• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Likely to trade up?

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Ultimately I hope the asking price to move these guys gets so ludicrous that everyone decides it's best just to stick with current QB, at least for this year.  Who does that help in the draft?  The Panthers.  If the draft order stays as is, we should be a lock to pick one of the 'big 4' without having to move up ourselves.

I'm not so sure about that. Especially if Wentz gets moved. This also assumes that our evaluation of the prospects agrees with a "big four". We don't necessarily know that the Panthers love all four of those prospects.

• Beer 1

I really believe what we have right now is a manufactured sellers' market. Not everyone being dangled out there is going to be worth what some fools are willing to pay.

Smart money would wait until Feb. 23rd at the earliest (start of tagging players for franchise/transition designations AND the beginning of the Combine) and possibly even waiting until right before the Draft on April 29th.

But, but, but... we might miss someone! Well yeah, I don't necessarily see it as a problem. For every Steve Young picked up, there are 20 Josh Rosens. Look at how much LA gave up for Stafford... a guy who has never won a playoff game and has more losing seasons than winning ones! That was ludicrous! And heck, I like Stafford, but really???

Let someone else mortgage their entire team's future for someone who might be hiding some injuries, inabilities or downright bad judgement. 

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Ultimately I hope the asking price to move these guys gets so ludicrous that everyone decides it's best just to stick with current QB, at least for this year.  Who does that help in the draft?  The Panthers.  If the draft order stays as is, we should be a lock to pick one of the 'big 4' without having to move up ourselves.

Maybe. We know Jacksonville is taking one. The Jets, Falcons and Lions could easily take a QB before us without changing anything about their QB situation at all. That is a hedged bet with an easy out. The Jets can move on from Darnold with no issue, the Falcons can move on from Matt Ryan in a year or two. The Lions can move on from Goff in a year or two. All with tradeable assets at QB.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Maybe. We know Jacksonville is taking one. The Jets, Falcons and Lions could easily take a QB before us without changing anything about their QB situation at all. That is a hedged bet with an easy out. The Jets can move on from Darnold with no issue, the Falcons can move on from Matt Ryan in a year or two. The Lions can move on from Goff in a year or two. All with tradeable assets at QB.

You can make a very good argument for a QB for five of the seven teams in front of us and that's if you buy the Dolphins being sold on Tua. If you don't, then it's six of the seven teams.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd love to know the answer to this. Everyone talks about the "big four" QB prospects but our evaluations might have them ranked pretty far apart for all we know.

I think the bulk of the league will have a pretty big spread of their rankings. Some of them are going to be a lot more polarizing than others.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not so sure about that. Especially if Wentz gets moved. This also assumes that our evaluation of the prospects agrees with a "big four". We don't necessarily know that the Panthers love all four of those prospects.

Again, if everyone sits tight with their current QB.  With the inflated QB market right now, it's very possible.  That said, if guys aren't moved, I don't see the Jets, Falcons, Eagles or Lions drafting a QB.  At most one and that would be the Jets as an insurance plan for Darnold.

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Again, if everyone sits tight with their current QB.  With the inflated QB market right now, it's very possible.  That said, if guys aren't moved, I don't see the Jets, Falcons, Eagles or Lions drafting a QB.  At most one and that would be the Jets as an insurance plan for Darnold.

Darnold threw for single digits TDs this year and there's a new staff in place. Honestly, them sticking with Darnold would be a lot more surprising than them moving on IMO. I think the falcons stick with Ryan but I wouldn't be shocked if they take this opportunity to secure his successor. Same for the Lions and Goff. All indications are that Wentz is as good as gone. Maybe they decide to give Hurts a legit shot but with Wentz gone I'd say there's a good chance they go QB.