• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback Schools

Varking

8 minutes ago, Varking said:

It’s a knock on not to me. He was awful in that final game as a passer. 

Awful? He was constantly pressured and barely had receivers open. I watched that game too. That was not on hurts. The eagles were just atrocious on offense including the play calling

10 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Ironically, if you look for schools with multiple (more than one) starting QB, current Panther Teddy two gloves is one of them.

Oklahoma - Baker, Hurts, Murray

California - Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff

Louisville - Teddy, Lamar Jackson 

Purdue - Drew Brees, Drew Lock

Drew Lock went to Missouri.

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Two of the last three #2 overall picks went to Oklahoma and they're both looking pretty good. Then they had one go in the 2nd last year and he showed some promise too. Rattler looks to have the makings of a future 1st rounder too. If there's a "QB school" right now it's OU.

One weird thing is that of all 3 of the QBs you just mentioned that are already in the NFL, none of them started at Oklahoma.  All 3 of them transferred in.  Baker from Texas Tech, Kyler from Texas A&M and Jalen from Alabama.

To me the best QB school for a long time was U of Michigan.  For several decades if you went to U of M, you were pretty much going to get drafted and be on an NFL roster.  And on top of that tradition and recruiting niche, they could also boast that one of their QBs was one of the hottest names in football - Tom Brady.  So what do they do with this level of success where top pro style QBs just jump at the chance to attend your school?  They hired Rich Rodriguez who ran off Ryan Mallett and ruined everything.  To this day I consider Rich Rod one of the dumbest hires in college football history.

Now we're going down that slippery slope of attributing TOO much to the QB position. Yes, it's the most important position in football, but if you don't surround that QB with a quality roster you're still going nowhere. Just look at the Houston Texans this year. Watson had over 4800 passing yards with 33 passing TDs vs. 7 INTs as well as another nearly 450 yards and 3 TDs running. 

1 hour ago, Varking said:

Two ugly losses in their first round playoffs where he was abused as a passer? Copy that!

There's no argument that Jackson's lack of postseason success will continue to be a question until he wins, and there's a good chance Baltimore loses this weekend as well.

But even a guy as great as PeytonManning took a couple of years to learn to win in postseason

Payton Manning also lost his first three playoff games. He had a reputation as a guy who couldn't win "the big game" until he did. I'm not saying that Jackson is Manning, he's not.

Jackson's made the playoffs each year, last year as the number one seed, and has an NFL MVP to his name. I think it's reasonable to say that's working out pretty well.

Will it work out for Lance? I don't even pretend to know.

11 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Ironically, if you look for schools with multiple (more than one) starting QB, current Panther Teddy two gloves is one of them.

Oklahoma - Baker, Hurts, Murray

California - Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff

Louisville - Teddy, Lamar Jackson 

Purdue - Drew Brees, Drew Lock

NCSU: Rivers & Wilson

Archived