• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At 9, The Carolina Panthers Will Select

jfra78

33 minutes ago, Waldo said:

LB with the 9th pick would be like picking an OG there, its bad positional value. We have some serious needs, if this is the best guy on the board then trade back.

QB, LT or great CB or trade TF back. After that, get your 3rd LBer.

Agreed. With the QB's and CB's on the board, I would be willing to go there before Parsons. It isn't like I would be UPSET if we ended up plugging a hole in the defense for 5 years but the positional value aspect will be facepalm worthy. 

I do think Parsons is likely to go off the board before 9, however. 

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. With the QB's and CB's on the board, I would be willing to go there before Parsons. It isn't like I would be UPSET if we ended up plugging a hole in the defense for 5 years but the positional value aspect will be facepalm worthy. 

I do think Parsons is likely to go off the board before 9, however. 

I agree, I just hope it's someone else.

37 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

As long as Snow is the DC, I doubt Chinn will ever be a pure safety, rather a hybrid LB.  We are looking for a ILB and those guys linger around during the draft after the top couple guys get selected.  OLBs get scooped up like candy on Halloween, granted, but not ILBs.  Honestly we could get like the #4 or #5 ILB in round 3.

That is the kind of brain power we have been missing for years. I completely  agree.

Chinn has so much flexibility that he should roam and not be tied down yet he still has a LBer spot locked down during that process. For someone to take that spot, he would be moved to S or CB on that play. That's all I intended with that comment. Look at Simmons, they couldn't figure out where to put him because they had people at those spots where we were and are able to upgrade by putting Chinn in, even as a rookie.

Its still too early to tell on the 3 QBs - Fields, Wilson, Lance. A lot of tape and scouting on these 3 QBs to be done still (not by me) that will shift. The CFB season this year makes it difficult to evaluate Lance and Fields and maybe Wilson was the benefactor of an odd season.

One, if not two, will be there at 9. Very good possibility we still end up picking somewhere between 5-7 as well. 

Nobody, that I can recall, was wanting to trade up at week 17 to draft Mahomes.

If we are not sold on a QB then we have to go Parson or CB - Surtain/Farley. I always love drafting a "cant miss" prospect. Parsons is cant miss. 

I don't agree.

We need a QB. LBers are the RBs of the defense. Great to have but you aren't going to win a super bowl with one and no QB. 

We had Luke for 8 years and he was amazing. Last year he was still great but we saw how little of an impact he actually had on the overall defense. 

QB should be priorities 1,2, and 3. LB should be priority 6 or 7 behind OL, CB, and TE. 

8 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Agree, Chiefs got Willie Gay Jr in the 2nd round this year, we even got Chinn in the 2nd. Parsons would have a RB type of effect on the defense which certainly is nice but it'd be nice to allocate the high picks to more diverse positions.

7-10 might put them in position to draft the first corner off the board, if we're so obsessed with defense why not press for Farley or Surtain, have a good group of corners to match the skill players on offense?  Can still find a good coverage LB on day 2 or 3.

Totally agree, CB is easily one of the five most important positions (QB, OT, WR, DE, CB) in the sport with the way the game has evolved. We haven't spent a first round pick on a cornerback since Gamble. Gettleman found us a stud CB in round two but our braindead former GM let him walk so he could sign a linebacker instead and now we are left paying the consequences. If there isn't a QB we feel good about at 9, Farley is really intriguing to me. Great size, athleticism and ball-hawking ability. He's also new to the position and was more of an offensive player in high school. I have a feeling Rhule would love the opportunity to coach this kid up and tap into his enormous ceiling.

11 hours ago, jfra78 said:

We have spent top picks at QB too, thats nothing new

The only 2 QB's we picked in the first round were Collins, who had a long if pedestrian career and Cam, who was frikkin awesome. I admit that I'm in the get a QB this draft even if we have to reach a little camp.

12 hours ago, Tbe said:

Yep. BPA is important but you have to factor in positional value too.

I have no doubt this is how Tepper and Rhule are approaching it.

Yep, as Tepper said and anyone with a brain that follows football knows paraphrasing from Tepper ‘ QB is the most important position on the field.  The goal is Superbowls and you have to have that guy to get you there or you are evaluating and reevaluating every year.

It is going to be a QB, either in first or second RD.  

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

And I think drafting a QB in year 2 was part of the grand scheme/big plan.  Last year, we addressed the defense in the draft--we now have a core--but we have a few holes (MLB, CB, S) yet to fill. However, I think the plan is to take the QB in round 1 and build the OL and TE around him.  We extended CMC before we needed to and we did not address Moton and Samuel--that is odd, is it not?  Just a hunch.  However, if you have Fields, you need linemen that can move laterally; he moves the pocket a lot.  If you draft Lance, he can run the option etc.  Wilson needs a pocket--linemen that can anchor.  We have 2 starting linemen on 1-year deals and we have a RT with no contract for 2021. We do not have a TE yet--do we need a blocker who can pass block; a pass catcher only; an Hback, etc. ?  It just seems that this is the play this year.

I see your points and understand the risk.

Good insight. Right now we have Moton (tagged if necessary) and Paradis (who wasn't half bad this season), and that's it. A round 2 LT, and a 3rd or 4th round C/G would be my vote. We do have the luxury of having a QB that, by all accounts, is smart and a great guy to mentor our new QB. plug the rest of our holes on D with FAs and hope that a decent TE falls to us somehow. Easy peasy, lol.

6 hours ago, pantherj said:

We'll be picking in the CB sweet spot in this draft, and we don't have a #1CB. That should tell you that CB is a highly likely pick if Lance looks like a bust, and we can't find a trade partner. Caleb Farley could be the pick.

I could live with that, if our QB isn't there or we plan to trade back up into the first for a guy like Jones later. I was impressed with what I saw in Pride, especially for a 4th round rookie, and I'm not ready to write Jackson off as a bust. He has been pretty good IF he's healthy. Adding a legit, lock-down CB would shore up our secondary and keep us from spending big money on a FA.

Archived