• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

First Round Quarterback Craziness

Mr. Scot

Quick note on Cam Newton, by the way...

On a recent podcast, Albert Breer was asked about where Newton might end up this season. He threw out one obvious option (Washington) but also mentioned the Saints as a possibility where he'd back up Jameis Winston.

Newton being a Saint could possibly...provoke some discussion on here.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

On a recent podcast, Albert Breer was asked about where Newton might end up this season. He threw out one obvious option (Washington) but also mentioned the Saints as a possibility where he'd back up Jameis Winston.

No discussion.  That would be a travesty.  I don't see it taysom hill does the same as cam would in that offense.  

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

No discussion.  That would be a travesty.  I don't see it taysom hill does the same as cam would in that offense.  

Part of me wonders if Sean Payton would do it just to piss the Panthers off.

I don't honestly believe he's that petty, but still...

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can think of 31, well 30, other scenarios first.  Cam ain't backing up Winston....anywhere.  Dude is waaaayyyyy to prideful.  He knows he's better than Jameis and won't take a back seat to him.

Edited by 45catfan

Just now, 45catfan said:

I can think of 31, well 30, other scenarios first.  Cam ain't backing up Winston....anywhere.  Dude is waaaayyyyy to prideful.  He knows he's better than Jameis and won't take a back seat to him.

There are a lot of people who question whether Newton is willing to be a backup.

I seriously question whether anybody's offering him a starting job though.

• Pie 2

The NFL keeps tweaking the game to get high flying, high scoring offenses. If you don't have an elite QB, you gotta keep swinging until you land one. Any other approach is basically foregoing the opportunity for competing for titles. It's getting crazy with QBs, but the position is just THAT absurdly valuable in today's NFL.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Nasty drought there for a few years. We lucked in with Cam. Since 2017 that has changed. Watson and Mahomes in the 1st, yes please and thank you. 

Always funny when guys pick ranges like this to push a narrative. I’d argue the more recent data is more relevant than pre 2016. 

I'm not sure why the article tries to single out first round qbs like you shouldnt take a qb in the first. I wonder what the metric is on second round qbs or 4th? fact is thats just the nature of the beast. teams are moving on sooner rather than later to stay younger. Your best option is still a first round qb.

The league is less patient they want success and want it the first game of a rookies career , some people are quick learners and some are not , some get better with experience and learn more slowly which teams cut and will be better on other teams if giving a chance just like Tannehill