• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking at the QB class from a different perspective: Character

blueandblackattack

Sometimes it's not how they say things but what they say, what the subject of their narrative is.

What impressed me there about Trey Lance (and I hadn't been thinking of him as a good choice until now) is how quickly he deflected the praise not just to one teammate, but to others who were in supporting roles. His own accomplishments didn't seem to be on his verbal radar. In this day of self-promotion and branding, it's pretty darned refreshing.

He came off not just as an intelligent guy, but a thoughtful one, too. He seemed aware that he was part of something and not that there was a team hanging onto the hem of his cape.

Teams like KC are winning big right now because it is a team performance. Not to say Mahomes isn't amazingly skilled (because he certainly is), but there is definitely a feel that this a team from the coaching staff down to the special teams players.

Lance seems to be that kind of guy. And it sure sounds like Rhule is that kind of coach. It could be very good to have them both here.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Have you even read about Lance? There's more to him than eloquence (as the OP referenced). I must say, your posts in regards to Lance seem a little tepid at best. 

I was more defending Fields. Most people are not good at public speaking. To assume they lack character as a result probably isn't wise. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Zod said:

I was more defending Fields. Most people are not good at public speaking. To assume they lack character as a result probably isn't wise. 

True, but when it is a big deal, whether you are getting up in front of 10 reporters or 52 players plus coaches, you need to be able to say what needs to be said, inspire confidence and lead with nothing but your words. It makes a huge difference.

For the Panthers alone, you can look at Jake Delhomme's best seasons and see that kind of leadership and ability to speak to people. Even with that Cajun accent, Jake could rally a team or a fanbase by just being so genuine and earnest. 

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 4

33 minutes ago, Zod said:

I can drink to that. Perhaps "character" may not be the best choice in terms. Maybe "mindset" or "demeanor" which may speak to one's professional fit for the job.

• Beer 1