• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting change in draft philosophy

Zod

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

No offense but if they are the standard bearer of mediocrity....what the fug are we?

There have only been 3-4 franchises as successful as they have been over the past decade.

They have done a mediocre job in recent years. We have been a dumpster fire of roster building. Without Wilson, they look like the current Panthers. Good Wrs, no oline and a D with positives. The QB is the difference. Just not impressed with emulating. People emulating the pats have ended up in failures all over the league for years.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

They have done a mediocre job in recent years. We have been a dumpster fire of roster building. Without Wilson, they look like the current Panthers. Good Wrs, no oline and a D with positives. The QB is the dirredwnce. Just not impressed with emulating. People emulating the pats have ended up in failures all over the league for years.

This is accurate.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

They have done a mediocre job in recent years. We have been a dumpster fire of roster building. Without Wilson, they look like the current Panthers. Good Wrs, no oline and a D with positives. The QB is the dirredwnce. Just not impressed with emulating. People emulating the pats have ended up in failures all over the league for years.

I mean, I will take their version of mediocre over ours. In fairness to them, there are no perfect rosters in the NFL. Even the Packers and Chiefs have some obvious warts on the roster. 

I don't disagree that having an elite QB definitely propels them into contending status but they are far from a talentless roster. 

I don't know that what they have planned is Seattle 2.0. I think the biggest things we will do that they do is have the same kind of organizational feel, it sounds like. Collaborative and a little more free thinking that perhaps the average NFL front office. I don't think that is a bad thing.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

I don't like putting numbers on when the talent falls off, but he's right.  Top 15 should be a day 1 starter (outside of QB), I don't feel the same way about pick 28.

I do like trading back moreso than trading up, or standing pat and taking the guy you could have gotten a little later...especially if we have a real talent evaluator at the helm...which we finally do.

I'll trust him until shown otherwise.

• Pie 2

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think we should assume it will be.

All of us have things we'd do differently than our boss if we were in charge.

Correct. You take the good from each spot that you have been and place that you have learned(keep in mind he was also employed by the Giants) and make it your own thing. 

And for those worried he just wants to make us a carbon copy of Seattle, the question was asked if he was going to start bringing over scouts from Seattle and he basically said, "I am going to work with the talent in this organization."

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

As to "we don't want Seattle 2.0"

It's worth noting that Pete has significant say in that building, and he's not a big O Line guy...especially with his secret weapon back there at QB...doesn't mean that's the way Scott sees it.

Technically he mentioned them as the #2 priority, so that should mean a lot.

• Pie 4

Just now, trueblade said:

Tepper specifically mentioned not making decisions by gut feeling when discussing the importance of process in his interview today.

Yeah, I noticed that too. He wants a very analytical approach to all the processes and not a bunch of firing from the hip kind of mentality.

I appreciate that.

• Pie 3