• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Back Scenarios

MilkyCastles

Just curious what everyone thinks of this. Assuming top 3 QB’s are gone, we’re sitting at 8 with Lance on the board. Someone like the Steelers put an offer to us- trade back for a future 1- first of all, do we do it. Second, who looks good mid to late first round. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely believe we should sit out FA this year, go for another solid draft, and in this scenario use both 1’s as ammo for the top QB next year. A couple guys I have my eye on with that scenario in mind:

Christian Barmore- Dude is an absolute beast and really reminds me of a less experienced Brown. He came on super strong towards the end of the season after recovering from a knee injury. Our D line would be studly with this addition 

Zaven Collins- An absolute enforcer on the second level. Really over sized for a LB, but covers sideline to sideline and is an exceptional cover man. Would be a great chess piece for our D as he can get after the QB and cover a TE with some skill. I’m obsessed with the idea of seeing him and Chinn on the field together  

Christian Darisaw- OK so bit of a stretch saying “late” round for this guy, good chance that he’s gone by 20, but if there’s a run on WR then who knows. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, MilkyCastles said:

Just curious what everyone thinks of this. Assuming top 3 QB’s are gone, we’re sitting at 8 with Lance on the board. Someone like the Steelers put an offer to us- trade back for a future 1- first of all, do we do it. Second, who looks good mid to late first round. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely believe we should sit out FA this year, go for another solid draft, and in this scenario use both 1’s as ammo for the top QB next year. A couple guys I have my eye on with that scenario in mind:

Christian Barmore- Dude is an absolute beast and really reminds me of a less experienced Brown. He came on super strong towards the end of the season after recovering from a knee injury. Our D line would be studly with this addition 

Zaven Collins- An absolute enforcer on the second level. Really over sized for a LB, but covers sideline to sideline and is an exceptional cover man. Would be a great chess piece for our D as he can get after the QB and cover a TE with some skill. I’m obsessed with the idea of seeing him and Chinn on the field together  

Christian Darisaw- OK so bit of a stretch saying “late” round for this guy, good chance that he’s gone by 20, but if there’s a run on WR then who knows. 

I’m all for trading back if Rhule in Co don’t feel Lance will be a franchise QB. 

We definitely need to hit on our next QB whether it’s this draft or the next.

• Pie 1

It would depend on our evaluation of Trey Lance IMO. If you think Lance is a franchise QB prospect, you draft him. If you don't, trading down and adding an additional #1 next year might be a good play because we're likely still going to need a QB in the '22 draft and two #1s would give us nice trade value to be able to offer to move up if need be.

If the big 4 are gone, I would.  Trust me, Lance will leapfrog Fields as QB #3 before the draft.  Fields runs too hot and cold.  Remember, going into this season it was Trevor, closely followed by Fields and a distant third was Lance.   Wilson pulled a Joe Burrow-type season (was really on nobody's radar last year) and has overtaken Fields, while Lance creeps up many big boards.  Actually, Daniel Jerimiah currently has us drafting Fields at #8 as QB #4 because he has Lance going to the Falcons.  *Note: A shoe will be thrown at the TV if the dirty birds draft my preferred QB!

Of the 4, I think Fields has the lowest ceiling.  He either has to figure out (or be taught) how to keep motivated or whatever it is that makes scratch your head because he obviously has some top-notch talent, but you only see it in patches.

• Pie 1

The Panthers will know the "second tier" QBs after the Senior Bowl.  I have to think they will be doing some bottom fishing this week.  Brady will be whispering and Rhule will be preaching.  They might say, "trade back and take Trask", for example. We have Bridgewater and he should improve with better OL play and maybe a TE and CMC back.  So there is a fall back plan--then if Trask (example) does not show much promise, you have extra picks and some cap room in 2022 to meet needs in free agency and package a deal to move up in 2022. 

Not what I want to happen, but it may be better than diving into the feeding frenzy and taking the 4th best QB in the top 10.

12 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Not what I want to happen, but it may be better than diving into the feeding frenzy and taking the 4th best QB in the top 10.

Yea I look at Rhules contract and see a guy who’s being given the opportunity to build a team from the ground up. So rather than feeling rushed into drafting a guy like Lance- who may very well turn out to be Lamar 2.0, he may also decide to trade back and target 2022 as the year that this team can compete for a 1-2 seed in the playoffs. Lance seems like the kind of pick that the Jags or Jets or Raiders would traditionally go for because their coaches are trying to force the issue in a tight window of time. Rhules contract is really set up to allow this team to evolve naturally. 

I just think when you look at our roster gaps relative to cap space, it would take something really special to make the leap next year. I mean we are absolutely bereft of talent on the o line, we need multiple players in the secondary, and obviously a playmaking QB, and those are just the “necessary” components- never mind TE, S, LB, DT, WR3, where we would all like to see upgrades. My vote, unpopular though it might be, would be to stock pile draft and salary capital so that 2022 can be year that we officially arrive.

Trading for DW would be sick, but it would also leave absolutely ZERO room for error for our new GM. He would have to hit on every draft pick (assuming we trade 3 1’s) and bargain FA for the next 3 years just to surround DW with enough talent to compete. 

I’ve got my eye on Liam Eichenberg and Jay Tufele. I’d trade back to late first, early second and nab them both, then follow that up with 3 interior linemen with the understanding that one of those would be the center after one more year of Paradis. That would mean we’d have Moton on the right and then 4 dudes that all came in together for Rhule’s first real offseason. 

• Pie 1

On 1/24/2021 at 8:22 AM, 45catfan said:

If the big 4 are gone, I would.  Trust me, Lance will leapfrog Fields as QB #3 before the draft.  Fields runs too hot and cold.  Remember, going into this season it was Trevor, closely followed by Fields and a distant third was Lance.   Wilson pulled a Joe Burrow-type season (was really on nobody's radar last year) and has overtaken Fields, while Lance creeps up many big boards.  Actually, Daniel Jerimiah currently has us drafting Fields at #8 as QB #4 because he has Lance going to the Falcons.  *Note: A shoe will be thrown at the TV if the dirty birds draft my preferred QB!

Of the 4, I think Fields has the lowest ceiling.  He either has to figure out (or be taught) how to keep motivated or whatever it is that makes scratch your head because he obviously has some top-notch talent, but you only see it in patches.

You must've not watched that Clemson game. Dude has the killer instinct that Teddy only dreams about. 

2 minutes ago, Panther Believer said:

You must've not watched that Clemson game. Dude has the killer instinct that Teddy only dreams about. 

I did, then I watched the 'Bama game.  Looked like two completely different players.  His inconsistency is very unnerving. 

If Lance is on the board I'm sprinting to the podium. But it's HIGHLY unlikely any of the top 4 QBs make it to 8 now. Lance is an absolute no brainer in that position he has talent off the charts and we still have Teddy to be a crash test dummy for a year while Lance develops. Next year we could use our first rounder on LT. Rounds 2-4 this year on CB and OG/C. 

If all 4 QBs are gone it's a much harder scenario. I take Slater or Sewell at 8 if both are there. If both are gone I agree the best move is to trade down and try to nab the VT OT

On 1/24/2021 at 8:22 AM, 45catfan said:

I agree with this assessment. Fans will have Fields ranked higher because of the helmet but Lance is going to have NFL scouts drooling with his potential. Everyone wants the next Pat Mahomes. 

On 1/25/2021 at 6:09 AM, Hoenheim said:

Traded down twice in round one ended up with several second rounders along with a mid round first 

Screenshot_20210125-060627.png

You fixed the o-line in a single draft! But no way is Slater available that late. He will likely be a top 10 pick