• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading Up to 3 or 5 - A Look Into the Potential Cost**

SetfreexX

I personally want Lance at 8, but have serious concerns about him being there. 

After seeing how aggressive we were and the overpay that our FO was willing to toss out for Stafford, I am now thinking Tepper wants "their QB" and will move up to 2 or 3 to do it. Won't cost as much as DW and we get a franchise signal caller while not losing as many assets. 

"Hoping" that a QB makes it to 8 doesn't seem like Tepper's MO currently and we probably won't be drafting this high for awhile.

2021 is our year to strike, and Tepper is about to whip out those brass marbles, IMO.

Edited by Soul Rebel
  • Beer 2

Future draft picks are usually valued one round lower according to the chart.  For example a 2022 1st is valued somewhat close to a current 1st.  Where in the 1st round is somewhat dependent on who you are trading with but for this example lets go to the middle, pick 16.

2021 1st (3rd overall) = 2200

2021 1st (8th overall) = 1400

2021 2nd (39th overall) = 510

2022 1st (16th overall) = 420

1400+510+420=2330

You have to expect some overpay going for a QB.  Also they might be more interested in future first than some combination of later picks this year.

So, 2021 1st, 2021 2nd,  and 2022 1st probably gets you in the ballpark of what it would take to trade up to 3 this year.  When you look at that you kind of realize why they were willing to give up the 8th this year to get Stafford.

Personally I would try to save next years 1st by trying to include a player.

Something like, 2021 1st, CMC, and 2022 2nd.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Future draft picks are usually valued one round lower according to the chart.  For example a 2022 1st is valued somewhat close to a current 1st.  Where in the 1st round is somewhat dependent on who you are trading with but for this example lets go to the middle, pick 16.

2021 1st (3rd overall) = 2200

2021 1st (8th overall) = 1400

2021 2nd (39th overall) = 510

2022 1st (16th overall) = 420

1400+510+420=2330

You have to expect some overpay going for a QB.  Also they might be more interested in future first than some combination of later picks this year.

So, 2021 1st, 2021 2nd,  and 2022 1st probably gets you in the ballpark of what it would take to trade up to 3 this year.  When you look at that you kind of realize why they were willing to give up the 8th this year to get Stafford.

Personally I would try to save next years 1st by trying to include a player.

Something like, 2021 1st, CMC, and 2022 2nd.

I def want to hold onto this year's 2nd. The ability to add a very, very good OT or IOL with that pick is crucial to build around Moton on that OL and protect that rookie QB.

Moving #8 (which ideally would be a QB selection), next year's 1st and 2nd would hopefully be enough.

Keeping CMC with a QB on a 5-yr rookie deal and losing Samuel is important. We probably find a cheaper WR3 in FA, but CMC is our slot WR. Especially with Bonnafon and Smith that can tote the rock 5-10 times a game. 

• Pie 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, SetfreexX said:

With pick 8, you'd have to assume Lawrence / Wilson or Fields go 1 and 2 based on early mocks / media commentary. 

So that means you'd need to get to MIA at 3, or CIN at 5. ATL is at #4 and could be in the market to draft an heir apparent to Ryan, but there's been no talk that has leaked yet, so let's assume for now their interest is elsewhere. 

Current Panther Draft picks (Provided by): http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/full_draft

1st - 8

2nd - 39

3rd - 73

4th - 104

5th - 135

6th - 169

7th - N/A

I will see if I can locate our comps, as I don't think they have been finalized yet**

At 3 or 5, you're likely looking at Fields / Wilson or Lance...

Pick Value (Provided by): https://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

#3 is worth 2,200 - Swap our 1st, and give up our 2, 39th overall (510), and 3, 73rd overall (225) = 2135

(Would likely see a day 3 added in there, or a future day 2 potentially)

#5 is worth 1,700 - Swap our first, and give up our 3, 73rd overall (225), and 4 (86) = 1,711 

Our pick at #8 is worth 1,400

I think it’s going to be more like a #1 next year to get to top 3 picks. Multiple suitors means $$$

Not much difference in Wilson or Fields and if we are talking battle tested I like Fields more.  Plus it keeps us from worrying about that shoulder surgery Wilson had.

I really like Fields....question is what keeps him from being a franchise guy?  He doesn’t have Cams amazing personality but otherwise he is extremely good and word is he is a perfectionist who lives for the game.

Edited by Shocker

In a trade up scenario give me Fields, has an NFL ready frame (Wilson is built similar to Teddy), has the big arm, and elite athleticism. Should allow for more offensive variety allowing pressure to be taken off of what is likely to be a below average OL next year with all the holes we have.