• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

According to this analytics chart, these are the top drafting teams of the last 10 years

blueandblackattack

30 minutes ago, Zod said:

Panthers bottom 6 in the league which makes no sense because we had the best college talent evaluator in a generation.

Bottom 6 in what? Draft capital...?  I don't think you're interpreting the data correctly...and based on how many people pied you, it looks like data illiteracy runs pretty rampant on these boards.

14 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Bottom 6 in what? Draft capital...?  I don't think you're interpreting the data correctly...and based on how many people pied you, it looks like data illiteracy runs pretty rampant on these boards.

LOL

Nobody reads any of it. I can only assume he looked a the very first chart which was the ranking of teams who had the highest capital as you said. SO the teams who sucked the most and had the highest picks combined with many picks were at the top.

9 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

We're losing partially because Gettleman left the cupped so bare. He always preached about drafting for the future not the present, and now we live in his shitty future.

The 2017 draft was actually our best draft in years, arguably one of our best ever.

And no, once GMs are gone, they no longer take blame or credit for future rosters. This notion that you can still attribute stuff to guys that have been going for years is just stupid.

Just now, top dawg said:

Really not that great considering never back-to-back winning seasons! 

That's pretty incredible, by the way...

If those are my only two choices, I'll take that period over the near constant mediocrity of the rest.

Happily though, we have some options to break that streak in the future.

11 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

We're losing partially because Gettleman left the cupped so bare. He always preached about drafting for the future not the present, and now we live in his shitty future.

Gettleman rode Hurney era players to the super bowl and then immediately began disassembling the roster like he was worried it would go back without his stamp on it

56 minutes ago, blueandblackattack said:

Given that in the "Peters is out - GM search down to 3 candidates" post there seemed to be a lot of speculation as to how bad teams have drafted that these candidates are coming from.

I mostly assumed the same thing about the Seahawks and Patriots, but after a quick Google search to see if anyones crunched the data, I found a reliable source:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

They break it down pretty seamlessly for each chart. Starting off with who had the best draft capital (using the Chase Stewart draft value chart), then by draft returns (which teams have picked the best players consistently, regardless of draft position), and finally combining both to see which teams make the most out of each pick.

I recommend checking it out for yourself.

But for the TL;DR crowd:

Seahawks - Fitterer - 1ST in draft efficiency in the last 10 years, 10TH in the last 5

Patriots - Ossenfort - 8TH in draft efficiency the last 10 years, 15TH in the last 5

Chiefs - Poles - 7TH in draft efficiency the last 10 years, 1ST in the last 5

49ers - Peters - 23RD in draft efficiency the last 10 years, 18TH in the last 5 (just one spot above the Panthers)

Based on the data alone, looks like we should be going after Ryan Poles 1st, Fitterer 2nd and Ossenfort 3rd.

But who knows.

Interesting stuff. Unfortunate that the content went over the heads of most.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You flipped which teams Ossenfort  and Fitterer worked for.

One other consideration: Peters has only been with the 49ers for about 4 years.

That's true, so the ranking for the last 5 years is relative enough, so Peter's acumen would be 18th best if he takes the credit as well as the lumps.

56 minutes ago, Zod said:

Panthers bottom 6 in the league which makes no sense because we had the best college talent evaluator in a generation.

Well one thing you actually just can’t deny and is 100% undisputed fact is that Smarty Hurney is the best GM to ever get hired by the same organization twice. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The 2017 draft was actually our best draft in years, arguably one of our best ever.

And no, once GMs are gone, they no longer take blame or credit for future rosters. This notion that you can still attribute stuff to guys that have been going for years is just stupid.

They may not "take credit" for future personnel moves, but they can certainly be blamed for horrific contracts that cash-strap the franchise for years, especially when it's regarding bad players. That's why the smart owner recognizes that coaches/execs need a period of transition---a putting of their work within context---when setting expectations and evaluating the new guy that they hired.

Archived