• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Carolina and others offered for Stafford

Calboyz13

2 hours ago, Scott12345 said:

#8 & a late rounder was a reasonable offer

I agree. I may have even been willing give up higher choices (like a 3 and 6, or 4 and 7). 

Stafford is going to be better than any rookie coming directly out of college. We'd still have our #2; and our #3 or #4 depending on which package was more acceptable to the Lions. After 2021, all of their compensation would be received.

The Rams gave up a #3 in this years draft in addition to their first round choices in 2022 and 2022. Their highest draft pick for 2021 is a #2. They don't have a  #1 for this year (I think it's because of the Jalen Ramsey deal with Jacksonville).

There's no way the Panther could've afforded to give up #1 choices in 2 consecutive years (2022 and 2023) and their 2nd highest draft choice in 2021, which would have been a 2nd round pick. I think their offer was reasonable. I'm glad the Rams are getting fleeced instead of the Panthers.

39 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Houston losing picks if they wait till after draft after all the qbs get drafted in first rd. Don’t see that happening 

You're missing the point.  NOTHING has happened.  Deshaun has *said* he's unhappy.  He's *said* he wants out.  That's all.

None of those things are meaningful.

Deshaun has zero leverage here.  He signed a contract!  The no trade clause doesn't represent leverage to get him out, it represents leverage to keep him in Houston.

His leverage to leave doesn't start until he holds out!  Even then, it's still not really up to him.  If Houston digs in they can force him to play or sit out.  If he plays, Houston wins.  If he sits out, Deshaun loses a year of his career.

Heads Houston wins, tails Deshaun loses.

Remind me again who has the leverage here?

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

32 minutes ago, BrianS said:

You're missing the point.  NOTHING has happened.  Deshaun has *said* he's unhappy.  He's *said* he wants out.  That's all.

Deshaun has zero leverage here.  He signed a contract!  The no trade clause doesn't represent leverage to get him out, it represents leverage to keep him in Houston.

His leverage to leave doesn't start until he holds out!  Even then, it's still not really up to him.  If Houston digs in they can force him to play or sit out.  If he plays, Houston wins.  If he sits out, Deshaun loses a year of his career.

Spot on.

This is a response I recently received to a similar post:

"It sounds like you're putting 19th and 20th century antiquated solutions on a pedestal... "

That one was a real winner!

• Poo 1

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Jets checked in. I never bought that they were sold on sticking with Darnold. I'm still not at all convinced they don't take a QB at #3.

#2?, but yeah.  When I saw the Jets name, it was like tipping your hand at the poker table.  Everyone is now folding or all in. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

#2?, but yeah.  When I saw the Jets name, it was like tipping your hand at the poker table.  Everyone is now folding or all in. 

I don't think it was a full tell.  Honestly I think the Jets are in the market for a premier veteran QB.  Unless they can get the Jags to budge out of the #1 spot for Trevor, I don't think think they necessarily draft QB and start from scratch all over again.  Sets them back another 2-3 years.

45 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Lol ok your wrong. I was just listening and they said Watson has close to 90% of the leverage like I said Houston loses no matter what. Don’t trade him before draft lose capitol, and you wait him out or just let him sit what are u getting then? NOTHING 

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Watson does not want to go to jets, you seen how he looks out there losing with the Texans. Not saying he is coming here even though I would like to see it. I see him going to the 49ers, I really could see that happening.

13 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Lol ok your wrong. I was just listening and they said Watson has close to 90% of the leverage like I said Houston loses no matter what. Don’t trade him before draft lose capitol, and you wait him out or just let him sit what are u getting then? NOTHING 

You'd be well served to discount just about everything Stan Norfleet says --- he's dumber than Nick Wilson and that's saying a LOT!

I literally cannot believe Norfleet remains employed in the medium, it's a sad commentary on the state of affairs in that industry.

@BrianS is 100% right, Stan the Dolt is 100% wrong.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

16 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Lol and getting nothing for him. Keep him and turn down all those picks and players yep your funny.

You clearly don't understand.

Watson has a LIMITED lifespan.  If he gives up a year (or more) to be dumb that's on him.  He signed a contract, he either has to fulfill that contract or sit out in protest.  That sitting out yields him zero dollars, and it doesn't count toward any of his years.  The longer he drags his feet, the less money he makes.  The Texans only have to pay him while he's fulfilling the terms.

He's stuck.  He signed.  He can stomp his feet and act like a child about it all he wants.  Everyone works for a living, he's no different.  The people who pay him hold all the cards.  For him, it's even worse.  If I have a large enough disagreement with my boss, I can walk.  I don't have a contract.

Anyone who can't see that is blind, engaging in wishful thinking or fishing for clicks.  Choose one.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

I won't say he has zero leverage, but his leverage involves potentially returning a huge portion of his signing bonus.  You get this, many others do not.  The statement about what the no trade clause means is spot on.  If the team approaches him saying they want to trade him to the Lions, he can refuse to waive it and that potential trade falls by the way side.

But, he approached the team (sort of) saying he wants a trade.  That does not waive the no-trade clause, but if he provides them a list of teams he is open to going to and they can't work out a trade that is good for the Texans, he is a Texan.  The Texans are not obligated to trade him, they are more or less only obligated to trade him to a team he agrees to go to IF they trade him at all.

The signing bonus is not for merely signing the contract.  It is for signing the contract and then honoring it.  If the team terminates the contract by releasing him, he keeps the signing bonus because he lived up to his end and would have (presumably) honored it until the end had the team not terminated it.  If he breaches it and things go completely down the sewer, the pro-rated part of the signing bonus goes with it.

BrianS, does he eventually become a free agent or does the contractual clock just stop indefinitely until he returns to the team or announces his retirement?  I'm too lazy to look that part up.

• Beer 1