• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting Mock from The Draft Network

kungfoodude

I'm not going to site here and pretend that I'm a scout or I can evaluate QBs well enough to make accurate projections of how they will develop in the NFL.  We typically aren't privy to All-22 film that's required to assess decision making nor do we get to see how well a prospect performs in interviews.

That being said, I like what I see on Trey Lance's tape.  If he's available at 8, I can't say I wouldn't be at least a bit bummed out were we to trade back.  But considering that our front office is filled with professionals that are scouts and do have access to the information I noted above, we Huddlers are lacking, I'd have to defer to them.  I am not opposed to trading back if we don't think a franchise QB is available at our 8th overall pick if the return is good.

1 minute ago, woahfraze said:

I'm not going to site here and pretend that I'm a scout or I can evaluate QBs well enough to make accurate projections of how they will develop in the NFL.  We typically aren't privy to All-22 film that's required to assess decision making nor do we get to see how well a prospect performs in interviews.

That being said, I like what I see on Trey Lance's tape.  If he's available at 8, I can't say I wouldn't be at least a bit bummed out were we to trade back.  But considering that our front office is filled with professionals that are scouts and do have access to the information I noted above, we Huddlers are lacking, I'd have to defer to them.  I am not opposed to trading back if we don't think a franchise QB is available at our 8th overall pick if the return is good.

I may be nervous if we make a move like this mock is suggesting but I will at least give the early benefit of the doubt to the new brain trust in our front office to not get too upset about it. The problem with seeing Hurney or Gettleman make such a move is that it was likely to fail based on their decisions we saw here. 

I'll let the new guy make a bunch of fug ups(or hopefully not) before I start getting really bitchy about it. 

2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I'm just confused at the logic. There is a mobile prototypical QB with great measurables and a modern-style (though there are weaknesses) in Lance sitting at 8. 

Why would we trade down 12 spots in order to load up on future draft picks to then leverage next year in order to move up for a QB?

Seems like an odd angle to take that he is essentially saying that Lance is not "the guy" for Carolina at 8.

Would make more sense to draft Lance and have him learn behind Teddy for 2021, then making that move a year later and with Teddy holding down our cap for '22.

Because it's a massive gamble on a guy with 1 year of starting experience at a piss poor level?

12 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Interestingly enough, both Jeremiah and Zierlein like Slater more than Sewell, which blew my mind. 

I LOVE Slater for us at 8. More so, DJ and Zierlein are two of the most respected analysts out there, so it's not just some rando trying to get click bait with an absurd take. It will be interesting to see how the OT1 race goes leading up to the draft. 

Slater?  Any relationship to the HOFer Jackie Slater?  

If he is he's pedigree. 

Archived