• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

High draft pick..take advantage of it

Jmac

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're going to see some moves made that helps out cap considerably. Short is as good as gone. If we made a move for Watson, so would Teddy. It wouldn't shock me if Paradise is sent packing. I'm not sure if Shaq will be here beyond next year. If he is, I expect his contract to get renegotiated. 

Why in the world would Teddy do anything but say, "I'm gonna sit here and make my $20+ million on the bench while you pay Watson even more"? 

No one is going to be foolish enough to trade for Watson with that contract. Right now Watson and the Texans are floating this out there to see if anyone is crazy enough to make a massive trade AND pay Watson the money. Someone might, but most likely it will be announced before the season that Watson and the Texans have made up and worked out a more cap-friendly deal spread over multiple years. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

is that something you want to count on, though?

I just can't get behind this kind of move given where we are as a team right now.

If we were further along maybe, but I just don't see this as the right time.

I would trade the three first rounders, were it my personal decision. You just don't get many opportunities to get player of his caliber that early in their career. You may be technically talking about the guy who is the best player in franchise history and saying that ISN'T a leap for once.

But it is a steep price to pay, if that were indeed the price.

10 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Why in the world would Teddy do anything but say, "I'm gonna sit here and make my $20+ million on the bench while you pay Watson even more"? 

No one is going to be foolish enough to trade for Watson with that contract. Right now Watson and the Texans are floating this out there to see if anyone is crazy enough to make a massive trade AND pay Watson the money. Someone might, but most likely it will be announced before the season that Watson and the Texans have made up and worked out a more cap-friendly deal spread over multiple years. 

If you trade for Watson, you cut Teddy as a post-June 1st designation. You have two per year. You use them in Teddy and Short.

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

But you have 3 more picks in the first to compensate.

Well, two more rolls of the dice. Remember your first roll in a trade scenario would come up Deshaun Watson vs. whichever QB is available.

You can't make moves based on the potential for injury, IMO. Some of that isn't controllable. As for the scenario of needing to build out the OL to protect him(or a rookie). That also falls back to scheme improvements(this was one of our better years in recent memory in allowing sacks and pressures) and front office improvements. You have to hope that our current front office actually gives a poo about the OL and knows what they are doing unlike the last two GM's.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you trade for Watson, you cut Teddy as a post-June 1st designation. You have two per year. You use them in Teddy and Short.

Correct. I could see a scenario in which we trade Teddy next season and give away a draft pick for the other team to take his salary. It would be a big help to our cap if we did draft or sign a QB and Teddy wasn't in the plans for 2021. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Would save us what, a measley $2 million that year? Still looking at a huge amount of dead money.

Much wiser to grab a first round QB at rookie deal money (and guarantees) and have Teddy on hand for mentoring and as a back-up (albeit a highly priced one). 

Otherwise with Watson we end up fielding him, PJ Walker, JJ Jansen and a half decent Arena league team for the money we have left. Nah, man, let someone else play that game.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Would save us what, a measley $2 million that year? Still looking at a huge amount of dead money.

Much wiser to grab a first round QB at rookie deal money (and guarantees) and have Teddy on hand for mentoring and as a back-up (albeit a highly priced one). 

Otherwise with Watson we end up fielding him, PJ Walker, JJ Jansen and a half decent Arena league team for the money we have left. Nah, man, let someone else play that game.

If Watson was on a rookie deal or if Hurney had not gone crazy with CMC sure. But Watson is only a dream now because of our cap situation. 

• Pie 1

Two ways I want to take advantage of this high pick.  

A. Take bpa at 8.  Whether it's Parsons, Farley, Surtain or a wild card QB like Lance. 

B.  Trade down adding picks for the future and a more bountiful draft. 

I do not want to use it and a kings ransom of future picks or current players to add one player.