• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lance at #8?

NAS

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am wrong about the draft (when a few years have passed) that I do not pretend to know more than the team scouts.  I was wrong about Cam, Luke, CMC.  Right about Thomas Davis (good pick--I defended him) and Kelvin Benjamin. 

I do not try to predict how these guys will pan out.  It is a total crapshoot with these players almost every time.  There is no such thing as a sure fire lock in this league.  There's too many variables that effect the outcome to predict with any certainty.

12 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am wrong about the draft (when a few years have passed) that I do not pretend to know more than the team scouts.  I was wrong about Cam, Luke, CMC.  Right about Thomas Davis (good pick--I defended him) and Kelvin Benjamin. 

We think a LOT alike.  Exactly the same here.  I was at a draft party the year we took TD.  I told everyone that we are going to take the safety out of Georgia with our pick and people were like a SAFETY, really?  Yep, admittedly wrong on Cam, Luke and CMC too.  But right on most first rounders, including KB and Butler being busts; obviously not the guys I wanted.

Edited by 45catfan

8 minutes ago, section543 said:

Wonder if the Rams are sorry they traded up for Goff when he was a”great prospect?”

Traded (2) 1st, (2) 2nds, and (2) 3rds for that unproven rookie that eventually cost them another (2) 1st and another 3rd to get rid of for a 33 year old QB for a 3-5 year window.

Wasn't Goff their last 1st round pick they have used?  That was 2016

Despite that, they are one of the best teams in the league, and they just upgraded their biggest weakness from a team only 2 years removed from playing in the Super Bowl. They are serious contenders.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, I was wrong about Cam too. I wanted AJ Green that year, and wanted to tank it out for Luck the next year when we picked Luke. I had this dream of Luck to Green for many years. Though Luck and Green were very good, so was Cam and Luke. I was a fan of CMC, just not as a top 10 pick, I was wrong.  

15 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Yeah, I was wrong about Cam too. I wanted AJ Green that year, and wanted to tank it out for Luck the next year when we picked Luke. I had this dream of Luck to Green for many years. Though Luck and Green were very good, so was Cam and Luke. I was a fan of CMC, just not as a top 10 pick, I was wrong.  

Me as well.  I didn't hate the CMC pick, I thought we could have traded back and still got him.  The only way I wanted to stay at #8 (ironic draft slot, right?) was if Thomas or Fournette fell.  Neither did. I figured OJ Howard or CMC would be there if we traded back.  Howard fell to the Bucs mid-round.  Would CMC have lasted several picks later if we traded back?  Again, I didn't hate the CMC pick, simply thought it was a bit rich at #8.  This was the draft year when I began going hard core for a starting caliber TE to compliment and eventually replace Greg Olsen, not to mention the subsequent drafts.  What a obvious, glaring oversight by the team brass.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

This trade (Stafford / Goff) does NOT move the Lions out of the QB conversation in the draft.  I'd say it puts them in it more strongly.  In fact, it seems much more likely they'd be willing to pick Lance.  He's the guy who most evaluators think needs time.  Which is exactly what the Lions have with Goff.

Yea, his contract is kinda toxic the next couple years, but after 2022, there is a CLEAN out for the Lions.

Four QB's before pick eight is an even stronger possibility with this trade done.

Edited by BrianS
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

This trade (Stafford / Goff) does NOT move the Lions out of the QB conversation in the draft.  I'd say it puts them in it more strongly.  In fact, it seems much more likely they'd be willing to pick Lance.  He's the guy who most evaluators think needs time.  Which is exactly what the Lions have with Goff.

Yea, his contract is kinda toxic the next couple years, but after 2022, there is a CLEAN out for the Lions.

Four QB's before pick eight is an even stronger possibility with this trade done.

You don't sit the #7 overall pick for multiple seasons. Complete waste of valuable draft capital.  If you think a QB needs 2+ seasons to be ready, you don't take them that high.

15 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You don't sit the #7 overall pick for multiple seasons. Complete waste of valuable draft capital.  If you think a QB needs 2+ seasons to be ready, you don't take them that high.

You do if you think you won't have a shot at the top 2 pick next year or you think it's a weak QB class. Coaches don't have 4 years to wait for something to pan out. If they like Lance, take him at 7, let him sit a year and compete with Goff in 2022. After 2022 Goff is gone and you have a seasoned starter, not a fresh rookie in your 3rd season as HC. And with 2 extra firsts they can afford a luxury QB pick if they think he's the future. 

It might not make a whole lot of sense in terms of draft capital, but the picture is bigger than that. Year 3 the HC and GM could already be on the hot seat. This is about more than just draft picks. HC and GM have to think about their futures as well. 

• Pie 1

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

You do if you think you won't have a shot at the top 2 pick next year or you think it's a weak QB class. Coaches don't have 4 years to wait for something to pan out. If they like Lance, take him at 7, let him sit a year and compete with Goff in 2022. After 2022 Goff is gone and you have a seasoned starter, not a fresh rookie in your 3rd season as HC. And with 2 extra firsts they can afford a luxury QB pick if they think he's the future. 

It might not make a whole lot of sense in terms of draft capital, but the picture is bigger than that. Year 3 the HC and GM could already be on the hot seat. This is about more than just draft picks. HC and GM have to think about their futures as well. 

Dude nobody is going to draft a qb at 7 and sit him for two years especially when you just acquired a former #1 pick that you owe close to 50 million for.  That is insanely stupid.  They may trade the pick but they sure as hell are not taking a qb.  You are basically wasting the precious rookie contract.  It makes literally no sense.

• Flames 2

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Dude nobody is going to draft a qb at 7 and sit him for two years especially when you just acquired a former #1 pick that you owe close to 50 million for.  That is insanely stupid.  They may trade the pick but they sure as hell are not taking a qb.  You are basically wasting the precious rookie contract.  It makes literally no sense.

^^^^This.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Did I say sit him for 2 years? No. 1. And I'm not sure he would sit that long. Goff is terrible. They didnt trade for Goff to be the future. They traded away cap space for 1sts. I mean I guess you could call the Chiefs idiots for sitting Mahomes for a year and then moving on from Alex Smith. They wasted a year of his rookie contract. 

If you think your QB of the future is there, you take him. Franchise QB is the hardest position to find. No other position matters as much.