• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Mahomes effect on drafting

AU-panther

In another thread we were talking about all of the teams that could potentially draft a QB and I said you had to include the Vikings and the response I got was they have Kirk Cousins.

I doubt it will happen but the same thing could have been said about the KC Chiefs when drafting Mahomes.

The NFL is notorious about being a copy cat league.  I think what they did with Mahomes will have an influence on other teams and future drafts. 

This idea of building a great team around an average QB might not be as prevalent going forward.  Teams might be willing to chase a franchise QB in the draft a bit more now, which will probably drive up the price of QBs in the draft in regards to how high they get drafted and how much to trade up.

I fully expect QBs to go often and early this draft, everyone wants to find their Mahomes.

9 minutes ago, philit99 said:

You know Mahomes threw for 734 yards in one game in college right? None of the current group of QB’s can say that. Mahomes was a beast.

Why was he not considered the consensus top pick that year.  Did the experts think he was just good in the Texas tech system...was he inconsistent...something to do with his attributes?

I didn't really know much about him at the time.

8 minutes ago, w280sax said:

Why was he not considered the consensus top pick that year.  Did the experts think he was just good in the Texas tech system...was he inconsistent...something to do with his attributes?

Oh make no mistake, Andy knew about him. They traded the 27th pick to come up and get him at 10. The issue with talent is always subjective. Who did they play, well they played less talented programs. If someone throws for 700+ yards he is that damn good. Sam Howell is the next deep shot artist and he will be drafted next year. Lance really seems to have arm strength and accuracy this year. Cant with of them be Mahomes, maybe in time, but you have to have talent around you.

4 minutes ago, w280sax said:

Experts thought that he was a system QB who had funky mechanic and gambled on throws. i.e. "yeah he made that throw across his body rolling to his right against Baylor, but he doesn't complete that in the NFL".

Bit like how Rodgers dropped years ago because he played for Jeff Tedford (he coached Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller who all flopped in the NFL).

Obviously if you watched Mahomes play in College you realised that a) he had a ridiculous grasp of the offence and what was and wasn't possible (innate or learned I'm not sure) and b) his arm talent was unreal - he COULD complete those throws in the NFL.

1 minute ago, philit99 said:

Oh make no mistake, Andy knew about him. They traded the 27th pick to come up and get him at 10. The issue with talent is always subjective. Who did they play, well they played less talented programs. If someone throws for 700+ yards he is that damn good. Sam Howell is the next deep shot artist and he will be drafted next year. Lance really seems to have arm strength and accuracy this year.

LOL for a guy that acts like he knows a lot about CFB you sure forgot to mention OU QB Spencer Rattler. He's basically a Mahomes clone when it comes to arm strength and a flip of the wrist. 

2 minutes ago, philit99 said:

Oh make no mistake, Andy knew about him. They traded the 27th pick to come up and get him at 10. The issue with talent is always subjective. Who did they play, well they played less talented programs. If someone throws for 700+ yards he is that damn good. Sam Howell is the next deep shot artist and he will be drafted next year. Lance really seems to have arm strength and accuracy this year.

but they were a playoff team the year before, they could have easily built around the QB they had.

My point is other teams might try to follow the same blueprint, teams might be less likely to settle for what they have.

Just now, nctarheelreincarnated said:

LOL for a guy that acts like he knows a lot about CFB you sure forgot to mention OU QB Spencer Rattler. He's basically a Mahomes clone when it comes to arm strength and a flip of the wrist. 

I didn’t forget him he has tremendous talent. I seen lots of tape on him. Here is the thing, I am not the QB Whisper, Andy Reid is a QB whisper. What NFL team could draft Rattler and use that playbook to elevate him? -> Seattle would be perfect for him.

4 minutes ago, philit99 said:

He was in Kingsbury's system which has tailored QB's to put up those numbers. So did the Big 12 in that time frame, when they played zero defense. But, that has changed completely. Also, Reid came out and said he didn't even expect Mahomes to be this good. 

Just now, AU-panther said:

but they were a playoff team the year before, they could have easily built around the QB they had.

My point is other teams might try to follow the same blueprint, teams might be less likely to settle for what they have.

They'd been building around Smith for years and it was clear that Smith wasn't taking them anywhere without absolute perfection around him. Mahomes took the team, as it was, to the next level and beyond. The remaining additions like Spagnuolo, Clark, etc just made them that much more well-rounded.

Archived