• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QBs could go even higher than expected in the draft

NAS

Confirms my fears that we will need to trade up just to ensure a QB falls to us.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-draft-q-bs-could-go-even-higher-than-expected-with-all-the-teams-that-need-one-191058966.html

“With all the forecastable changes at the position, there’s an argument to be made that half of the NFL’s teams might be seeking a “franchise quarterback.”

A fair share of veteran quarterbacks will fill some of those spots, but it’s becoming increasingly clear that multiple rookies will make up a notable piece of that picture. Expect the top of the 2021 draft to be quite QB heavy as teams jockey to land their preferred choice. 

Scenario where five quarterbacks land in the top half of the draft (possibly even in the top 10) wouldn’t be a stretch. So if you want to snag one, you had better already be picking high — or be prepared to pay a premium to land in that range.”

Lance could end up one of the best quarterbacks in this class. He has tremendous ability, difficult as his projection might be. The team drafting Lance, however, almost certainly must buttress having a veteran option in place to start Week 1 with the assumption that Lance will need time to develop before he’s ready to start.”

We're going to turn the NFL on its head on draft night. We're just gonna submit a pick for the QB we want before we're actually on the clock. Everyone above us is gonna be so shook by the "winning culture" train coming through that they're just not gonna make their picks until we get our guy at which point the draft will resume normally.

• Pie 3

I'm usually a fan of looking at history to predict the future, but this year seems different.

First of all its a really good class of QBs, easily better than most years and the there does seem to be more teams in the QB market.

There is a changing of the old guard, a lot of vet QBs that might get replaced soon.  Teams like Pittsburg, Detroit, and New England, even Atlanta, they could draft someone and let them sit for a few years. 

You always have a handful of bad teams looking for QBs but this year there are some good franchises who are looking who normally don't.

Also I think KC and Mahomes might be influencing some teams, maybe not building around an average QB is the best model.  Teams might be looking to catch lightning in a bottle.

• Pie 2

I was going to make a thread about this at some point but I will put it in here for now. Rivers has already retired, Brees may be right behind him, Brady could retire, Big Ben could retire, Aaron Rodgers could retire, etc, etc.

I highly doubt all those happen but if even a quarter of them do, that creates more QB needs in the league. I would argue there might be more QB spots open in the NFL(depending on retirements and offseason moves) than we have seen in a long time. That all leads to more reaching at QB in the draft.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I was going to make a thread about this at some point but I will put it in here for now. Rivers has already retired, Brees may be right behind him, Brady would retire, Big Ben could retire, Aaron Rodgers could retire, etc, etc.

I highly doubt all those happen but if even a quarter of them do, that creates more QB needs in the league. I would argue there might be more QB spots open in the NFL(depending on retirements and offseason moves) than we have seen in a long time. That all leads to more reaching at QB in the draft.

totally agree, and next years class by some accounts is weak.  A team like Atlanta, for example, might would prefer to draft a QB next year but this might year might be a better option based on draft position and QB availability.  

Just seems like a perfect storm this year.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

totally agree, and next years class by some accounts is weak.  A team like Atlanta, for example, might would prefer to draft a QB next year but this might year might be a better option based on draft position and QB availability.  

Just seems like a perfect storm this year.

Yeah, I am thinking the QB market is going to be bananas. It does make me wonder if there is a very slight chance we might be able to move Teddy.

I realize that is a huge logical leap but......maybe.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I am thinking the QB market is going to be bananas. It does make me wonder if there is a very slight chance we might be able to move Teddy.

I realize that is a huge logical leap but......maybe.

you trade a contract, not the player

17m for 2021, 20m for 2022, zero guaranteed?

maybe a team later in the first round that misses out on drafting a player?  Patriots? Colts? WFT?

I'm trying to be positive here 🙂

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

you trade a contract, not the player

17m for 2021, 20m for 2022, zero guaranteed?

maybe a team later in the first round that misses out on drafting a player?  Patriots? Colts? WFT?

I'm trying to be positive here 🙂

It would have to be a salary cap heavy team. It is possible....albeit not likely