• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Mahomes effect on drafting

AU-panther

Alex Smith was 32 when they drafted Mahomes. In his best year to that point he'd thrown 23 touchdowns. He had never borken 4,000 yards. He broke 3,500 for the first time that year--he threw for 3,502. 

Cousins just threw for 4,200 yards and 35 touchdowns. 

Those dudes are/were in different places. Alex Smith just wasn't very good. The Vikings are not moving up to get anyone this year. Nobody's buying more lottery tickets because one just hit big. Plenty of others haven't, and nobody wants to throw a bunch of resources at a chance at Trubisky when they've already got a good starter. 

1 hour ago, w280sax said:

Why was he not considered the consensus top pick that year.  Did the experts think he was just good in the Texas tech system...was he inconsistent...something to do with his attributes?

I didn't really know much about him at the time.

Coaches and Scouts were concerned about his decision making skills. To be fair Mahomes makes the riskiest throws in the NFL. However, he has the talent for it. 

1 hour ago, philit99 said:

However, if you can get the right pieces before then get a great QB, you are set. The panthers have great offensive weapons, we need a good catching TE, and rework the entire O-line, especially if we do not retain Moton.

Did you catch the Orange Bowl? Both RBs and his #1 WR opted out. He still played very well.

8 minutes ago, Mvp2014 said:

Apparently tyreek hill thought he sucked and the organization poo the bed when he first showed up year one.  Drive to get better and a good chip on the shoulder can do wonders.  

Yeah this is big. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don’t have the desire to be great there’s only so far it can get you. It’s why I like Lance a whole lot and why I can see him becoming a really great qb in the nfl. He has a huge chip on his shoulder because he was told by d1 schools he should play defense. You keep hearing this word “doubt” being brought up by him. 

There’s also been some reports out from scouts saying the same word gets brought up by his teammates over and over again to describe him, empathetic. Some people might not understand how that relates to football but the best leaders are empathetic. Teammates gravitate towards you.  It also allows you to be coachable. He has the skill set, arm talent, smarts and athletic ability.

not saying the other prospects do not have this because I think they do. Wilson’s teammates love him. But I’ll always feel like Lance has the potential more than most of the others to become a superstar if he goes to the right place. I think our staff is going to really like him.

also a lot of people don’t talk about this but Mahomes was drafted by the tigers out of high school. He threw a 96 mph fastball as a junior in high school. His dad was in the major leagues for 10 years as a relief pitcher. The arm talent is in the family. 

I don’t think there are any prospects in this draft who have this arm talent. Lance and Wilson have cannons but it’s not as natural as Mahomes imo.

KC had a good playoff team and great coaching. They also had a great QB for Malhomes to learn form in year 1 while he sat and waited. They traded Smith for a second(i think) and where able to reclaim so draft capital to off-set the Malhomes trade.

In other words, he was drafted into the best possible team(Maybe Pats with Bill could have been better). This is a outlier for QB discussion.  

Panthers dont have the team or coaches to pull this off. Need around 25 players including QB and coach got one weird year of EXP after being at Baylor for 3 years. 

They can copy cat all they want but they don’t have Andy Reid.

Quarterbacks careers live and die by who they are drafted by.

Patrick Mahomes becomes David Carr on another team. Brett Favre would have been forgotten if he would have stayed in Atlanta back in the day.

so copy all you want but we see poor Tua down in Miami right now.

I don’t want to copy that!

Archived