this description dumped into their laps, and they fight it! 

Me, you ask?  Just amazed. 

22 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

There is no real down side and tremendous possible upside.  I do not get the resistance.

And this kind of kid is the kind that Rhule turns around.  It is his MO---and this fan base has a first round QB that fits this description dumped into their laps, and they fight it! 

Most of us are resisting because we know how it is going to end. If we sign him, so be it but expect to hear about 70% of this board basically give the same "Told you so" that a lot of the "Teddy is a game manager" crowd was trying to give before the season started. I understand that sometimes throwing poo against the wall to see if it sticks seems enticing but you have to pick the specific poo you are throwing. This is a handful of diarrhea. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Most of us are resisting because we know how it is going to end. If we sign him, so be it but expect to hear about 70% of this board basically give the same "Told you so" that a lot of the "Teddy is a game manager" crowd was trying to give before the season started. I understand that sometimes throwing poo against the wall to see if it sticks seems enticing but you have to pick the specific poo you are throwing. This is a handful of diarrhea. 

You are probably right--my thing is to look into every opportunity.  The more I have been talking about this, the more I have been reading up on him.  This article about Fields actually compares the two Ohio St QBs.  And I question Haskins the QB, not the person, now.  He had limited experience in college (1 yr) and now his weaknesses are exploited--not sure he can correct them.

Now, transitioning to the 2020 edition of the Ohio State offense, the mesh concept has been completely eliminated due to Fields’ skill set being much more diverse than Haskins'. What’s evident is that there’s more progression based routes as well as allowing No. 1 to scan the field from side-to-side in full-field fashion. A lot of factors go into this, as the trust that the staff has with Fields seems to be a bit better and he has the mobility to make plays work even though the play call may not be correct.

Nobody was really arguing--one side was looking at the completeness of NFL scouting and roster building from the ground up, and the other side was focused on Haskins.  I get it--I like a good argument. 

I shared this in another thread----it talks about Haskins a lot, and compares him to Fields:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/justin-fields-different-ohio-state-qbs

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

23 year old kid that was the 15th pick in the draft at a position the Panthers desperately need and y'all are like nah, don't sign him we good with Will Grier.

Lol

You know what other team has a desperate need at the QB position? The one who benched him for Taylor Heinicke and then cut him lol.

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

You are probably right--my thing is to look into every opportunity.  The more I have been talking about this, the more I have been reading up on him.  This article about Fields actually compares the two Ohio St QBs.  And I question Haskins the QB, not the person, now.  He had limited experience in college (1 yr) and now his weaknesses are exploited--not sure he can correct them.

Now, transitioning to the 2020 edition of the Ohio State offense, the mesh concept has been completely eliminated due to Fields’ skill set being much more diverse than Haskins'. What’s evident is that there’s more progression based routes as well as allowing No. 1 to scan the field from side-to-side in full-field fashion. A lot of factors go into this, as the trust that the staff has with Fields seems to be a bit better and he has the mobility to make plays work even though the play call may not be correct.

Nobody was really arguing--one side was looking at the completeness of NFL scouting and roster building from the ground up, and the other side was focused on Haskins.  I get it--I like a good argument. 

I shared this in another thread----it talks about Haskins a lot, and compares him to Fields:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/justin-fields-different-ohio-state-qbs

Due diligence I am okay with. Signing is a completely waste of money.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I contend there is a downside, because I think it would cause us to give up on one of the QBs on our roster, or pass on another QB. Frankly, I'd rather see what Grier can do. He played terribly in one game and a fraction of a second for a demoralized, effectively coach-less team behind the franchise's worst O-Line it ever cobbled together. And we saw no pre-season action out of him at all this year.

We've had two seasons to look at Haskins, and he's struggled in both, been in two coaches' doghouses, and gotten released in less than 2 years after being a first round pick.

As Maya Angelou said, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

If it's truly a "bring him to training camp and give him a look," I'm fine with it.

But at this point, the downside is discarding either Grier or Walker before we've had a chance to find out what they could be.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:10 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

Yeah yeah, I know, he looked horrible. But he had no decent coaching. It's not like the Rivera regime were churning out good QBs. In fact, they are horrid at handling QBs.

I'd at least take a long look at him and a discussion or two.

you trolling as fug

2 hours ago, Captroop said:

But at this point, the downside is discarding either Grier or Walker before we've had a chance to find out what they could be.

I’m pretty sure the staff sees what they are everyday at practice. 

At this point, it’s time to search under other rocks.

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We could also take a look at Johnny Manziel.  He is going to try to make a comeback, and its low risk.  And he was a first round pick.  

How about The Golden Calf of Bristol at this point?  I mean he has high character and maybe, just maybe he just hasn't been put in the right system!

Archived