• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jameis Winston starting in NO next year?????

kungfoodude

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I cannot believe they have skated as long as they have. The mess this is going to create will make Hurney 1.0's look like a crumb. 

But, in fairness, they maintained a hell of a competitive window. Absolutely dropped the ball on what should have been 1-2 titles. 

My memory of what all shenanigans the 49ers pulled in the 90s is vague (well, my memory on a lot of things is vague), but that would be the only run that could compare with the Saints.  Both had similar results: they did win a title, but they also had several other opportunities that they could not cash in on. 

The 49ers at least had the Cowboys and Packers to contend with.  The Saints really did not have hills that high to get over, with the possible exception of a couple of years of Seahawks and 49ers, but they really only had one playoff game against either of them during their heydays (Seattle following the 2013 season).

Maybe it's me, but one championship in a string of winning seasons followed by swings and misses in the playoffs does not seem worth the eventual cratering that follows.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

My memory of what all shenanigans the 49ers pulled in the 90s is vague (well, my memory on a lot of things is vague), but that would be the only run that could compare with the Saints.  Both had similar results: they did win a title, but they also had several other opportunities that they could not cash in on. 

The 49ers at least had the Cowboys and Packers to contend with.  The Saints really did not have hills that high to get over, with the possible exception of a couple of years of Seahawks and 49ers, but they really only had one playoff game against either of them during their heydays (Seattle following the 2013 season).

Maybe it's me, but one championship in a string of winning seasons followed by swings and misses in the playoffs does not seem worth the eventual cratering that follows.

It is worth it if it works out and in their case it did not work out at all. This has been building since about 2014/2015. They have not been able to capitalize on all this credit spending. 

Ya hate to see it.....

smile GIF by Steve Harvey TV

The next 2 seasons of Roster management here in Carolina are going to be critically important; so glad Marty will be in Washington trying to grab a beer with an old chum. 

We seem strapped right now, but if we shed the dead weight and sign some young rookies to take their jobs, we could be sitting pretty by 2023.   Once we stop paying RBs like LTs, and once we stop paying backup QBs like established starters...but cutting the big contracts is not going to take much away from this team----Short?  Paradis? Thompson?  And we can't pay Moton? 

Let's take a look at the situation (and this cap figure is assumed by OTC):

Currently:  Under the Cap figure (OTC)   $7,100,000

CUT NOW

Michael Palardy                              $1,900,000  (Charlton plays for over a million less)

Stephen Weatherly                         $6,000,000 (no brainer)

KK Short                                          $8,600,000

Note:  Panthers could go ahead and cut KK Short now, which would save $8,600,000 as opposed to $13m+ post June 1.  Since KK money seems to be needed now, that could be the play, but I am including his cap savings here and in June 1 cuts as well.

Signing Moton:  If this is all we do now—cutting these 3 players which seems very possible, the cap room climbs to about $23.5m.  Since we need to sign Moton if we can, we need to restructure some contracts to add Moton and a veteran or two.  Those Bridgewater and CMC contracts were crazy.  Bridgewater should have been paid on a one-year “prove it” deal and CMC’s contract does not sequre his time here, it threatens it. Guessing that we need about $9m for rookies.

June 1 Cut Options

KK Short                                        $13,200,000  (If not cut now)

Shaq Thompson                          $11,000,000 (is he worth $14m? —trade if possible)

Matt Paradis                                  $8,500,000 (our only starting OL under contract….)

Teddy Bridgewater                       $8,000,000  (I do not see this happening with a rookie QB coming in)

Notes:  KK will probably never play another down here, but if we can cut him after June 1, the benefit is over $4m….Shaq is a solid LB who should be drawing an average LB salary.  I am not sure that he is a great fit in Snow’s scheme.  Regardless, nothing makes sense with him before June 1, and he, like Paradis, could get a year by default…Paradis is likely to be flanked by a rookie G, a current bench player, or and a veteran free agent G.  It is possible that 2 new faces at T cap the ends of the OL.  I doubt they move the only returning starter under contract, but the option is there.  

Get this….

A Post June 1 trade of Bridgewater would save the Panthers about $18m.  There are so many teams seeking a QB, might a team need a guy with decent stats for a season?  Cutting him Post June 1 saves about $8m.

Edited by MHS831

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The next 2 seasons of Roster management here in Carolina are going to be critically important; so glad Marty will be in Washington trying to grab a beer with an old chum. 

We seem strapped right now, but if we shed the dead weight and sign some young rookies to take their jobs, we could be sitting pretty by 2023.   Once we stop paying RBs like LTs, and once we stop paying backup QBs like established starters...but cutting the big contracts is not going to take much away from this team----Short?  Paradis? Thompson?  And we can't pay Moton? 

Let's take a look at the situation (and this cap figure is assumed by OTC):

Currently:  Under the Cap figure (OTC)   $7,100,000

CUT NOW

Michael Palardy                              $1,900,000  (Charlton plays for over a million less)

Stephen Weatherly                         $6,000,000 (no brainer)

KK Short                                             $8,600,000 (we should wait post june 1 may need to sign Moton)

Note:  Pnthers could go ahead and cut KK Short now, which would save $8,600,000.  Since KK money seems to be needed now, that could be the play, but I am including his cap savings here and in June 1 cuts as well.

Signing Moton:  If this is all we do now—cutting these 3 players which seems very possible, the cap room climbs to about $23.5m.  Since we need to sign Moton if we can, we need to restructure some contracts to add Moton and a veteran or two.  Those Bridgewater and CMC contracts were crazy.  Bridgewater should have been paid on a one-year “prove it” deal and CMC’s contract does not sequre his time here, it threatens it. Guessing that we need about $9m for rookies.

June 1 Cut Options

KK Short                                        $13,200,000  (If not cut now)

Shaq Thompson                          $11,000,000 (is he worth $14m?  I have not seen it—trade if possible)

Matt Paradis                                  $8,500,000 (our only starting OL under contract….)

Teddy Bridgewater                       $8,000,000  (I do not see this happening with a rookie QB coming in)

Notes:  KK will probably never play another down here, but if we can cut him after June 1, the benefit is over $4m….Shaq is a solid LB who should be drawing an average LB salary.  I am not sure that he is a great fit in Snow’s scheme.  Regardless, nothing makes sense with him before June 1, and he, like Paradis, could get a year by default…Paradis is likely to be flanked by a rookie G, a current bench player, or and a veteran free agent G.  It is possible that 2 new faces at T cap the ends of the OL.  I doubt they move the only returning starter under contract, but the option is there.  

Get this….

A Post June 1 trade of Bridgewater would save the Panthers about $18m.  There are so many teams seeking a QB, might a team need a guy with decent stats for a season?  Cutting him Post June 1 saves about $8m.

We can trade Teddy post June first, it is just a matter of what kind of draft pick it may cost us. Could be a 1st-3rd rounder.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

It really is time to pay the band.  I see a closing window--or closed one--if you look at their roster, cap figure, and draft capital.

OTC shows Taysom Hill with a cap figure of $16m.  Let that sink in.  The same as their LT and within 3 million of the cap figures for Michael Thomas and Cam Jordan. Hill has the 4th highest salary on the team if Brees retires.

That magical 2017 draft bill is finally coming due. That was a lot of cheap talent for the last 4 years.

image.png.418dd9d54d28c286b470e130d475ebd4.png

• Beer 1

Can someone please explain to me why it’s a better idea to trade away the franchise for deshaun Watson rather then keeping what we have including the 8th pick and signing jameis? 

Deshaun as good as he is, has had very limited success with that talent and a premier WR.. no playoff wins.. average records and the team we’d have around him wouldn’t be any better then what he had in Houston, so what makes us think he is the answer? 

26 minutes ago, ChayZ704 said:

Can someone please explain to me why it’s a better idea to trade away the franchise for deshaun Watson rather then keeping what we have including the 8th pick and signing jameis? 

Deshaun as good as he is, has had very limited success with that talent and a premier WR.. no playoff wins.. average records and the team we’d have around him wouldn’t be any better then what he had in Houston, so what makes us think he is the answer? 

You talking about the same Jameis that had 30 ints in one year? LMAO

Just now, BurnNChinn said:

You talking about the same Jameis that had 30 ints in one year? LMAO

Lol yeah the same jameis that beat us and the same one who has had the same success in a career as deshaun. But sounds like you’d rather give up the players in your name to get Watson huh? 

36 minutes ago, ChayZ704 said:

Watson is an established elite NFL QB. Winston is an erratic gunslinger with elite attributes but fatal flaws. I would have no issue bringing in Winston on a 1 year deal but he isn't in the same class as Watson, at the moment. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, ChayZ704 said:

Lol yeah the same jameis that beat us and the same one who has had the same success in a career as deshaun. But sounds like you’d rather give up the players in your name to get Watson huh? 

I don't know how you can say they've had the same success.  Watson has been a far more reliable QB.

I actually like Jameis, but Watson is on a whole other level.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, ChayZ704 said:

I don’t think we get Watson I think we draft a one and probably move up for one which I think would be stupid too. Honestly if ur giving up picks to move up for an unknown u might as well trade for Watson but that’s what I think. But if you think Jameis is anywhere near Watson your ridiculous. This guy got a 1 million contract to be a backup, I’m sorry but you wrong on this one.

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Brett Favre had a 29 INT season. Peyton Manning had a 28 INT season.

Lol

yea Manning’s rookie season

and Favre did it after a decade

and yea both came close in like 15+ season career

and they also played in a time QBs and WRs got knocked around

Jameis beat em both in only 5 years in a pass happy, protected league with rules to benefit him

and to add to the obvious he’s no Manning he’s not Favre either, though it’s be a better comparison except again, Favre did it better in a harder era

No thanks. 

18 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Lol

yea Manning’s rookie season

and Favre did it after a decade

and yea both came close in like 15+ season career

and they also played in a time QBs and WRs got knocked around

Jameis beat em both in only 5 years in a pass happy, protected league with rules to benefit him

and to add to the obvious he’s no Manning he’s not Favre either, though it’s be a better comparison except again, Favre did it better in a harder era

No thanks. 

I mean, I guess any way you want to twist the narrative. The fact is that was an outlier season for all three QB's. Well.....except for Favre who actually had six 20+ INT seasons. 

Winston's 4.8% INT Percentage in 2019 would have actually been the third highest in Peyton Manning's career and tied for the second highest in Brett Favre's career. 

But again, I guess only Winston has had a terrible season in NFL history.