• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The new sheriff(s) in town

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If we trade back, Newman or Trask have to be the targets.  I can't see us not drafting QB at all this year and anything beyond a 3rd rounder is pointless.  We are looking for a starter, not a backup.

Do not sleep on Trask.  I actually don't think he makes it out of the first round.  If Elway were still the GM in Denver I wouldn't expect him to get past Denver.  Heck, Elway is still the President or something, I would not be AT ALL surprised to see them grab Trask.

All those things Mac Jones hasn't shown?  Yea, Trask has shown them.  Big NFL arm.  Timing and placement.  Good lower body mechanics.  Lesser talent around him, ugly pockets, coming from behind and he still got it done.  Oh, and excellent locker room and leadership.  I know most folks don't see it, but the guy is a first rounder.  The only thing Trask doesn't do well is run.  He slides and climbs well, but doesn't run well.

Just now, OldhamA said:

Here's the thing, let's say he's got the same physical talent as Bridgewater, but he's not as afraid as Teddy is to push the ball down the field.

That instantly makes him a better QB and probably results in a couple more wins last season. 

That makes him what? Jared Goff? The Rams just traded him and two 1sts for Matt Stafford. That's not good enough.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Beerfacedlegend said:

Never said he’s going to be the next time Brady winning wise but he has the same traits as Brady stats wise and talent wise

Yeah, so does a long, long list of guys who didn't make it in the NFL. And Brady's arm was significantly better IMO. Jones' arm is probably roughly equal to Brady's current arm.

Just now, BrianS said:

Do not sleep on Trask.  I actually don't think he makes it out of the first round.  If Elway were still the GM in Denver I wouldn't expect him to get past Denver.  Heck, Elway is still the President or something, I would not be AT ALL surprised to see them grab Trask.

All those things Mac Jones hasn't shown?  Yea, Trask has shown them.  Big NFL arm.  Timing and placement.  Good lower body mechanics.  Lesser talent around him, ugly pockets, coming from behind and he still got it done.  Oh, and excellent locker room and leadership.  I know most folks don't see it, but the guy is a first rounder.  The only thing Trask doesn't do well is run.  He slides and climbs well, but doesn't run well.

I love trask as well my algorithms and film study show Mac jones trask and Trevor Lawrence as the best and most safe but tre lance has a chance to be the best out of the bunch but comes with risk 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

We now know that the Panthers aggressively went after Matt Stafford, and just about landed him. By all accounts, if not for the Rams upping their offer, Stafford might be on his way to being a Panther right now.

That tells me that when Scott Fitterer talked about this team being aggressive as far as talent acquisition in the future, he wasn't kidding.

Quick Note: That doesn't mean we're getting Desean Watson and that's not what this is about.

What it is about is that offseasons are probably gonna look a lot different than they used to. How people feel about that is likely to depend a lot on whether the players they're aggressively pursuing are players you like or not. Responses to the news about Stafford have already shown that.

So I'm kind of wondering what people's way too early feelings are about where we're headed at this point, specifically how they feel about the directions Fitterer and Rhule are likely to take us in.

Well we tried the other route and never had a back to back winning season.  I'm all for it.

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This is exactly how I see it.  People who are high on Jones haven't watched the tape enough.  Show me Mac Jones consistently fitting balls into tight windows with placement, timing and velocity.  Show me Mac Jones bringing his team back.  Show me Mac Jones lifting his team despite the quality of the players around him not being up to the standard.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

Yes, Mac's numbers looked fantastic.  But they are front runner numbers.  His line kept him clean, his receivers were wide open.  He had all the time in the world to get thru his progressions.  That ain't the NFL.

Bringing his team back? He didn’t need to he played amazing and unstoppable, yes he had talent at wr . Look at the same team Lawrence and Mac jones vs Ohio state . Mac jones shredded them and Lawrence croaked 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This is how I see it playing out.  If Wilson and Lance are gone at #8, we trade back targeting Newman in the second round.  However, if Trask makes it past the mid-round QB needy teams, especially past Indy at #21, I think we repackage some of that #8 trade back capital, jump back into the first round and take Trask.

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The only things Elway can see in a QB prospect based in his draft history is height and arm strength. Trask checks one of those boxes but he definitely doesn't check the other.

Feleipe Franks screams Elway pick.

33 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This is exactly how I see it.  People who are high on Jones haven't watched the tape enough.  Show me Mac Jones consistently fitting balls into tight windows with placement, timing and velocity.  Show me Mac Jones bringing his team back.  Show me Mac Jones lifting his team despite the quality of the players around him not being up to the standard.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

Yes, Mac's numbers looked fantastic.  But they are front runner numbers.  His line kept him clean, his receivers were wide open.  He had all the time in the world to get thru his progressions.  That ain't the NFL.

Just how much have you watched Mac Jones play?

I feel like the people that HAVEN'T watched him play look at the talent around him and assume that everyone is wide open and he has all day to throw the ball.

That's absolutely not the case. I'd actually attribute half of his success to Sarkisian (and the army of analysts that support him) - their game planning on offence was ridiculous. Just look at the National Championship game - how the fug do you have a MLB covering the #1 WR?

The other half of his success? A combination of the talent around him and his own talent. I can't fault him for never bringing his team back from behind because he never let his team get down - he kept them on track offensively. 

Mac Jones wins at the next level with the 6 inches inbetween his ears. I can't tell you whether he's going to be brilliant, but so far he's absorbed and processed every bit of information Alabama / Sarkisian and Rhule (for a week) has thrown at him. He's an interesting prospect.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also related to this discussion...

Been thinking it since Fitts was hired...that we would likely be trading back, and the love between Jones and Rhule may make that decision a lot easier.

Since we screwed up the rebuild like I knew we would, I'd prefer a trade back, unless the QB we love falls to 8, or we can grab Sewell.

Moving up to 2 for Wilson would cost a ton, Watson is going to cost a TON.  Taking Mac Jones at 8 would be a bad bad move.  Taking a LB at 8 is a bad move.

Trade back, pick up some ammo that Marty pissed away, and build it slowly.

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If we trade back, Newman or Trask have to be the targets.  I can't see us not drafting QB at all this year and anything beyond a 3rd rounder is pointless.  We are looking for a starter, not a backup.

I'd say Jones is more likely.

Honestly, after his Senior Bowl performance I'm not convinced Newman is gonna get drafted at all. Seems more likely he'll catch on as a UDFA somewhere.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also related to this discussion...

I personally think we sit there at #8 and if the QB / standout A.N. Other prospect we think is worth the #8 overall pick isn't there we trade down. 

That could mean trading down with a Fields / Wilson / Lance on the board. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, that's a bullsh-t take from Chris Simms.

Stafford had other destinations he liked better, but he would have come here.

Just saying--Chris Simms more than not has been pretty spot in the last few years with his intel and even draft rankings. 

But his sources come from SF soooo them missing out on Stafford, he may be getting info that makes that org look better.